Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen

Installed this double din the same afternoon.... Basically need to slot out the middle of bezel, including the top portion of the cup holder, but not the bottom most part that connects the two sides.... This allows the ash tray/coin trays to still support the bezel, and still function... Honestly I'm a stone guy so go figure I use a 4'' diamond blade.... And a razor blade to do the detail stuff, minor.... the bracket that used to hold the factory single din only has 3 rivots holding it on on the back, so I just drilled those out... then the wiring followed... then for the mounting, there is no dbl din cage, so I used brick ties (pre bent) to suspend it from the upper support, the back of the deck is snugly pressed into dash... Once mounted, I re installed the bezel, adjusted the dbl din once the ac controls were in.... Honestly all I did was used the real thick double sided rubbe tape (1/8'') and layered the top and sides of the deck and pressed up untill it was nice and tight, then layered up the top of the ac controls the same way and pressed up untill nice and tight, the ac controlls has hooks on the back to keep from coming out, and cant press in any further either, so It basically is hooked and taped in.... Its been a few days and all is good... Tochscreen Navigation just like my wifes lexus now...!! ONLY BETTER cause its in a LAND ROVER..!!

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen-discovery-double-din-10-.jpg   2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen-discovery-double-din-8-.jpg   2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen-discovery-double-din-27-navigation.jpg   2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen-discovery-double-din-41-.jpg   2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen-img_20110919_124152.jpg  

Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Looks really good, nice job.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Now that's initiative thinking! You should post this to my thread: "Your Modded Rover Here" so we can keep a record of all the awesome mods people do to there Rovers!
https://landroverforums.com/forum/mo...er-here-44107/

Old 10-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Three Wheeling

its been a few days now, so here is an update.... when I put in the magnet that recepts the gps signal, I put it on some metal behind the dash... Problem was I had poor signal... so I had to take apart again, and concluded with running this magnet into the hood area by the windshield wipers, excelent reception, with no exterior visibility... So when I put the dash together the second round, the ac control kept wanting to slide down (it was a hot day), losing alignment of the deck... So simple fix was just under the left and right of the controls I put in a retaining screw.... Keeps the ac and deck from sliding down... the tape is basically acting as shock absorbers, and the screws hold it up nice and tight.... All in all, my truck now feels like a rover should...

and just an insight... I had already changed out all my door speakers for component speakers, ran a d block amp, and put in a 15'' sub.... door speakers needed new all new wire ran to deck, elimenated factory amp.... the biggest feat was getting exact fitment speakers... the 6.5's were easy, only i found not all 6.5's are 6.5's, some are smaller, some are bigger still sold as 6.5 though... the backdoor tweets, I learned that they are tabbed in the cylinder cage... so use a screw driver and pop those old ones out and pop in some new 1'' tweets (again the rubber tape will keep these snug and sealed... for the front doors, it is near impossible to find a car audio 2'' speaker... 3'' and 4'' no problem, but 2'' are few and far in between... I searched and found a 3 way component set and used the 2'' speakers in my rover and used the rest of the set in my chevy.... the trick to these were that the 2'' speakers had a plastic surround that I had to cut till I got to the core 2 inches.... Same thing I had to de tab the original 2'' speakers out of the cylinder cage.... then pop in the newly demantled component mid into the factory cylender cage with some more of that rubber tape... and you would never know visually that I changed out the door speakers... I didn't touch the pillar tweets, couldn't figure out how to get out without braking anything... so I put the tweets on my dash... this actually helps center the sound over the videos... so honestly the double din was the easy part especially since I did the door speakers a lot earlier this year....

I see myself adding the back up camera real soon..... I cant see @%$^% out my back window....!!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the nice info on the door speakers, I've been searching for that! I'd like to add component speakers in the front as well, but am disapointed to hear it is going to be some serious work...

I've already added a Alpine head unit, and a Kicker SL7 8" sub in the back powered by an Orion amp. Just need to get the speakers on par with the rest of the system!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Overlanding

Nice...I am actually working on an install for my DII myself for a Double Din. I have a flip up now but the Double Dins with Navi are waay cheaper.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

My god you have a monster set up on wheels and tires

Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Still no regrets.... overall I'm only $1000 or so into the component sound system w/navi and 2 15'' subs on 1000 watt mono amp... Really affordable when you do it your self and buy off craigslist when possible or catch a sale somewhere...

Oh and wheels and tires technically call for a big lift, so instead I saved money by cutting and raising my fenders to make room for the added meat.... Save money anywhere I can yet I still like nice things.... Funny how it works out... by the way what a gas hog....!! It seems like the biggest expence in owning a land rover is the gas pedel....!!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
3rd Gear

New to the forums and trying to do this first thing. Just bout a 2003 SE Disco, want to go Double DIN and found this Land Rover Double Din Kit. Is this too good to be true or still just as much trouble, just...iuno, help me out here, lol.

Last edited by D29842; 11-10-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Mudding

looks to me to be just as much trouble as you will still need to modify the bezel that is already there to make the opening bigger.

Quick Reply: 2000 Discovery with NAVI, double din Touchscreen