Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Master Cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Master Cylinder problem

I just replaced the Brake Master Cylinder on by 2003 Disco II

I can't figure out what is going on? I can't get any fluid to flow from the master cylinder to the ABS box? There are no valves, or any obstructions between the output of the brake master cylinder lines (2) on the inboard side of the cylinder and the ABS box but when I pump the brakes there is no flow whatsoever from the cylinder out those tubes. I have the input lines disconnected from the ABS and a clear line and have drawn a vacuum on the line and it sucks brake fluid from baster cylinder reservoir to the line? It seems there should be easy flow every time I pump the brakes but nothing comes out the tubes when I pump the brakes? When I do push in on the brakes there are bubbles that come out of the small hole in the bottom of the brake reservoir every time I push down. What am I doing wrong.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder? Also did you get the pin inside the booster seated inside the master cylinder?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Also did you get the pin inside the booster seated inside the master cylinder?
I made this mistake and had suck all the fluid out and take the master cylinder off and then looked inside and there was a pin that needed to go in the master cylinder.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also if you have the Autocom or Hawkeye you can bleed the ABS and the brake lines with that. It will make bleeding the brakes a lot faster and easier.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Brake Booster exploded view - pin now not connected?

Originally Posted by OilPatch
I made this mistake and had suck all the fluid out and take the master cylinder off and then looked inside and there was a pin that needed to go in the master cylinder.
OilPatch and Ralphoh - looks like you both hit the nail on the head.

However, I may have messed something up in the process. The Pin was just laying there and there is a "star" type attachment ring that isn't attached to anything and I can't figure out what it attaches to and how? Attached are pictures.

Does anyone have an exploded view of the brake booster portion where the pin is located. I'm afraid something may have fallen off the pin and is now inside the brake booster - there is room for it too fall through the springs and rest inside the booster. If it's magnetic maybe I can fish it out with a magnet?

Any help with how the pin attaches inside the booster (if it does) or what its supposed to attach with would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Master Cylinder problem-imgp2309.jpg   Brake Master Cylinder problem-imgp2310.jpg   Brake Master Cylinder problem-imgp2311.jpg   Brake Master Cylinder problem-imgp2314.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah that plunger shouldn't of come out. That star clip retains it into the Brake Booster.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Yeah that plunger shouldn't of come out. That star clip retains it into the Brake Booster.
ralph is correct

Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks - got it sorted with some help from this forum

Originally Posted by drowssap
ralph is correct

Thanks. With all your help and some special help from the folks at Lucky8LLC I got it sorted. What I was worried about was whether there was another part or something that might have fallen into the booster. They pulled a booster from their stock and looked it over and sure enough, just the star clip snaps in to hold the plunger. I fiddled around and got the star to snap in and all is well. I still have a little bleeding to do to get things back to full firmness but that will have to wait a few days.

Thanks again and a special thanks to Lucky8 for taking the time to get "eyes on" the the real thing to be sure.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Useful postings, I've learned somethings today. I have to maybe swap out my master cylinder soon and so I'll know what to look out for - thanks to you guys

Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

You gotta love the parts guys that are truly customer service oriented and willing to do things like this knowing they aren't making a dime from the time spent. It's hearing stuff like this that make you know they are willing to go the extra step.

I almost called them about my steering issue this weekend, but I knew they were out "training"

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder problem