Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disappearing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappearing coolant

I have an 02 Disco that is presenting an odd problem to me. After being away for the weekend, I picked up my disco and before driving off I noticed the expansion tank was almost empty. When I was parked Friday night it was full. I've made a habit of checking the coolant level almost daily due to the horror stories we all see daily. I've got no leaks externally. No coolant in the oil. No boiling. No overheating issues. None of the classic signs of hg failure. I performed 3 block tests which all showed no leaks (chemically). Anyone else had similar symptoms?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Either a massive air pocket got eliminated, you have a leak, or your consuming coolant.

I'd start with an HC (hydrocarbon) test on the coolant, and go from there.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

hmph... a disco from a parallel universe (the real ones, not some silly sci-fi thingy), desperately in need of coolant, hopped across the multiverse and took some of yours while you were not looking, nor expecting it.

or...

what racerx said.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Overlanding

I did the HC test with negative or in this case, positive results. There was little to no color change. I guess the next step will be compression testing as there is no external leak. As for this parallel universe rover, let me catch him taking my coolant.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You don't mention a pressure test of the cooling system being done but you do know there are no leaks?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Overlanding

Unfortunately I don't have access to one at the moment. I plan on having it tested at a shop within the next two days. I jumped the gun on being 100 % sure it is not leaking. If it is losing coolant and not showing the obvious signs of a hg issue it has to be going somewhere though.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamestfl
hmph... a disco from a parallel universe (the real ones, not some silly sci-fi thingy), desperately in need of coolant, hopped across the multiverse and took some of yours while you were not looking, nor expecting it.
...and that would be the Mars Rover and I wouldn't want to mess with him

Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm sorry to say this is may be a symptom of a blown head gasket. If the front or rear of the gasket blows, it will leak coolant but the coolant won't get into the oil or vice versa.

Lay underneath with a flashlight and examine the front and rear of the heads. I bet you'll see a trail of coagulated coolant (especially if you are still running dexcool).

Old 08-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I'm sorry to say this is may be a symptom of a blown head gasket. If the front or rear of the gasket blows, it will leak coolant but the coolant won't get into the oil or vice versa.

Lay underneath with a flashlight and examine the front and rear of the heads. I bet you'll see a trail of coagulated coolant (especially if you are still running dexcool).
Surely something would show up on the ground? The entire expansion tank is empty..not saying it couldn't coagulate but seems like there would be something getting wet below. To the OP, are you parked on pavement or gravel? When mine went (and I had dexcool) I had a nice puddle on the ground and there was no way you could miss it. It was leaking in the rear of the gasket.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Uv dye additive is an optional helper, too

Quick Reply: disappearing coolant