Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Alternator suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The truck or your lights? There should be no issues with bolting it on. Lots of people run it or mean greens with more amperage. I'm going to run one as soon as I get a winch

Old 04-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

they had 2 options for me, 200 amp and 220.
220 fo me.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
The truck or your lights? There should be no issues with bolting it on. Lots of people run it or mean greens with more amperage. I'm going to run one as soon as I get a winch

Actually both. I have (4) Hella lights on my Hannibal rack and (2) LR safari lights that I use when off roading. My volts drop from 13.5 to about 11.5 as soon as I turn them on. My fear was the additional amperage and the thin wiring on these disco's would be an issue. But after reading, perhaps not.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
they had 2 options for me, 200 amp and 220.
220 fo me.

Do you remember the part number you got? Was it plug & play? As I said, I never considered Mean Green as an option.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Just popped it in the bracket. Not sure on #
Been a while but I remember sending an email via the info request. Got Quick response. And they hooked up my order. Got starter from them also
I have used them for many years, on several vehicles. Never had an issue.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wrongway1
The District Manager told me I could return it for a refund as he knows this one will crap out too, but then I have nothing to replace it with yet. Going to run this replacement till I get something.
I replaced that Pontiac Sunbird alternator three time then sold it to lady customer who complained it failed shortly. I put something decent on it and never heard any more.

Look the parts store chains are there to sell you parts, any parts at attractive pricing and convince you for example that an 02 code (because they scan for free ) the hand held says so!--In turn they sell you four sensors as well--only to discover that it doesn't fix the job because other non scan-able engine faults are present .

The lifetime warranty mantra bit fits very well into a marketing projection because in most cases the car the DIY'r has bought and installed has been sold to a third party so they get to sell that part again and again and again over the lifetime of the vehicle.

I suppose my pet peeve is the can of refrigerant on the shelf ready to strike devastation to an unsuspecting "walk in" customer with an A/C problem. No certification of purity, often a cocktail mix of undisclosed refrigerant products (remember R40 is very corrosive to alum parts) the oils suspended in the mix and sealant which all reduce the life of a compressor by about 50%. Then they get to sell you a new one!
Not to mention that the DIY'r is often venting the junk into the atmosphere. Something which professionals in the industry are forbidden to do!

With the average life of a vehicle in the US now being 11 years old the potential DIY fix it business is big business.
T/V

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrongway1
All right, I will be installing my 5th Autozone alternator tomorrow in less than 6 months. Seems the bearings they are using aren't sufficient for the task at hand. I am now looking for a supplier who sells rebuilt Land Rover genuine alternators as I used mine as a core.
I went through this with an Acura Legend I had several years ago. The Autozone crap lasted right at a year then the bearing failed.

I've been through a few Alt's on the Disco too. Can change it in ten minutes now LOL. I ended up going to a local family run alt/starter repair shop for mainly industrial equipment. I took them three broken OEM Alt's. For $100 he pieced together two good alt's from the three (plus a few spare parts he had laying around), so I have one on the truck and one spare. Have been running this Alt for ~2 years now. May do an upgrade as mentioned in this thread if this one fails.

Last edited by mordor110; 04-21-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried this alternator? I'm looking for a replacement and it says its 120 amps and seems pretty cheap.

If I understand correctly the RRC alternator is also 120 amps and if rebuilt should work just as well?

I'm looking for something with a little more juice for an aftermarket stereo system, and any future lights I want to add. Potentially winching as well.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't speak to that particular one.

I upgraded to a 120 and bought it from BP Utah last year. It's a Magneti Marelli and was a pretty penny. I don't see it on their site anymore but this was the old link....

Land Rover Discovery Series I OEM Magneti Morelli Denso Alternator

Quick Reply: Alternator suggestion