Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6/hp24 into 4.0/hp22

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

You would order undersized bearings for a crank that has had it's journals machined.

If the crank hasn't been machined, you would want to order standard sized bearings.

If you're not sure, measure your crank journals before ordering the bearings.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the crank is turned UNDER-SIZED, so they bearing needed are OVER-SIZED.
the drive shaft will be 3/4 inch shorter on the 03.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

for mounts you have those or proud rhino from lucky 8

I think the transmission case is basically the same. I know the 24 internals will definitely fit into the 22 case, so...
but the 24 has a larger fluid pump and some other junk to handle the added torque.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

[QUOTE=drowssap;523832]the crank is turned UNDER-SIZED, so they bearing needed are OVER-SIZED.
the drive shaft will be 3/4 inch shorter on the 03.[/QU

Must be rear driveshaft... that's fine. I'll just use the driveshaft off the 03.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dusty1
for mounts you have those or proud rhino from lucky 8

I think the transmission case is basically the same. I know the 24 internals will definitely fit into the 22 case, so...
but the 24 has a larger fluid pump and some other junk to handle the added torque.
I read about swapping the internals but then ran into alot of handwringing about the splines or shaft length, or both. If possible I am just going to unbolt the transfer case and remove the engine and transmission as a unit so I don't have to mess with the bell housing bolts on the vehicle, Torque converter, etc. I think I can just remove the cross member and tilt it out. Maybe it is unrealistic, but I hope to take off the lines and hoses, uncouple the harness and ground strap, unbind the cruise, unbolt the transfer case and mounts, and lift it out with the crane. Then I can divorce the engine and transmission, put the engine on a stand, and take it apart. It was been awhile since I swapped engines so I am sure I am forgetting alot... like whether the crane will lift the engine over the radiator (I will let the tires flat if necessary... hell, I will take the wheels off if necessary).

So what I am hearing on the transmission is that I should keep the 03 transmission AND rear driveshaft. My buddy has the hp22 and rotoflex delete so he will want to keep his driveshaft anyway. Now that I think about it I don't understand why the 03 driveshaft is shorter since it connects to the LT230 and I am sure the LT230's are the same. But it must be so...

Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

front drive shaft is 3/4 in shorter which is why LR list one number for 99-02 and a different for 03/04.
after market companys just dropped that whole part and only sell one size.
if you use the 03 shaft with the 03 tranny should be a problem
but i could be wrong

Last edited by drowssap; 06-22-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by drowssap
front drive shaft is 3/4 in longer which is why LR list one number for 99-02 and a different for 03/04.
after market companys just dropped that whole part and only sell one size.
but i could be wrong
Okay that explains why, when I have bought driveshafts, I am always asked to measure the length from face to face. I have an aftermarket one (HD, Double Cardan) now, so maybe it will work. I know it has long splines because I accidentally took it apart BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX and had to line it up perfectly, then worry about wobble, on my new driveshaft. Thanks for that info. Still confused, though, because I assumed the LT230 would be in the same spot since the HP24 overall length (with bell housing) is the same.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
well you do need a computer to reset values. I have the little nanocom and it will do it. (let me know) if you swap computers you need to swap in the matching instrument panel if you want mileage to work on the odometer.
The nanocom can sync the miles too, but they can only sync to the higher of the two stored numbers. In this case, since the vehicle has lowers miles, I'd keep the BCU and cluster the same, and sync the security code between the BCU and the ECM. Unless you just like the looks of the 2003 cluster better, and don't care about the miles being higher than when you started.

Does the 2000 have SAI? If not, this swap could get a little more complicated, assuming the 2003 does have it (almost all do).

Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jafir
The nanocom can sync the miles too, but they can only sync to the higher of the two stored numbers. In this case, since the vehicle has lowers miles, I'd keep the BCU and cluster the same, and sync the security code between the BCU and the ECM. Unless you just like the looks of the 2003 cluster better, and don't care about the miles being higher than when you started.

Does the 2000 have SAI? If not, this swap could get a little more complicated, assuming the 2003 does have it (almost all do).
I do NOT have SAI on the 00. I was just thinking about that and am about to upload a picture of some extra junk on the passenger side of the 03/4.6, which I assume is SAI.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Black cannister on left... plumbing on right. SAI?

Name:  IMG_20150622_121038.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  300.1 KB

Yeah, it is SAI.

Since I've never seen that before I am not even sure what it is, but I can Google. Now, how will this complicate things... I have the complete, running donor...

Okay, evolving this post. I see from Roverland:

There are a few different parts on a secondary air injection vehicle that are specific. The fuel pump, engine computer and the cylinder heads are some of the most important. If you have secondary air injection on your vehicle then you must purchase the parts for a vehicle with secondary air injection. If you have secondary air on your engine and have issues with your cylinder heads, you must purchase cylinder heads that are designed for secondary air. Your vehicle is designed for this system. If you purchase non-secondary air injection cylinder heads, they will not work correctly with your vehicle.

So, with a complete donor I will definitely have to swap the ECU (sorry Dusty I didn't know what that was and didn't mention SAI) and fuel pump. No problems with that. Also, alot of parts from my 4.0's won't interchange with this 4.6 setup. Does that ALL sound right?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-22-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.6/hp24 into 4.0/hp22