Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Exhaust??

The muffler on my D1 has decided to disconnect from the front pipe.With the hanger right at the front of the muffler, it is tough to fix. I went with a replacement muffler by Bosal and ordered a new gasket. Is this going to be louder than what I believe I have (stock muffler)?? Anybody used one and what is their opinion? Going solely on price here.. Hopefully I can re-use the rear pipe and resonator (?)

Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it will be louder, but not much. I put a bosal cat back system in mine four years ago. Standing outside the truck ten feet away it isn't very noticeable. It is a little more rumbly in the cabin, but considering I paid $230 versus over a thousand for stock I almost enjoy it.

I am a little concerned about the longevity of the system, really just the front resonator is showing corrosion around that same spot you mentioned, but I am in the northeast, lots of salt, what can you do. Everything else looks like it just came out of the box.

You said gasket? Mine has an exhaust "olive" between the resonator and y pipe, a metal double male ring about 3/4" long with a ridge in the middle. Is this what you got? I forgot to put it in the first time I hung it with predictable results. I threw it away with the old system before I realized it was there and had to buy a new one, but got it in and it sealed nicely.

All in all very satisfied with it.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Pro Wrench

I can live with a little more noise, the stock one is almost too quiet. The rest of the system looks to be in great shape. They do give out liberal doses of salt here during the winter months, this year has been particularly nasty.

The "gasket" is I think as you said, we call them donuts or muffler bearings but I usually replace them when I do any exhaust work to keep things quiet.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wasn't getting a excessively loud 'glasspack' type muffler or something.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Not much noticeable sound difference from the stock muffler.

Took most of the day to get it done. The rear pipe was a bit of a hassle as I couldn't find the right size connector to attach it to the muffler, and the rubber hangers are a real pain with only one person working on the ground. Seemed like just about everything I tried wasn't working, No acetylene in the tanks, auto store didn't have the right connector, stuff like that. Finally had to yell at the kidd to get out there to help. Went much better after that. I'm getting to old for this....

now, do I take a ride or go to bed.....

Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine snapped in the same place a few months ago when I hit a frozen rut way too fast. Needed to get back on the road right away so I cut it out and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe I had lying around from another project, total cost = 0. Strangely, my average mpg went up from 15 to 18. Needless to say, my temporary fix is still in place. Sounds pretty badass.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Pro Wrench

I have been getting 18-20mpg on warm days. When it is below zero, the temp gauge never moves and the MPG is probably a negative number.
It will be interesting to see if the muffler changes things.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just as a tip to anyone else reading this thread about the rubber hangers; I have found that slathering them with vegetable oil before reinstallation makes them slide right on like, well, uh... you can make your own analogy here.

But it works great, doesn't hurt the rubber like a petroleum product would, and uh, dang I just can't make this not sound nasty.

But it works, give it a try next time you are under there (*sigh* the truck I mean.....)

Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Pro Wrench

I used WD-40 with silicone and they went on pretty easily once I got the right angle.. now you got me sounding nasty!!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut my rear muffler and tip off that was slightly rusted away hoping to make a nicer noise from my 4.0 but sadly no noise difference what so ever. my disco is still super quiet.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking, 3" pipe and Flowmaster candidate....

Quick Reply: Exhaust??