Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Another Vortec swap thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another Vortec swap thread...

This topic seems to have been waxed and waned more than climate change, evolution, and Lebron vs. Jordan combined. However, I have not heard many hard and fast details about this seemingly perfect arranged marriage. What is the major flaw that most of us dreamers are overlooking?

I am at the proverbial Rover crossroads of what to do with a tired engine that has a blown head gasket, and very likely other worn parts that will need replacing at prices that don't match their material worth. Already I've ordered a Felpro HG kit and new head bolts for $200, and have been told a cylinder service will run $250-300 for the pair. So, I'm looking at a good bit of labor and probably $600 when all is said and done (adding in misc. expenses). That doesn't sound too bad until I realize that this engine is still underpowered and likely would need a 4.6 crank/rod/cam swap to wake it up enough. This would run anywhere from $1-2k (at the least), and that is assuming the block checks out okay.

On the other hand, Marks 4wd adapters has the adapter plate to fit a chevy v6 or v8 to the 4hp22 along with motor mounts. These combined would cost about $1k. A quick craigslist search reveals a plethora of vortec 4.3 and 5.0 engines for sale in good condition with all accessories for under $500. I chose these two engines because in stock form they are powerful enough to be satisfying, and not rip the 4hp22 to shreds. Worst case scenario they could be carbed, and a makeshift instrument panel could be made from aftermarket gauges. Another idea is the GM PCM could replace the Rover's, and perhaps an instrument panel from a certain GM vehicle could be made to fit inside the Rover's instrument panel compartment, basically making it a plug-n-play. I'll admit I am not an expert on the electronics of these engine management systems, but I find it hard to believe a vehicle with such a primitive drivetrain could have an uber complicated ECU that can't be overrun. Same goes for the transmission and it's control module.

Another option is the 4L80e to LT230 adapter which would be a bit more work fitting and mounting the combo, but once mounted you basically have a fresh start. A donor vehicle GM truck or van with this combo could be had for under $2k all day. The rest of the drive train could handle the power of a 5.7L vortec, and to make it even sweeter, the 4L80e has the exact same ratios in gears 1-3 as the 4hp22. The overdrive is only different by 0.02 (0.73 vs. 0.75).

This all sounds great from a distance, yet it has not been done nearly as much as you'd expect. I assume I'm missing something big here because this swap seems almost inevitable. Any of you out there with more knowledge than I on this please chime in, and help me understand. I'm really considering taking this on if it is largely feasible. Thanks

P.S. I live in Alabama, so I have no yearly inspections to pass.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

read up on shadetree's swap thread, for computer and gm tranny. he did ls3 into d2, and did not adapt.
imo, you are at a great advantage, as the d1/rrc road is paved with many successful swaps. with the availability of adapters for you, it should go rather smoothly.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

I would love to have a gm v6 in mine, more power then the 4.0 gems and probly better milage very sad

Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Well the responses so far are better than I expected. I've contacted Mark's 4WD with specific questions about the bell housing and transfer case adapters. I'm wondering if the full motor and transmission swap would be easier overall assuming I could mate a GM instrument cluster. With engine swap only, I would still possibly get speedometer and fuel readings, but that is all. To go full conversion I'd likely have to swap all electronics down to the GM OBDII port. Again, I have never attempted something like this, but just thinking out loud here. Also, what about ancillaries? The A/C, lights, SECURITY SYSTEM, etc. may be a pain or maybe not.
Would plopping in a carbed engine really be much easier? How do you fool the computer that it's engine is still there and working fine, or can you just remove the ECM altogether?
Hopefully, Mark's 4wd will get back soon, and clear some of this up.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I've given this so much thought my head spins. In my opinion the 4.3 Vortec V6 is the perfect non diesel swap to do. Its light. Its reasonably powerful. Not too much so that it will require an entire drive line change. Its tough as nails. Its plentiful. Its cheap.
I couldn't get passed the dreaming stage with this. At the time i had a OBD2 Discovery and local emissions testing made it impossible to get it legal. Now that I have the OBD1 RRC, it again haunts me.

My idea was to install the V6 with its own simplified engine management system. All emissions equipment as if it were still in a Blazer. Have an ODB port someplace for diagnoses. Then run the old temp sensors etc for the Rover gauges, fooling the rest of the truck into thinking there is still a 3.9 in there. I don't know if MAF values would be anywhere close in the two engines or O2 sensor values. But it seems if you ran both systems you wouldn't have to integrate the two. Thus eliminating the costly confusing merge between the two. You could probably pull the check engine light in the Rover and not have to run anything at all. Like you I was wondering if the rest of the truck was some how associated with the management system. You could run an Ultragauge in the donor Blazers obd port and get all your engine vitals right there.

