Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New guy intro

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy intro

Hey y'all! So, I'm the proud owner of a '96 Disco now.

Name:  image_zps00d4812a.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  151.0 KB

This will be used as a hunting camp vehicle for the foreseeable future. It starts (when cold) and runs great, I just can't cut it off and expect it to start up again for several hours. CDL seems to work just fine, key sticks, only one window works. Seems like I have most of the issues I understand to be common after reading on here for a while. 1st order of business is to figure out the starting thing. I'll change all the fluids and add some mud tires. My 14 YO daughter is already claiming this vehicle for herself! It's fairly rough but for $800 I'm pretty sure I did ok!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Welcome!! East coast, I presume?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome. There is a lot of knowledge here. Enough to keep your truck running for minutes or even days to come.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 PM
4wd Low

Yup, east coast. (Florida panhandle)

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Rock Crawling

Welcome to the Rover world. I'm in the Panhandle also.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Talking Welcome

That is a nice looking truck. It sounds like you have been reading up on the little ****les that these things tend to have. The window ECU issue is a very common problem. The hot start issue might be the fuel pump going out. Fortunately, fuel pumps are not expensive or real difficult to replace. Happy Rovering !

Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone else think the fuel pressure regulator could be a simple starting point for a hot restart issue? I have bought 2 D1's and the vacuum line was unplugged on both. Good looking truck - especially for the money.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Hot start issue is either fuel temperature sensor on the fuel rail or it's the coolant temp sensor for the ECU (not the one for the temp sensor for the dash gauge). Coolant temp sensor is the common fault between the two. Being Florida the fuel temp sensor during a hot (soak) restart is to lengthen the injector pulse to purge air bubbles from fuel rail (prevents vapor lock).

The rest of your issues are covered in the tech section, read away........

Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Hot start issue is either fuel temperature sensor on the fuel rail or it's the coolant temp sensor for the ECU (not the one for the temp sensor for the dash gauge). Coolant temp sensor is the common fault between the two. Being Florida the fuel temp sensor during a hot (soak) restart is to lengthen the injector pulse to purge air bubbles from fuel rail (prevents vapor lock).

The rest of your issues are covered in the tech section, read away........

Thanks!
There's 2 different coolant temp sensors on "rovers north". One is 80 bucks, the other 15. I assume maybe an OEM vs aftermarket thing. Y'all are obviously going to be better at this than me for a while.

Are OEM parts worth the $?

The schematic shows it basically screws into the top of the manifold and plugs in. I'm sure it's much more difficult in real life however.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

There is so many sites it would make an Einstein out of anyone. You just have to find em.

Before you start replacing parts you wanna make sure it needs to be replaced. If your Check Engine Light is lit have the codes read. The fuel temp and coolant temps both have codes......

OEM is usually the route with Rovers because some aftermarket manufacturers don't work so great although sites keep selling the parts. Try rovahfarm.com and roverparts.com. Rovers North is fine but can be overly expensive on parts. Rovers love expensive parts if your not careful and before you know it you've paid more for parts the you paid for the truck........

landroverresource.com has the manual called the "Rave". Download the largest file @ 590MB. It will help you from pulling your hair out.

Quick Reply: New guy intro