Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to get warranty or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
TReK
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts
Default to get warranty or not

well my 2004 disco warranty is coming to an end in 6000 km i have had it for almost 2 years and no major problems, except coil pack and oil pan and crank gaskets replaced under original warranty, plus i got a woods drive shaft out of it, all major service has been done, engine rebuilt with new liners 4 years ago by other owner, it has 118000 km now if i get the new warranty it will cost 2400 bucks but its 2 years unlimited kms, and it pretty much covers everything,
what do you guys think ? im not much of it do it yourself even though im a refrigeration mechanic but just dont have the space and just hate working on cars.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only you can decide - but if you're the kind of driver who shows up on the service drive for issues, remember $2400 can go QUICK...

Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is it an extended LR warranty, or some 3rd party warranty?

If you can do the work yourself I would say $2400 buys a lot of parts.

If indeed you do not feel comfortable replacing say head gaskets, them I would say go for it.
the cost of replacing the headgaskets will cover most of the warranty.

But read the agreement very closely to what is covered and what is not,
these company are not in buisness to lose money.

Last edited by drowssap; 07-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Will depend on who the warranty company is. I would check them out and also have them send you a copy of the actual warranty to see exactly what is covered and when.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Will depend on who the warranty company is. I would check them out and also have them send you a copy of the actual warranty to see exactly what is covered and when.
Exactly. If they cover engines and transmissions and ABS, etc and they don't have a crazy deductible, and you don't do work yourself, I'd probably get it. There are posts I've seen where people have spent $2500 on a warranty and then got a $10,000 engine replacement afterward.

Me personally, my disco isn't worth it.... I'd spend the $2500 on a used engine and parts needed to install it, if that time comes.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
TReK

Yes it's a 3rd party but according to the shop I deal with their pretty good at covering all major parts and small parts plus they have a zero deductible
I think I'm getting it I line my disco but just want to have a piece of mind for the next 2 years just in case. The previous owner got lucky when the liners slipped the warranty paid 9200 for the engine rebuilt

Old 07-20-2012, 04:58 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Always seek references.

Have that shop give you the phone number of a customer or a few of them
who have used that Warranty on an engine at this shop.

If they will not provide this information - then the warranty is suspect.

most of these 3rd party warranty companies are on the sham side.
If they will pay for anything - it will be minimal.

You need references.
If that warranty is $1,500 to $2,000 total (total up monthly payments for it)
then forget it.

Even at $1,000 -forget it.

Unless this is thru Land Rover North America and backed up by them.

For grins - what is the name of the warrenty company offering it?
We can google it and see what the fair vs scam factor is.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

They also will not cover preventive maintenace like for instance; rebuilding your drive shaft.

We all know it is going to have to be rebuilt at some point, they will not cover that.

But when it fails and takes out the tranny and rips a big hloe in the floor, that they proably would cover.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
TReK

I'm not sure what the name is I'll have to ask the shop. But according to my shop they have not had any problems getting claims paid. I do have a brand new Tom woods shaft that my other warranty paid for. I will find out the name

Old 07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
I'm not sure what the name is I'll have to ask the shop. But according to my shop they have not had any problems getting claims paid. I do have a brand new Tom woods shaft that my other warranty paid for. I will find out the name
You may like your shop a lot but they aren't the ones that are going to approve any repairs. Get a copy of the policy (it's insurance, not a warranty) and read all the fine print. If there is any way out of paying a claim (insurance term again) they will use it. I actually find it amazing that one is being offered. Around here it's almost impossible to get anyone to write a service contract on a Rover (wonder why).

Quick Reply: to get warranty or not