Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Reader in DFW? Have P1590, ABS, HDC, TC, Brake lights on

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Reader in DFW? Have P1590, ABS, HDC, TC, Brake lights on

I was driving yesterday on a gravel road when the three amigos came on as well as the brake light. I've had the three amigos come and go but never the brake light until yesterday. I also finally got the P1590 code, haven't had that before yesterday as well. Brakes still work fine.

Brakes are still in great condition (replaced them less than a year ago, had a good look at them last month when I put new springs and shocks in). No squealing. Has plenty of fluid and there has not been a change in the level, I flushed it when I did the brakes. I checked the fluid reservoir cap and parking brake switch by unplugging them to see if the light went out, but they both seem to work.

The first time I had the three amigos come on was when I hit a nasty pot hole (it was hidden by a puddle). The second the front right tire bounced into the hole the three amigos came on, but like I said they would come and go.

I'm leaning towards the right front abs cable somehow got dinged up and finally bit the bullet yesterday but would prefer to read the SLABS codes before I go replacing parts. Has anyone tried these before?:

Front Left or Right Wheel Speed ABS Sensor for Land Rover Discovery MK2 98 04 | eBay

So with that does anyone have a tool in the DFW area that can read the codes? I'll buy you a 12 pack of beer and come to you.

Last edited by Alan Phillips; 04-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Mudding

I had all four lights (ABS, HDC, TC, Brake) come on when my Brake relay failed (in the engine compartment fuse box). Might be worth checking, but it sounds like you're probably right and it's the ABS sensor.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're going to happen to be at SCARR this weekend. Find me and we'll read the codes and reset(try) them.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'll be at scarr too and I'll have a hawkeye and a nanocom with me.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Sadly I won't make it, I'm on an oil rig in Oklahoma until Tuesday. :/

I'll check the relay in the morning, I swapped the fuse under the dash but that didn't fix anything. I'll probably break down and get the abs amigo. I already have an OBDII reader (bluetooth, woo) so I can't really justify going so far as getting a hawkeye... yet.

Anything else I could check while I'm at it? I went ahead and ordered that sensor I linked to, $20 doesn't seem like it would hurt one way or the other. I do think it's something electrical vs mechanical.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Phillips
Sadly I won't make it, I'm on an oil rig in Oklahoma until Tuesday. :/

I'll check the relay in the morning, I swapped the fuse under the dash but that didn't fix anything. I'll probably break down and get the abs amigo. I already have an OBDII reader (bluetooth, woo) so I can't really justify going so far as getting a hawkeye... yet.

Anything else I could check while I'm at it? I went ahead and ordered that sensor I linked to, $20 doesn't seem like it would hurt one way or the other. I do think it's something electrical vs mechanical.
If you're thinking of getting an ABS amigo, check out this thread first. It is a cheaper alternative to the ABS amigo and is a full OBDII scanner as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Three Wheeling

Cool find!! I'm bidding for an abs amigo on eBay right now (put the max bid at $200... odds are strong I'll get it). Wish I'd seen this yesterday before I bid.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Well... Someone outbid me for the abs amigo on eBay. Not sure why or how since now they are paying more than the thing costs new...

Either way, I see it as a sign from the universe to just go buy the Autel tool. Don't want to be flipping the universe the bird.

I'll update how it goes when I get it.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling

So, long story short, the Autel tool works. I did have some issues with it but that was because of crappy customer service and documentation, the tool itself works great.

I had to install the latest updates for the tool before I could get it to read the ABS codes. To do that I had to register the tool first. Problem is (I later found out from a somewhat rude customer service rep) the website they send you to in the owners manual printed in 8/12 doesn't exist. You have to go to maxidas.com to register the tool. Second problem I found was the AL 619 isn't on the drop down for models you can register... I ended up picking the first one and filling in the rest of the info properly. I was able to get the updates, so I guess the model number doesn't mater. Third problem was user error. I went and installed just the Land Rover module, and skipped the full update. When I went to read the codes I got an error message saying the module wasn't registered (cursing ensued). I then went and installed all the updates for all the modules on the tool and tried again, this time with success.

If you're looking to solve your Amigos then this tool is perfect. It reads the ABS codes and displays the explanation right there on the screen. It's a good $30-$40 less than the ABS amigo and it isn't tied to one make and model. Now that I (and anyone reading this) knows the tricks to get the tool registered and updated I don't see any downside to it.

And for those of you wondering, the three amigos was because the right REAR abs sensor is on the fritz and is giving intermittent signals. The brake light came on because of that shuttle valve electrical fault. I cleared the codes but the three amigos came back for just the abs sensor. I'm going to order the sensor and do the module fix in a couple of weeks once I'm sure the weather will be nice. The $15 front abs sensor I ordered looks great btw, too bad it's for the front and not the rear.

The following users liked this post:
Edubo7 (03-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alan, I'm in Plano and my disco II just started throwing the three amigos, any chance I could get my codes read and supply a 12 pack of your favourite beer?

The following users liked this post:
Edubo7 (03-05-2020)

Quick Reply: ABS Reader in DFW? Have P1590, ABS, HDC, TC, Brake lights on