Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks

So two days ago it was pouring rain here in Memphis and my roof leak became unbearable so I decided in the rain inside my car to pull the headliner and inspect underneath. I found the headliner pretty easy to pull carefully in 45 mins. Found one of the drain tubs that are only held in by silicone was the culprit for the leak and also what looks like a clogged tub as well. That's fixed and so why its down I'm going to do the headliner. Have heard that painting the liner is the best way to go so I plan to use kilz primer on the fiberglass then my girl and I had an idea she's artsy fartsy so we decided to stencil out a union jack on the liner and plan to paint a colored union jack on the liner how cool of an idea could she had. So when I get some pics ready I'll post em. Also this weekend I'm prepped for checking compression and for exhaust in coolant checks due to tensioner pulley frying the other day and throwing belt which I didn t notice till rover started to over heat. That's another thread later. But two questions for you guys. Can I just drop the bottom pan of sunroof to be able to access these tubs to clean them out? Or will this drop the whole sunroof? (I don't want to drop whole assembly) second of all what paints would others reccomend for painting the headliner after coat of kilz primer? Remember I'm planing a union jack design and have young kids, so a gloss, satin, latex or what? Opinions, ideas? Excited for custom headliner instead of sagging crappy cloth.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used white spray paint as a primer and it soaked up 4 cans and barely looked white, I finished it off with krylon that was damn near the exact original grey color which took 2 cans. Custom would be sick, I however ran out of patients and my Disco stunk like paint for 2 weeks with the windows cracked 24hr/7dys. Good luck post some after pics.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Hi - the upper half of the sunroof with the framework for the glass comes out from the top. The rubber seal sits on the D1 roof and provides the first barrier for weatherproofing. The drip pan attaches from the bottom and drops free once the hardware is removed. It's pretty straight forward once you get started. I attached a few pics from my recent headliner project. I used Kilz premium primer (1qt) and then followed up with Behr satin interior paint color matched to the plastic. Turned out pretty nice and my only suggestion would be to take your time with the prep work.

PS. If your only seperating the sunroof to access the drain tubes dont bother. The drain tubes are easy to reach once the headliner is down. If the clog is in the frame you can just blow air into the holes. The rubber hoses would be cleaned the same way once removed.

Attached Thumbnails projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks-img00118-20120911-1931.jpg   projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks-img00119-20120911-2007.jpg   projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks-img00122-20120911-2137.jpg   projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks-img00123-20120911-2140.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Mudding

Thanks bush pilot I'll skip that step and just use the air hose to clean tubs. Also I knew someone had used the kilz and I've seen ur thread before but couldn't find it. I appreciate the response and hope fully soon I'll have all the supplies and as we speak my girl is sketching the union jack on the head liner to see what fittment we will get with it. Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bushpilot
Hi - the upper half of the sunroof with the framework for the glass comes out from the top. The rubber seal sits on the D1 roof and provides the first barrier for weatherproofing. The drip pan attaches from the bottom and drops free once the hardware is removed. It's pretty straight forward once you get started. I attached a few pics from my recent headliner project. I used Kilz premium primer (1qt) and then followed up with Behr satin interior paint color matched to the plastic. Turned out pretty nice and my only suggestion would be to take your time with the prep work.

PS. If your only seperating the sunroof to access the drain tubes dont bother. The drain tubes are easy to reach once the headliner is down. If the clog is in the frame you can just blow air into the holes. The rubber hoses would be cleaned the same way once removed.
Nice posts. I can't see any reason not to go with this painted headliner on a D1. How was the rigidity of it. I feel like I might need to put in some sag support.. Maybe aluminum blinds.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any thought on using gasket seal or silicon in the sunroof assemblies when you put it all back together?

looking forward to seeing that UJ.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
4wd Low

I just completely redid my whole truck. For my headliner I tore it out fiberglassed it, sanded it, primed it, painted it flat black, and recently decided to tear it back down to rhino line it. Only reason for this was because i decided to sand, repair and rhino line the whole truck.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Drifting

On the sagging question - Not an issue for me. There is a bracket up inside the rear light that holds the center section up. I doubt the headliner material did anything in the way of stiffening the whole headliner as I havent noticed any kind of weakening of the entire structure without it. Should be a non-issue from what I can see.
That being said, based on the condition of the headliner prior to starting (water leaks, broken sub-structure) could mandate some type of reinforcment to help it hold its shape once up and in place. Luckilly I didnt have those issues.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Mudding

My liner is in great condition took extra care getting it out it has kept it's rigidity and I figure some paint would do well to help that as well. I'm totally ditching the cloth and painting the fiberglass part Of liner. And slang yes the tubs are held in only with silicone so I plan tO reseal the tubs while this is all apart. The UJ sketch looks good so far as soon as I figure how to post pics from iPhone I will. Planning to get paints this weekend and get this finished. But I also have drive shaft issues I need to tend to desperately. I thought about spray on bed liner material but I just don't think I'd like the look I've seen some and they look good just wouldn't fit the attitude of the rest of rover for me. I won't seal sunroofs shut as the family menmy girl and three kids all enjoy the open roofs.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Mudding

This thread has been great. I've been having these leak problems shortly after getting my Disco. Also, my headliner suffers from the sag, which probably tells me that the bracket that the center is supposed to attach to isn't attached or is broken. Mine is covered in some sort of felt cloth, but I'm very interested in ditching it, as well. Thanks for the info everyone. Looking forward to any forthcoming pics.

Juan

Quick Reply: projects for rover headliner/diagnostic checks