Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covering sunroofs completely wth vinyl sticker to stop leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Covering sunroofs completely wth vinyl sticker to stop leaks.

I finally made good on my threat of completely covering up my sunroofs to stop this leak that's not fixable. Pics included. It has rained 1 time since doing this and no leaks so far! They are useless to me anyway, I never open them, so they're just a liability for my interior really. I used a 3M vinyl wrap material and applied it with a heat gun after cleaning surfaces with alcohol.

Attached Thumbnails Covering sunroofs completely wth vinyl sticker to stop leaks.-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by kfx4001442:
acg (01-21-2015), danboy (01-31-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, that works too!

For future reference, the usual source of leaking is the space between the sunroof frame, and the vehicle roof. The seal dry rots horribly, allowing water to seep in and make a mess of things. The fix is to drop the headliner, and the drip tray, and to remove the sunroof assy from the vehicle. Clean the mating surface of dirt, apply a healthy bead of clear silicon between the roof and frame, and reinstall. Clear any excess silicon that squeezes out, let it cure, and you're all set.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:48 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I am wondering if PlastiDip will also work?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Covering the whole sun roof with vinyl is a great idea! I've used clear duct tape, but while it works, it looks sort of ghetto. I will do this this spring.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered Satin Black color because it was the closest match to my roofs paint condition/color. I didn't want it to stand out. It looks great to me and nobody would ever know unless I pointed it out. Too many ways those sunroofs fail for me to fool with. I never use them and wish they were never installed at the factory. I need to pull the fuse to them before somebody decides to open one and ruins my "repair." Dropping the headliner and removing trays sounds like more work than they're worth to me.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have to admit sealing up the sunroof(s) is not a bad idea at all. To fix them is a real PITA and when you come to think about it most don't need or use the sunroof, at least I very rarely use both of mine. In the summer most have aircon and the noise from a sunroof whilst travelling at over 30mph is too great and in the winter you never need to open the sunroof. The only conceivable use for mine I've discovered is if I leave an animal in the truck and being I don't have a dog anymore it's not necessary and if necessary it's possible to leave the side window slightly open. So if not needed it makes sense to seal them rather than strip out the headliner, strip out the sunroof frames, fix any broken plastic sump drain boxes and tubes and fit it all back together again and that's assuming they don't still leak after all the hard work and a day or so fixing them.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want it done right the first time, listen to Racer X, that's what I did when I replaced my headliner. I have no issues with leaks.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 05:20 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dnice
If you want it done right the first time, listen to Racer X, that's what I did when I replaced my headliner. I have no issues with leaks.
I agree and I've posted many sunroof repair write up's by me and others but it isn't a 5 minute fix and you need good clean tools, 2# tubes of Araldite, 3# tubes of marine grade mastic, brake cleaner or cellulose thinners, a compressor air line, lots of patience and two days plus to spare if you do the job properly and have twin sunroofs and rear A/C where the ducts have to be removed first. It will also cost you for new frame to bodywork rubber seals, new sunroof glass seals etc. I have done this job on mine and recovered the headliner with new identical material and that is a 1-2 day job alone. If you do the whole 'works' properly yourself you will be into €400-500 and 4 days. You also need a covered area/barn or garage and temperatures of 10C plus for the various adhesives/mastics to work and set without any condensation. It certainly isn't a job for the faint hearted or impatient. Worthwhile, most certainly, provided you take your time and clean everything spotlessly before, during and afterwards. Otherwise sealing them up as they are often as useful as a 'chocolate teapot' is another very good option.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:33 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

a couple of beads of black silicone seem to be doing the trick for me. a previous post recommended GE 30 year silicone (bought it at HD), cleaned, applied, tacked. No leaks for a few months now. of course, my beads leave a little to be desired...

Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

If your seals aren't shot, a tube of "the right stuff" is all you need.

Quick Reply: Covering sunroofs completely wth vinyl sticker to stop leaks.