Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Newly Purchased LRD

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98discoj
I did have it scanned, the last owner said "yeah it isn't throwing a code" and it wasn't--until about an hour down the road on the way home with it (jack ***). I had it scanned and I believe it was something to do with 02 sensors (at my brother's auto parts store, he said it was the code thrown because of the missing cats). I can't remember the specific code, but I was told it was due to the 02 sensors. Does anyone have any good experience with throwing spark plug defoulers over the rear sensors to get rid of the CEL?
I put non-foulers on mine after de-catting, and I haven't thrown any codes since (about a year).

Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay thank you. I suppose I should probably replace the PCV valves as well anyway

Old 09-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay thank you. I suppose I should probably replace the PCV valves as well anyway
No valves. Just two short hoses and an oil separator on passenger side rocker cover. Pull it out with pliers and clean all the gunk out.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Oh that makes sense why no autoparts stores showed them (whoops)

Old 09-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Well I got the front pads and rotors and wheel bearings done, so now it doesn't pull left anymore. I also tracked down part of the vacuum leak, the hose that comes out of the suction cup type thing (part of cruise control vacuum?) was split at the end so it came off. I cut the split part off and reconnected it. HOLY **** is the throttle response amazing now (it actually feels like a v8). The idle is still high, so I must continue to work on finding the source of that another day

Old 09-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay as far as my research with the high idle is going, it's not as high as others are saying (almost 2000 rpms), but it it usually in the 1200-1500 range. Also, the idle drops when the A/C is turned on, which some people have said is a sign that the IACV is bad. I'm going to try to pick one up and see if that changes anything.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Anyone else have any ideas? Even if i can figure out what is causing the idle to be that way, do I have to go have the ECU reset by a shop with Testbook anyway? Is it a good idea just to have them reset it without doing any parts? I just don't know how to figure out what is causing this without replacing a number of different things. Also, the hood doesn't appear to line up right as the latch keeps releasing when the wind catches it on the interstate. Anyone dealt with hood pins, and do they cause the hood to start rusting where the holes were drilled?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by MC04DII
I put non-foulers on mine after de-catting, and I haven't thrown any codes since (about a year).
What size were the non-foulers you put on? I was told the threads on the downstream O2 sensors are 12 x 1.5 I belive?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Anyone else have any ideas? Even if i can figure out what is causing the idle to be that way, do I have to go have the ECU reset by a shop with Testbook anyway? Is it a good idea just to have them reset it without doing any parts? I just don't know how to figure out what is causing this without replacing a number of different things. Also, the hood doesn't appear to line up right as the latch keeps releasing when the wind catches it on the interstate. Anyone dealt with hood pins, and do they cause the hood to start rusting where the holes were drilled?
I'm struggling with a similar scenario. My idle is also up there 1500-2500.. No idea why but I also just sorta started trying to figure it out. I put a can of seafoam in it one time and it dropped it down to ~750 until I had to refuel.. Also about your hood coming up. Mine did that too recently until I pushed the hood release all the way back after pulling it, mines getting very stiff to pull so I figure it'll be a matter of time before I have to replace that as well.. Hope that helps

Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by NCLR
I'm struggling with a similar scenario. My idle is also up there 1500-2500.. No idea why but I also just sorta started trying to figure it out. I put a can of seafoam in it one time and it dropped it down to ~750 until I had to refuel.. Also about your hood coming up. Mine did that too recently until I pushed the hood release all the way back after pulling it, mines getting very stiff to pull so I figure it'll be a matter of time before I have to replace that as well.. Hope that helps

Well now I'm thinking mine might be the coolant temp sensor, as now that the temperature has cooled down here, it's starting at the right idle speed but increases as it warms up to about 1000rpms. Then it goes up to about 1500 when you put it in park after it's warmed up fully. The sensor is only about 10 so it's my cheapest option to try first.

Quick Reply: Newly Purchased LRD