Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Y-Pipe recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You've reported the failure already, working on the issues as we speak......

I know, it's tough sitting on a wad of $100 dollar bills but that's why they invented the Ball Mason jar and kitchen cabinets with doors. For the five miles you drive you could've snagged a Hovaround with a handlebar basket or a brand new recumbent with a Lazyboy zip tied to it.

I can see you have inter-web but how long have you been on that island?

Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Ordered a complete MagnaFlow system (y-pipe/cats, and cat back with deleted resonator). Truck is 20 years old and the resonator is also a rusted mess so while I am under there I am doing the entire system.

Will report back on any issues/success/failure/etc.
I hope that works for you, The shop I mentioned used the magnaflows as an example of ones that caused the sensor errors. (one incident) I hope they were wrong.

I did see them priced at the same as AB's now that the AB's are no longer on sale but I also see the pictures showing the cats to be the same size where the AB's are 2 different sizes.

don't want to throw a wrench, but .. just in case

Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
You've reported the failure already, working on the issues as we speak......

I know, it's tough sitting on a wad of $100 dollar bills but that's why they invented the Ball Mason jar and kitchen cabinets with doors. For the five miles you drive you could've snagged a Hovaround with a handlebar basket or a brand new recumbent with a Lazyboy zip tied to it.

I can see you have inter-web but how long have you been on that island?
Totally. My neighbors and I were discussing auto parts stores last night and I mentioned I go to an O'Reillys all the time. They were like, "Oh, why is that?" and I replied, "Remember that I drive a Land Rover."

I have lived on the Island for 13+ years.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by rickroverover
I hope that works for you, The shop I mentioned used the magnaflows as an example of ones that caused the sensor errors. (one incident) I hope they were wrong.

I did see them priced at the same as AB's now that the AB's are no longer on sale but I also see the pictures showing the cats to be the same size where the AB's are 2 different sizes.

don't want to throw a wrench, but .. just in case
AB sells a brand from Canada, interestingly called "AB" and I considered going that route. Quality is probably just fine. The local (to me) respected LR ONLY shop in Seattle claimed success with the MagnaFlows so I chose that route based on my excellent experience with that shop.

I also bought new sensors so maybe that will all work out fine!

Old 01-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Totally. My neighbors and I were discussing auto parts stores last night and I mentioned I go to an O'Reillys all the time. They were like, "Oh, why is that?" and I replied, "Remember that I drive a Land Rover."

I have lived on the Island for 13+ years.
I couldn't help myself, glad you got it. For what it's worth I hope it does work out. I know of several that have not including those made up from muffler shops just recently. I have a welder, I'm out of the entire exhaust worry loop.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Mission Accomplished!

The weather and my schedule finally aligned and I managed to get the y-pipe and cat back system replaced today. Took me most of the day but it is DONE!

I used the Magnaflow y-pipe + cats and the stainless steel Magnaflow cat back without a resonator (chrome exhaust tip). It was a direct fit and I only had to cinch up the manifold -> y-pipe connections after firing it up and discovering it was leaking just a bit.

On removing the factory parts, I was fortunate that none of the studs snapped. I'm guessing my liberal use of PB Blaster may have helped!

I did have to saw off the resonator in order to get the factory muffler/resonator out.

I also replaced the rubber mounts and the nuts to the manifold.

Although I had ordered an "olive" metal gasket that is supposed to go between the y-pipe and muffler connection, I didn't need it. There wasn't one in the factory setup and it wouldn't have fit anyway. Inexpensive part, so no harm.

Also replaced the O2 sensors behind the cats since I was there. I replaced the other 2 last year.

The Disco sounds great (like a 4x4 muscle car) now and so far no codes!

Old 02-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Cool, glad all the time wasn't for naught. Love to hear it.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling

The weather and my schedule finally aligned and I managed to get the y-pipe and cat back system replaced today. Took me most of the day but it is DONE!

I used the Magnaflow y-pipe + cats and the stainless steel Magnaflow cat back without a resonator (chrome exhaust tip). It was a direct fit and I only had to cinch up the manifold -> y-pipe connections after firing it up and discovering it was leaking just a bit.

On removing the factory parts, I was fortunate that none of the studs snapped. I'm guessing my liberal use of PB Blaster may have helped!

I did have to saw off the resonator in order to get the factory muffler/resonator out.

I also replaced the rubber mounts and the nuts to the manifold.

Although I had ordered an "olive" metal gasket that is supposed to go between the y-pipe and muffler connection, I didn't need it. There wasn't one in the factory setup and it wouldn't have fit anyway. Inexpensive part, so no harm.

Also replaced the O2 sensors behind the cats since I was there. I replaced the other 2 last year.

The Disco sounds great (like a 4x4 muscle car) now and so far no codes!
Forgot to add that I had to drop the front sway bar to provide enough clearance to get the y-pipe out/replaced. I also put the truck on jack stands as well, but the sway bar disconnect was the critical part.

Removal of cat back end of the system isn't hindered by anything other than needing to hack off the resonator. I suppose one might be able to lift the rear end and allow the axle to articulate enough to thread it through. My resonator was toast (rusted thru) so I didn't care about sawing it off.

Now to find a scrap metal yard to unload the old stuff on.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Some photos as evidence.

Magnaflow system.

Factory y-pipe. Left cat was bad.

Everything out.

New O2 sensors.

Chrome tip and no resonator.

Shiny new muffler.

New cats fit perfectly.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Update: Leaks!

After driving around for a bit and parking the truck overnight I discovered there were leaks at each of the clamp points (not surprising I guess) and one pinhole in a weld joint in the driver side cat.

Bought and applied some Permatex 80335 to the joints and the pin hole, re-clamped to the recommended torque setting and let it dry for an hour. Fired up the engine and let it run for 10 min per instructions and took it for a drive. Leaks appear to be sorted.

Hopefully that will hold, else I will be visiting a muffler shop to have the clamp points welded up.

Quick Reply: Y-Pipe recommendations