Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

4wd gear selector

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

In mine I had to remove and disassemble the shifter, the large pin that rotates and slides left right I tried everything to free the left right and finally resorted to a vise with large brass drift and lead hammer had to really wail on it a few times, it is a tight fit and rust had set in locking it in place, wish I had pics

Btw I now see he is stating back right which is unlock but he is stuck in lock so... does the shifter not move left right?

Last edited by TOM R; 04-21-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am stuck on right position can move forward and walk. I am aware that is UNLOCKED but i am locked. when i try and go left it is very very difficult.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

its not even worth diagnosing over a keyboard further. i tried doing that, banging it w a hammer, etc. just pull all of it out and look at whats going on. there is a video on youtube of some british guy showing how the shifter works with a drivetrain out of the truck, it was helpful to me.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MM3846
its not even worth diagnosing over a keyboard further. i tried doing that, banging it w a hammer, etc. just pull all of it out and look at whats going on. there is a video on youtube of some british guy showing how the shifter works with a drivetrain out of the truck, it was helpful to me.

Is this the video you speak of?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:43 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

that isnt it, i looked and couldnt find it... i got the link either from a thread on here or discoweb.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had same issue, shifter wouldn't move for ****. I sprayed the hell out the area and still nothing. I even had someone move the shift as I tried to free it up from under, still nothing. I didn't feel like taking the center con apart so I just knocked loose the "u" shaped link connecting the t-case tab to the shifter shaft. Bingo, the tab moved to unlock the case. Every week I get under it and make sure the tab can move. One day I'll fix it right.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Three Wheeling

OKAY! GOod news! lol took inside apart a little to get to shifter linkages and what not. I lubed it all up and am now able to get out of diff lock and feel through the gears of Lo High and Diff lock lo and high. it def stil a little hard to jump into them. Anyways, the disco is recognizing when I go in and out of lock since dash light is on and off. Driving in lo and driving in high you can feel the difference so thats good. Then, you go to lo and high in unlocked diff and it acts like its in neutral. I put a video up so you can see. In the video I have a hard time getting into lo and high unlocked diff BUT i have put it in and still nothing.. Remember, my front drive shaft isnt on yet! Its sitting in the garage. I want to fix this before I put the new one in. Now to the video! Please let me know what you guys think! Also, before getting locking in High diff lock it was working and driving perfect unlocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Q5...ature=youtu.be

The little nut I show at the end wasnt tight on the spindle that comes out of the shifter so i put that back on and tightened it and worked awesome!

Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Rover is all wheel drive, It will not move diff unlocked with a drive shaft out

Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I figured something gmay be off with the front drive shaft missing. So, i put front drive shaft on and I will be able to have diff unlocked and be fine???

Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Should work that way, just be glad the case is all gears unlike awd explorers with chain that breaks after x milers and leaves you stranded

Quick Reply: 4wd gear selector