Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

D1 or RR classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Since we're perpetuating the zombie thread I say D1. I only say this because parts are more plentiful and on a trail rig you're bound to break something. Otherwise I think RRC's are way better looking.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Haha. Hadn't even noticed the date.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Make that two for not noticing the date!

Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Guys Archaeology Student is practicing his trade, this thread was dead 3 years ago before he dug it up.

and I fail for not noticing a page 2, oh and your all crazy RRC is better.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Guessing by the guys avitar pic he bought the rrc

I just like the d1 body better, rrc looks like a station wagon, there's no way you got more cargo room in a rrc, my d1 has a taller roof

Old 01-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

LWB RRC is huuuuuge compared to a D1 from the rear seats back.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with Tom. Rrc looks like a luxury pinto wagon

Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by USNAVYORDNANCE
I agree with Tom. Rrc looks like a luxury pinto wagon
That's quite a statement about a vehicle that was once on display in Paris at the Louvre. I think it was part of an exhibition in the early 1970's (around the time of the Pinto) displaying elegance in industrial design.

For me, I'll always prefer the hard dash Range Rover Classic. The commanding position you have in the driver's seat in unparalleled, visibility is amazing and most of the complaints here about it's failings relative to the Discovery aren't really borne out in real life. Take for example the much maligned Borg Warner with its viscous coupled center differential. For all practical purposes, it is more than equal to the LT230 well over 95% of the time. Also, with judicious use of the gas and brake pedals you can take care of the remaining 5% in extreme offroad situations. Add that to how quiet and smooth the transfer case was, especially when new, and there's very little reason to make it the sole reason why you prefer a Discovery.

Keep in mind how many LT230 linkages are frozen solid from non-use. There was a reason why Rover opted to delete the CDL in favor of Traction Control, Hill Decent, ect in the Series 2 Discovery. Most owners never used the CDL in their DI, ever.

Other complaints here focus on the early NAS Classics that were equipped with 10 spline differentials and axles. Again, this is really far less an issue than people like to claim. While I don't have the stats on hand, the difference in strength between the 10 and 24 spline axles that came on these Classics is marginal.

Selling Rover parts over the years, I can't recall when I sold a 24 spline conversion kit because someone had snapped an axle. This was not the case with the old Series Rovers where the 10 spline axles were the weak link. I broke a rear axle in a Series Rover pulling away from a stop light shortly after installing 16" rims and 235/85/16 tire's. Sure, you can upgrade to HD axles for either a Classic or a Discovery and because they are, essentially the same with regard to suspension and drivetrain, the costs will be identical or very close.

An area where the Classic clearly excels is with towing. Thanks to the Boge self leveling strut the Classic is far more stable and comfortable trailering. There's also storage, an issue that was addressed earlier. There is a lot more room in a SWB Classic for storage than in a DI. Move up to the LWB and the back seat is epic. Finally, if you want to put something on the roof, because of the two levels of the Discovery you wind up with a rack that is high off the front of the roof or has two levels. A Brownchurch full length roof rack on a Classic provides tons of space and looks great. Alternatively, the original genuine roof rack for the SWB is an extremely attractive design. This is not to say that I don't like the SD rack on a Discovery. I just feel that the Range Rover Classic roof is better designed to optimize a quality rack.

Now, as far as the Discovery is concerned, I hate every one post 1995. You can take all the GEMS components and put them in a pile and ignite them with the awful Lucas 10AS immobilizer as the fire source. It is the cause of so much woe for the Discovery owner, especially as we approach the 15-20 year mark with these trucks. Give my a 14CUX system any day.

How about ABS in the Discovery. Talk about something being built to a price point. Yes, I know, pull the fuse, disable the light, blah, blah, blah. The ABS in these trucks, even when they were new, was horrible. I know, I drove new ones from when they were first introduced back in 1994. I'll admit that there are also issues with ABS pumps, switches and accumulators in the Classic but when the Classic ABS system is functioning properly its superiority is ridiculously obvious. Oh, and Discovery owners, you might have forgotten that from 1993 on the Classic also had Traction Control on the rear axles.

I could go on and on over the differences between the two models but in the end, for me, the choice is easy. What's not easy is finding an inexpensive Classic that isn't a rust bucket here in New England. It's been about six years since I last had a Classic and I miss them. Discovery models, I pick up for a few hundred bucks and drive them until something breaks. Then I break them. They're just a Rover, a Range Rover is truly a Classic.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
LWB RRC is huuuuuge compared to a D1 from the rear seats back.
It's funny but when I owned an LWB back in the 1990's it was huge. The extra 8 inches making up that LWB 108" wheelbase, the longer rear doors and the immense back seat really made it like driving a limousine. Today, the Discovery Sport, a relatively small Rover, has a 108 inch wheelbase. When you see a Classic in a parking lot these days it looks absolutely diminutive alongside today's full sized SUV's!

Old 01-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

New fullsizes are gigantic. My D1 is a mansion compared to my XJ, and I think I'd only want a little bit more for every day. I've never been inside a LWB RRC, but the dimensions look perfect.

And I actually think the D1 ABS works pretty damn well, aside from the hiccups I get every now and then when braking and hitting a pothole. I did pull the fuse for winter, bc in the snow/ice it is atrociously bad... but almost every 90s ABS system is. My 98 Subaru was probably worse.

Quick Reply: D1 or RR classic