Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So you have Loose Steering, Death Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Only if it's the panhard rod bushings that are causing it.

There is no single cure. It may only be one thing, but often different things for different people.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Over the last few weeks my wobble was gradually getting worse, changed the drag link tie rods with a little improvement.
Last week i lifted a wheel and found the hub was moving quite a bit and when removed rusty water came out, removed bearings cleaned everything up and then re assembled and packed with grease and a new seal.
Checked other side and that only required the hub pre load to be adjusted, on Sunday i replaced the track rod tie rods and then adjusted the steering box and now it drives like a new car.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

That's why the OP says be methodical in diagnosis.
I added an edit.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

I knew where the issues lay, the hubs were a surprise since i did them lass than 12 months ago and the tie rods were original - basically just normal maintenance which was put off due to badly breaking my leg back in January and only just got the strength back to be able to climb over/under the car.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:04 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering dampener

Seals gone on damper hydr ram in front, fluid gone. It is part of the problem and various bushings. Are there harder materials available on tie rod ends, track rod bushings, sway bar attachments? Bleu spends about 60% of time on dirt/gravel road, hills, fields, creeks. The rest is generally 2 lane country roads in/out of hills and 5% freeway/highway. Am hoping the lug nuts will stop loosening after tightening up front end. Finally built pit and dove under with lube gun, then out for drill and ez-out, again to snag zerc off swather, anyway that took care of whirring vibration on floor at outer edges. Cleared nearly all clunk too. Compared to any other 4x I've had Disco has best on/off road manners by far. Past necessary rigs have ranged from suzuki samauri hard and soft tops, wrangler, chev 1500 suburban and truck, ford 150 stretch and 350 4door, explorer, some gmc, other jeeps and cut down to cart oddities. Really like how it rides so much nicer. Can feel steering and hold getting sloppier so any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

So i hit a pothole getting on on i295 last week threw me into death wobble where i had to come to a complete stop, never had this before on this vehicle

​​​​​​everything appears fine but now the steering seems to bind when i turn, like as long as the wheels are close to straight its steers smooth as the angle increases either direction there is a drag

i removed the damper incase it got damaged, it steers easier but can still feel the drag , my wife said it went out of control on her way to work this morning when she crossed some rr tracks that she always crosses

i dont see anything loose and we are 5 days from a big club trip so i need to get this sorted fast

all my bushings are poly and i see no play with someone moving wheel back and forth

Old 05-26-2018, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

blown front shock or shock bushing perhaps? that was my problem at one time

Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion but I dont think it explains why the steering feels like its binding

Old 05-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Found this video for others to show what to look for https://youtu.be/2p8BRllT0OI

Old 05-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

So whatever is bad makes it shake so hard it destroyed the poly bushing on the drivers side odf panhard, i had it apart day before and it was fine

that was destroyed when my wife ran over some train tracks going to work yesterday and it went into death wobble

i have no play in the hubs/ wheel bearings
i have no up down play on the swivels or in out
tie rods all appear tight, joints from steering column look fine
Steering box works with no slop

i did tighten all the bolts on the steering box and the brace, they did tighten some but i would not call them loose, there were no marks like the bolts had been moving

shocks are tight and truck does not bounce at all

i have orange poly bush suspension and it does have a few years on it

the only thing i can see that has play is where the radius arems bolt to the front diff but it slight and with a prybar like 1/16" ish of deflection

im out of ideas , it does drive straight

Quick Reply: So you have Loose Steering, Death Wobble?