Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Covering sunroofs completely wth vinyl sticker to stop leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had actually tried running a bead of black silicone around the housing of each sunroof, where the plastic housing sits on the painted surface of the roof and had mixed results, but my truck is not a garage queen and it dries out and cracks eventually allowing a leak at what seems like the worst time for it, like when I have a hot date in the truck. My drains are intact. I checked them myself while the upolstry shop had the head liner out recovering it. I just realized that i seriously had not opened them in over 5 years, and just decided to delete them. They are too much a liability for me, with zero reward. To each is own though. I decided to bypass my Throttlebody Heater Plate instead of replacing it as well, for the same reasoning. Just not needed, and fail too often with potentially catastrophic concequences. I live in Alabama and its just not that cold here in the winter.

Last edited by kfx4001442; 01-27-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Still no leaks! So at the very least if you are trying to figure out if your leak is caused by your sunroof or the roof rack rails that's bolted to the truck's roof this idea will help you single out the leak. I wouldnt't invest the money (about 50 bucks) in a 3M Vinyl product and a heat gun to apply unless I meant it to be there for the long haul. A more cost effective temporary cover could be done with a black trash back stretched over the entire sunroof casing, and black duct tape to seal it to the painted surface. I bought a 60" x 36" section of Satin Black colored 3M Vinyl Wrap and had a little to spare after covering both sunroofs. Keep the extra to patch any holes that occur.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by acg
I am wondering if PlastiDip will also work?
I'm not sure if that would work or not being that Plasti-Dip is a spray on application, and what you are tying to cover has gaps in it, such as between the glass panel and the plastic housing it sits in. I've never used Plasti-Dip before and can't be sure how it would work out. It may be thick enough when applied to bridge that gap, or if you have enough of it just fill the gap full and keep going. I'd be willing to bet a Dollar it would work though. Lol! Probably be cheaper and easier too.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I have used the spray leak products on a few occasions. flexi dip seal.....all about the same. I would bet that it might work also. I covered a 40' corrosion infested channel, that used to be a galvanized warehouse gutter. it had several holes and was thin and rusted. leaked like it wasn't there. It was a rental, so instead of replacing, I covered it with that junk over a year ago, still no leaks.

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I have used the spray leak products on a few occasions. flexi dip seal.....all about the same. I would bet that it might work also. I covered a 40' corrosion infested channel, that used to be a galvanized warehouse gutter. it had several holes and was thin and rusted. leaked like it wasn't there. It was a rental, so instead of replacing, I covered it with that junk over a year ago, still no leaks.
But I bet you wouldn't get into that boat in your best Sunday togs reliant on that stuff though Dusty

Old 01-30-2015, 09:52 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Hmmm my 04 D2 has 2 sunroofs with 150,000 and still no leaks and both work flawlessly! Guess I was lucky.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
But I bet you wouldn't get into that boat in your best Sunday togs reliant on that stuff though Dusty
not even if I were wearing your Sunday best.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Hmmm my 04 D2 has 2 sunroofs with 150,000 and still no leaks and both work flawlessly! Guess I was lucky.
TRIARII, you have got to be so damned lucky. As sure as night follows day D1, D2 and D3 sunroof seals fail and let in water of varying amounts sooner or later. Hope you stay lucky

After they have leaked it usually kills the headliner

Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
TRIARII, you have got to be so damned lucky. As sure as night follows day D1, D2 and D3 sunroof seals fail and let in water of varying amounts sooner or later. Hope you stay lucky

After they have leaked it usually kills the headliner

Oh and did I mention that my headliner though not "flawless" is in pretty dam good shape for the year and mileage! Knock on wood..... maybe tomorrow my seals will fail!

Old 02-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am also lucky. My sunroofs don't leak either and the truck is already 15 years old.

Quick Reply: Covering sunroofs completely wth vinyl sticker to stop leaks.