Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing spark plug wires

Have a 2001 Land rover Discovery. Have a bad/arch in the #8 spark plug wire. I'm going to change the plugs and wires... Never done this before on a land rover. Anyone have any suggestions on what i may be up against. Thanks

Old 05-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Rock Crawling

take old wire off and put new wire on. coils are behind the intake and it's a little tight. you might scrap some skin off a knuckle or two, then you will curse a little =)

Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 PM
Drifting

i want to change all the wires..do i need to pull the intake manifold to replace all the wires or can i squeeze my hand back there and change all of them

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
7th Gear

I need to change my wires too and have been looking around for instructions.
DeepBlueWater provided a step by step way without pulling the intake manifold.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/replace-wires-without-removing-im-9657/

My question - I realize everyone likes the magnecor wires, but i think i'm leaning toward the much cheaper 8mm Kingsborne. http://www.kingsbornewires.com/produ...&productId=757
The description says they have "screw-on coil terminals." Do you guys think the screw-on will be a problem considering how apparently difficult it is to get back to the coil without taking off the manifold. Thanks for any input

Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chad420
i want to change all the wires..do i need to pull the intake manifold to replace all the wires or can i squeeze my hand back there and change all of them
You can get back there but it is tight. Remember you own a Land Rover and you will need smaller hands. There is a post here somewhere with pictures on how to do it. It is pretty self explanatory though. The post will show you the hoses that can be easily disconnected to get them out of your way. Also I suggest you go slow and only do a couple at a time so you don't get confused, and find a wiring diagram just in case. If you need one PM me.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the wires on a 2001 and I have big hands. No scraped knuckles either. Use the search forum feature to find the write up and wiring diagram for which wire goes to each spot on the coils. I personally found it easier to remove all of them and refer to the diagram replacing the bottom row on the coils and then the top row. Mark the old wires as you remove them and lay them on the garage floor and then match up the new wires by length. Give yourself a few hours to accomplish the task.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Mudding

i just did the wires yesterday and here are some tips:

1. TAKE ALL WIRES OFF but work from side to side, try to start the PASS. side first and then finish with the drivers side. Get Cylinder #3 and #4 out of the way first(meaning put the new wires on #3 and #4 first)

2. No need to remove ANYTHING, on the link above it talks about removing intake and the IAC valve.... etc, none of those things are even in the way, the only thing you'll see that's in the way is the A/C line along the fire wall b/c it gives you a hard time for your knuckles to position the wire into its designated hole.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Drifting

anyone know where i can find the wiring diagram online....For some reason i can't find it.????

Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Mudding

here it is

Attached Thumbnails changing spark plug wires-dii-firing-order.jpg  
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

That diagram looks familiar...

Quick Reply: changing spark plug wires