I like the idea of the rest of the truck rover. Its a great design. I've never had a problem with a 230 or the ZF trans.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 11-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dusty1
read up on shadetree's swap thread, for computer and gm tranny. he did ls3 into d2, and did not adapt.
imo, you are at a great advantage, as the d1/rrc road is paved with many successful swaps. with the availability of adapters for you, it should go rather smoothly.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-thread-63211/

Not an LS3 but other than the different truck/car intakes all the LSx motors are a very similar size.

The adapter route is probably the best way to go to avoid some of the big problems I had.

MC04DII, forgive me I guess I missed what vehicle this swap is for DI maybe?
If you don't mind a short road trip to Odenville, you are welcome to come see my DII. It has a 2004 LM4 (all aluminum) truck motor with 4L60E installed. I could probably be some help to you in deciding which direction to go with your plan.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Well my D1 must have read my mind because I had it out all day and no signs of HG leakage at all. The oil cap underside was bone dry when I got home, and no coolant drips could be found from the backside of the head. This is obviously a good thing, mainly because it buys me more time. I am going to attempt this project probably with a full 96-99 GM donor vehicle. Depending on how the 4.0 acts from now on will decide how soon. I ride a Kawasaki Super Sherpa dual sport most of the time, so the rover isn't driven much. With what seems like an erratic HG (or maybe just plenum) leak, I can plan this well, and save some money in the meantime. The time issue is the main factor being that I'm in school, and rarely have much extra.

I talked to my brother-in-law who just completed a L33/5spd swap into a nice 69 Camaro. He is excited about doing the swap as well, and he'll be a great resource for the GM side of the project. I'll see him all day tomorrow, and I'm sure we'll kick around a few ideas.

So far, my plan is get a 96-99 4x4 GM donor with a 5.7 Vortec/4L80e combo with a good drivetrain and trashed body/interior. A fully dressed 5.7 only weighs about 100 pounds more than a fully dressed Rover engine. The 4L80e is harder to find than the 4L60e as it is only on heavy duty 2500 trucks, Suburbans and Tahoes (harder to find than you may think, but much easier to find than most Rover parts). My assumption is I could strip everything out the donor including ECM, transmission module, OBDII port, etc. If I'm lucky I may be able to fab up the instrument cluster in the Rover instrument panel. I think that would be much easier than trying to get the gauges from each to system to sync. After that it would be figuring out accessories, but with a donor always nearby, hopefully that would be made a bit easier. If all that worked (and logically it should) then it would be able to pass emissions through the GM installed OBDII port. I would think stripping out all the rover bits would get rid of the security system. The only problem there may getting the Rover ignition to fire the GM PCM. Worse case, fab up the ignition from the donor in the rover steering column.

Obviously, this is a big project that will take lots of time and personal fab work, but I think it is very possible to have an inspection worthy vehicle with a GM engine and transmission that works similar to factory installed. I still haven't heard back from Mark's 4wd, but hopefully that will shed more light on it. A 5.7 vortec with a few light mods can easily make around 300hp/360+ft.lbs. The 4L80e would handle that easily, and I think the LT230 would be just fine as well. An HD axle upgrade would be the only other drive train mod (with already installed Detroit carriers). I think this whole project when all said and done could be possible for around $4-5k (or the price of top hat lined rebuilt 4.6).

Old 11-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Shade Tree

Not an LS3 but other than the different truck/car intakes all the LSx motors are a very similar size.

The adapter route is probably the best way to go to avoid some of the big problems I had.

If you don't mind a short road trip to Odenville, you are welcome to come see my DII. It has a 2004 LM4 (all aluminum) truck motor with 4L60E installed. I could probably be some help to you in deciding which direction to go with your plan.
Awesome, I was just around Odenville today filling up my beer keg turned gas can with non-ethanol fuel ha. I would love to come over sometime and check that out. Yes, I have a 97 D1 (wish it were 95 or earlier for this but oh well). I believe we talked about me coming by before, but again my schedule never allowed me. Hopefully sometime after the holidays I can come check that out and pick your brain if you wouldn't mind. It sounds like a very nice setup.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Shade Tree

ls3...oops, that was me projecting my desire for a 6.2 disco.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Everything you could possibly want;

Gen III -- GM gen III - Defender Source
Gen IV -- GM Gen 4 conversion including LS - Defender Source

You guys need to get out more.........

Quick Reply: Another Vortec swap thread...