Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ever consider putting the RTT on the trailer? That way you can set up base camp and not have to stow the tent to drive a trail. Also keeps the weight off the top of the Disco.

The following users liked this post:
acg (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 04:32 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

The RTT is needed for overlanding outings with the club guys. So, it will typically be me and one of my sons (as a special father-day bonding thing) where the RTT will suffice. The outings are typically 2 to 3 day trips where we do not go back to the same base camp. The routes where here in the Pacific NW can be steep with switchbacks and lots of vegetation. Pulling a trailer would not be convenient.

You have a good idea with the tent on the trailer. I am already working on modifying the trailer to mounting a second tent (for the trailer). The trailer will be used for trips with the entire family of me, mama bear and the three teddy bears. It will be a different type of tent as you see in the pics. Mama Bear and me will be in the trailer tent. The teddy bears will sleep up in the RTT. The trailer will equipped with a Drifta kitchen, fridge slide rack, ArkPak, propane, water and fuel tanks. I can get this type of tent for around $1000 shipped direct from China at the current currency exchange rate.

Attached Thumbnails Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-newly-designed-camper-trailer-tent-ctt6005b.jpg   Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-quotation-sheet-trailer-top-tents-.jpg   Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-quotation-sheet-trailer-top-tents-1.jpg  

Last edited by acg; 01-21-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:12 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool. You will have a very versatile rig with that setup.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Biggest advantage with that setup is not falling off the roof of your truck in the middle of the night to take a pee. I've been torn between a getting an RTT or a pop up tow behind. I might just make a Roof top platform on which to throw a regular tent. there's a lot of friendly black bears where I go camping. On two occasions I've had a bear walk right through my campsite.

Attached Thumbnails Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-yyy.jpg  

Last edited by bmeier; 01-21-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For me, the attraction of a rrt is that you have one, self-contained unit. No ground tent or trailer to mess with. I have slept in the back of my Rover a few times and it is not ideal, but a rrt would be much better. I need to be able to drive to a location where I plan to photograph at sunrise and go to bed. This way I can wake up at my location and begin to work. I know this doesn't have any bearing on your topic, but I've thought of getting a double cab 4x4 Ford pickup and putting a shell on the back. That way I could securely lock my equipment inside the truck and sleep in the back in relative security.

acg (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 09:48 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Ditto!

A lifted 4x4 crew cab with an expedition camper would be like heavenly. I met with the AT Adventure Expedition folks at the NW Overland Rally last year. They have a unique and cool camper mounted on a 4x4 crew cab:

AT FlipPac Full set up and pack away - Long version on Vimeo

Four Wheel Campers | AT Overland

Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RTT with expedition rack

I have an SD rack, which obviously has the side rails. The problem I ran into was that the mounting tracks for the tent didn't come anywhere close to the side rails, which means adding cross bars to span the basket. That adds still more height.

I too have a 2" lift and didn't want it getting anymore top-heavy than necessary. So did the unspeakable. I cut the sides off from the tall portion of my rack. A picture would be worth 1000 words here, but I don't have one now. Anyway, I added some steel sleeves, fabbed a blind nut into the one vertical bar that I had to cut, creating removable side bars.

My CVT hard shell tent fits much closer to the roof now, but I only put it up when I'm going to be using it for a couple few trips, not year-round. I put the side bars back on when I don't have the tent up there.

If you want to run a RTT, I'd recommend no sides.

acg (01-22-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

An update on the use of the Baja Rack this summer.... I decided on the expedition version with the flat mounting platform in the rear. I've spent the summer with it and it is working out well with the current RTT hanging out at the rear of the truck. The next step is to mount another RTT on the trailer. This will accommodate our family of wifey, 3 sons and a dog.

I like the expedition version (flat back without the raised sides). The RTT is already sitting pretty high with this version of the rack and my 2" suspension lift. I had to use a tent ladder extension at its extension limit. I am 6' tall and have to raise my toes or climb up the truck to access certain parts of the tent. Therefore, I am glad that I did not get the standard version of the rack with the fully railed sides throughout the rack. This would raise the tent up by another few inches.

Here are some recent pics of the weeklong trip from British Columbia to Oregon. We camped out at the beach and sand dunes for a few days. Then another few days in Portland for the British Field Meet gathering.

Attached Thumbnails Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-11036720_10152951008597602_8403904455974622484_n.jpg   Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-img_0158.jpg   Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed-img_0160.jpg  

Last edited by acg; 09-15-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How do you like that awning? I really want to purchase that next.

I use exactly the same setup as you in regard to the tent, but I have mine hanging off the drivers side when setup. I have a bit higher lift than you I think and I have to use the floor extension on the "basement" part as I call it. I also have to use the ladder extension. No way I can reach the whole thing...I climb up on the rear tires to unfold/fold it.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:58 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Hi 5kcstq,

Are you asking about the RTT awning or the side awning?

The RTT awning comes with the $1100 package price. I do not use it too often as I have a Tepui ground tent. My kids sleep in the RTT and I sleep in the ground tent. I am already using the ladder extension with 2" lift kit.

Regarding the side awning, it is a OzTrail 2-meter tent. Most of the side awnings sold by the different brands use a similar design (except for Hannibal). I recommend a side awning to anyone. They are easy to set up and re-assemble. They provide quick shade relief for temporary rest stops or during camping. One thing though.... I wished I had bought OzTrail's 2.5-meter version instead of 2meter version. I would like to add the side walls/awning room. Apparently, OzTrail does not offer awning rooms for their 2-meter version. This would be something which you may want to check.

Quick Reply: Baja Rack with Roof Top Tent Installed