Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Advice for a Brit looking to import and sell

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:57 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a Brit looking to import and sell

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but not to Land Rovers (or Landy's over here!). I've owned a 1982 series 3 2.3L petrol and a 1993 200tdi discovery so far (currently driving a Skoda though ).

So...

In about a or month or so I'll be moving to Providence with work for at least 6 months.

I noticed that 90s, 110s, defenders and even series vehicles seem to be in pretty high demand in the USA, so that's got me toying with the idea of importing 1 to sell, maybe more in the future, who knows!!

So my question to you, my fellow Landy lovers, is what are the most sought after models, engines etc that I could bring over? Bear in mind that I can only bring over a vehicle that is AT LEAST 25 years old to keep the folks at the DOT happy and it has to be completely original (unless I want to see it crushed of course!). So this means series vehicles, pre "defender" 90s and 110s. There's also a lot of ex British Army vehicles here too if they're of any interest.

Hopefully some of you can help me out here.

Thanks!! Joe.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

heh Joe. I'm an exPat living in Seattle. 5 door LHD 110's bring the highest dollar amount, followed by 90's.

(says the guy who drives a S3 109 County )

The following users liked this post:
jmattley (05-19-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

do some reading over on Land Rover Defender Forum - Defender & Series Owners Community it is all spelled out over there.

Keep in mind that not only do they need to be 25 years old they need to be basically bone stock.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 AM
6th Gear

Cheers guys. I think the tricky bit will be finding a good 25 year plus stock vehicle!

Are ex MoD (Army) popular over there? I ask as these regularly go at auctions and are generally in mint condition. Something like this Land Rover Defender 110 Tithonus Soft top Military EX MOD Army 1987 diesel | eBay

Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

They sell over here no problem but generally are the cheapest offerings.

Keep in mind that it is easier to sell once it's in country and has a clean title in hand. To many shady folks have been bringing these trucks in badly misrepresented, so you will have some hurdles to overcome

Last edited by ArmyRover; 05-18-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My advice. Bring over the roughest original vehicle you can find, then rebuild it here.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
heh Joe. I'm an exPat living in Seattle. 5 door LHD 110's bring the highest dollar amount, followed by 90's.

(says the guy who drives a S3 109 County )
Cheers mate. What about engines? I imagine V8s will be the most popular? What about diesels with and without turbos?

Also, I imagine it's been discussed to death, but I'm trying to clarify the import process from a paperwork point of view.

The CBP basically says that I have to register the vehicle at the port of entry. Does this basically mean that I put the car in a container, when it lands, fill out the CBP 7501 form, give it to the CBP with the V5, proof of purchase etc and that's it? Feel free to PM me incase this turns into another "how to import etc" thread .

Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 AM
6th Gear

How do you lovely folks feel about these?

Land Rover , UNDER DEPOSIT, #78473 - MOD Sales, Military Vehicles & Used Ex MOD Land Rovers for Sale

They were basically overhauled by the British Army meaning they're in great condition for the age. They also fitted roll cages!

Old 05-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I personally think the ex mod ones are the ones to get from a buyer's perspective because they are the cheapest and likely to be in great shape. Diesels are the most desirable. Manual transmissions, too. Basically, the things we can't get here. I reflexively hesitate, though, when I consider the lack of parts and anyplace to service them if I get in over my head.

I looked into this a couple of years ago and spent hours, if not days, watching videos, perusing sale ads, and reading import requirements and processes. I stopped short when the romanticism of having a green, basic truck with a tire on the hood and no windows in the back confronted my basically urban life. Where I live the police would probably stop me just to see what I am up to every time I drive to the grocery store.

From a seller's perspective I think the most remunerative option is to buy bone stock rovers and make them pretty. There will always be people who want to do their own restoration, but the most seller value is realized in figuring out the import process, taking financial risk, getting them registered/titled, and appealing to mainstream buyers. Mainstream buyers want a air conditioning, powerful engines that can easily do 80 on the interstate and tow a trailer (even if they don't have a trailer), power steering and brakes, five doors, and comfortable seats, and don't want a project.

Just my. 02 cents worth.

Having someone in England who can confirm the eligibility of particular vehicles (for import) and make sure that their condition is acceptable before buying and shipping them would be an amazing advantage. Even if you just stuck with basic, mod defenders (least financial risk) and kept your profit to a reasonable amount, you could surely sell a few a month; and if you do that I'll be one of your customers.

However, there already importers who fly all over (they claim), ship them back and put 20000 dollar engine/transmission combinations in them, new seats, etc. The prices for those trucks, once done, are outrageous and widely palatable only in places like New York and the People's Republic of California. Maybe there is a niche market for basic ones. I think the volume for basic ones would be much higher, even if your profit per unit would be much lower.

I think basic D90s with diesel engines and manual transmissions would sell all day long if the price was no more than twice of a comparable jeep.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 05-19-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

There are quite a few different groups of perspective defender owners.

Honestly, the v8 engine does not have a good reputation here, so many shops are legally bringing in tired original trucks and then rebuilding on a galvanized chassis with a 300tdi in it.

That then brings up the "50 state legal" problem in that not all states will allow for an engine swap with a non homologated engine.

The real expensive defenders being built by ECR are now coming with new Chevrolet ls3 engines. Easily serviceable here in the USA and a 50 state emissions compliant truck that just so happens to make 400hp....

When I'm looking for a defender from home I usually assume it's all rotten and needs replaced if my goal is a high end build.

Finally prices have really spiked in the uk with the hoopla surrounding end of production and there are suddenly lots of "what's it worth" posts popping up by opportunistic defender owners.

The trucks I would be buying, would be the engine swapped non legal MOT failures. I'd pull the engine, and import the rolling chassis and body. For top dollar, I'd have to redo the whole interior anyway (most folks use exmoor trim) , replace the chassis, throw in an ls3 and big brake kit, freshen up the suspension and bodywork and away you go.

Lot of work involved in that though and most of the opportunistic sellers are just doing interiors and trying to sell a tired, mostly original truck for high dollar amounts.

I could easily get to a 60k BOM on a defender rebuild if I was redoing the entire vehicle, and that would be doing a lot of the work myself. Definitely not for the faint of heart

With regards to the ex MOD vehicles, it again depends on the perspective buyer. For an every day driver in the USA, the NAD doesn't really manage freeway speeds well. I'd look at an ex-mod as a way to assume that the bulkhead and chassis most likely do not need replaced. 5 door station wagon will command the highest price (I think) with the broadest perspective customer base (I think).

Not a lot of folks on this forum may have the appetite or means to drop upwards of 60k on a rebuilt defender. We're mostly a D2 community with several of us also owning 90's/110's and series vehicles. That said there's probBly a higher market on this forum for a lower priced well maintained ex mod 110 that would be used primarily as an off-road rig.

I daily drove my 109 CSW 200tdi for about a month while working on my D2 and it was brutal

Last edited by Robert Booth; 05-19-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice for a Brit looking to import and sell