Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with door locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with door locks

03 disco II, 40,000 mi. driver's door lock wont respond with remote or dash switch, all others work just fine. locks and unlocks with key only. actuator?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Help with door locks

Yup, sounds like the door actuator.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Where is a good place to order online? Is it something i can change out myself? Any how too links? Please any info. that would helpfull. I would like to git this problem fixed asap, thanks.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Yes you can do it yourself. Go to NAPA and buy a "body spoon", it is used to pop body panels off of cars without damaging them.
Start at the bottom and carefully pop off the drivers door, you will need to remove some screws to completly remove the door panel.
Find the lock actuator and remove it.
Now comes the fun part, I have not done this myself but have heard of it being done, there is a write up on it somewhere but I cannot remember where.
Open the lock actuator and remove the DC motor, take it to Radio Shack and buy a new DC motor, re-install the new motor, re-install the door lock actuator. Total cost is $5.
Otherwise you can buy a good used actuator from www.roverlandparts.com

Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Drifting

Thanks Spike, Removed the door panel this afternoon, Idenfied the actuator, unpluged the wires, now how do I remove it cant see it that well I quit for this evening will git back to it Tue. long day tomorrow. Any advice please. thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Just unscrew it and pull it out. Becareful not to drop any pieces into the bottom of the door.
You may need to roll the window down to get it to come out.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spike, spike spike spike.....

The window has to be up and there's no going around without removing the side mirror and the door frame. This sounds like extensive work, but believe me, take your time, do one thing at a time and you'll be done within an hour. You'll spend more time looking for a shortcut than it will take you to do it right since you'll have to face the fact that the mirror and frame have to come out. For the mirror, you have to remove the inside triangle plastic cap to have access to the bolts.

As far as trying to fix it, unless you have another vehicle to run for parts, or don't mind re-installing the door frame and mirror to run for parts, don't waste your time and get a replacement before you tackle this job. IMO the best place to get a new actuator is the dealer. The sell for around $120.00 and come with a 1 year warranty. If you go for used, you'll save some $30 to $40 and you have absolutely no idea how much life is left in them.

If you need any assistance for the job, here's my phone#........just kidding!!! let us know and we'll assist you, no problem!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Team Owner

HA! I knew I was forgetting something, sorry. Thank you for clearing that up Darover.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Spike, Darover you guys have me lost. I thought I had this thing figured out till now. may beim wrong but isnt the actuator by the door lock, the door handle is under the mirror can put my hand behind it, nothing their but door handle. what I think is actuator is at the other end of the door near the lock if im right its easy to get to I just don't see or feel any bolts or screws.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

What Darover is saying is that I am a idiot, I have not replaced a door lock actuator on a DII before but I have replaced one on a DI. It is a easy job on a DI. 30 min tops.
Yes the actuator is by the door latch/lock. On a DI you just unhook the rod and unscrew the actuator, the screws and the actuator fall to the bottom of the door and you wind up fishing around for your parts for 60 mins so that you can put it all back together.
He says that you need to remove stuff then I guess you need to remove stuff.
It is straight forward on a DI and I assumed that it was as such on a DII as well.
Good luck, now that we have you troughly confused.

Quick Reply: Help with door locks