Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric fans....anyone running these, particular ones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts
Default electric fans....anyone running these, particular ones?

Land Rover Discovery 99 04 FF Dynamics Electric Twin Cooling Fan Conversion Kit | eBay

with shipping its about 100 bucks cheaper that the dual flex a lite set up (route i was planning). comes with controller and sender.
seems like a decent product, figured i'd check with you folks.
so, whatcha know?

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (02-24-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

interesting....subscribed.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, I'm interested in info on this too. I have a new radiator and the thermostat mod, but reducing the work the engine needs to do, along with possibly not worrying about nuking my engine at idle

anyone?

thanks

scott

Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

well, I couldn't find much on them, in reference to rovers. I did order one. so I will know shortly if it is worth it. certainly cheaper than flex a lite. and it comes with sender and new controller , though I don't need either. i'll let you know

Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks sweet. Someone needs to give them a try! I just wish they had pics of one installed on a rover.

Also maybe I read over it too quick but what kind of temp sensor do they use? One that goes between the radiator fins or one that actually uses coolant temp? I've never used a sensor that sat between the fins, seems they would take a little more adjusting to get right.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

it comes with both. the fin and screw in. just have to have a bung in the line. I have 2 already, 1 fore and 1 aft. I will just tap into those. they are sending info to my electric water pump controller. it has provisions for electric fan.

the fin type are not usually accurate

Last edited by dusty1; 01-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. I hope it works and if so I may be going that route as well. Thanks for playing guinea pig!

Old 01-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

yep, I figure....I am building a new engine, so I will test this out on the current one.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I looked into the SPAL dual fan setup, but with all the pieces it was going to be about twice the price as the one mentioned in this thread. An electric fan puts more load on the battery and charging system and could result in higher costs there. For example, you may need a high output alternator, a second battery, battery cables and possibly an isolator (matter of choice). By itself it may not need those things, but it will certainly demand a top-notch battery and a healthy alternator. Add a winch and aux lights, and then you're probably spending more for sure. I think Dusty1 was already planning some of those things, but for me it would have added hundreds of dollars to the cost of the electric fans, which in the case of SPAL were already pretty costly.

I also found out the mechanical fan with the clutch functioning (locked up) will likely flow more at all engine speeds. The mechanical fan probably flows an excess amount. That is the only way the electric, operating through the alternator, could be more efficient. It simply flows closer to the requirements instead of excessively. It could also have an advantage of being quieter. The mechanical fan is very noisy when the clutch is locked up. But otherwise, the mechanical fan is a lot more cost effective.

Where electrics really work well is with a transverse-mounted engine (common in front wheel drive cars), or with more aerodynamic front clips that don't fit the single mechanical fan well.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I have the stuff to run it. Couple of yellows and a hi output.
Looking at it as small hp saver (every little bit adds up)and for efficiency and thought this looked like a good deal....if it works.
Yes the mech fan is economical, and it's less efficient.
Most new trucks use them for efficiency and space savers. On when it's needed, off when it's not. Truck warms up super fast. My 14 p/u runs them and only has a like a 145 alt and cheap azz gm issue battery.

Quick Reply: electric fans....anyone running these, particular ones?