Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Power Steering Floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Power Steering Floor

So I've been searching for Valvoline "SynPower" synthetic power steering fluid. I've been to Advance Auto Parts and O'Reilly's Auto Parts. I then started searching online. I can't find this stuff anywhere. Does anyone use this? If so, where did you find it??

I also picked up some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I'm not sure that I actually have a leak, but I heard it has great conditioners in it that helps control slack and squeals. Has anyone used this? What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic Power Steering Floor

I have not used the Lucas stop leak but heard it works really well. You only want to use a little bit though, to much will clog your system.
Use synthetic transmisson fluid. That is what it calls for, ATF not power steering fluid. And it is much easier to find.
Drain the system and then refill with sythetic ATF and then add the Lucas if/when it leaks as a top off.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Mudding

So ATF in the Power Steering and ACE reservoirs?

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Whatever you do, DON'T use ATF in a place where it is not intended to be used.

As for the Vavolines synthetic p/s fluid, it is in the 4 closest auto parts store to me, Checker, Napa, Auto Zone and some local no name store, so I am not sure why you can find it.
They also have the Vavoline p/brake synthetic fluid which is great if you are running Kevlar pads and or DBA trype rotors.

The Lucas p/s additive is great but works best when put in in the spring, if you are in the really cold climate, it will be to thick, and make your pumps, ACE or P/S singer for about 5 seconds on a 0 degree day.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Damn, can't believe I just read this. An hour ago, I changed the fluid and added a whole bottle of lucas. I live in IL, so its pretty cold. What to do now?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

I have not used the Lucas stop leak but heard it works really well. You only want to use a little bit though, to much will clog your system.
Use synthetic transmisson fluid. That is what it calls for, ATF not power steering fluid. And it is much easier to find.
Drain the system and then refill with sythetic ATF and then add the Lucas if/when it leaks as a top off.
Only on D1's and even then, it might just be 97 & 98....BMW years.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: RamblingMan

Damn, can't believe I just read this. An hour ago, I changed the fluid and added a whole bottle of lucas. I live in IL, so its pretty cold. What to do now?
Use a baster (sp) and suck the majority of it out and then fill the rest with Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering fluid. too much Lucas will ruin the system.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: johnnybob06

Lucas... ruin... system.
Agreed.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Mudding

Yes I can attest to the too much lucas is bad.. blew out my high pressure hose I had to spend 4hours getting the power steering pump out and replacing the o ring on it to fix it.

Unfortunally my gearbox has been leaking (reason i got lucas) and still is.. So dont fill up with lucas like it says on that bottle

Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Vavoline's synthetic and some amount of Lucas has always been a great way to go. Rover pumps and gear boxes are pretty "English" and act up alot, the synthetic seems to keep them happier.
If you are having valve related issues with your steering, the use of some Lucas in the warmer monthe will make a huge difference in it's operaqtion.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Power Steering Floor