Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean your MAF:

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I forgot about that line, very good.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Switzer, go ahead and clean your MAF per the instructions you posted. I would be curious to see what effect it truly has on the MAF. Make sure and give us regular updates say every 10K, to let us know. I know very little about the MAF so I am really curious.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cleaned mine I think a month or so ago. Getting close to 1,500 miles without an issue.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike,

I respect your experience in the field as a service manager. This was not meant to attack you or your knowledge of Land Rovers.

Whatever the decision, from going to war to cleaning a MAF, needs a balance of opinions and experience before making a good decision.

There are too many variables and different procedures out there to say cleaning a MAF will kill it. How it is handled, is it already broken, how it is cleaned and with what type of cleaners all matter. I provided a link to a website that details exact steps on how to accomplish a successful MAF cleaning.

I need more information than just cleaned MAF's die. Follow this advice at your own risk.

I know there is always a tendency to assume opinion as fact, so I try to provide as much information to back up my opinion. If anyone can provide this post with a link to information pertaining to dead MAF's and cleaning I'm all for it.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Switzer, go ahead and clean your MAF per the instructions you posted. I would be curious to see what effect it truly has on the MAF. Make sure and give us regular updates say every 10K, to let us know. I know very little about the MAF so I am really curious.
I cleaned the MAF before my original posting. So far I've noticed a smoother running and responding engine. My gas mileage is also improved, but I'll have to wait to fill up to be certain.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Has this ever fixed anyone's MAF?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

it will not fix it, and it can hurt it. just the same way doing an engine flush can free up carbon and cause an engine to sieze. its a car, and yes, a lot of stuff can happen. if you clean the sensor with it not plugged in, and allow the chemicals to dry off properly, it wont hurt anything, unless the chemicals cause a film, or something gets logged out of place. ive cleaned them before, and nothin bad happend, that said, theres no real reason to clean it, unless youre already expecting to replace it, just dont be surprised if you still need to

Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on that. If it is off, unplugged, and allowed to dry properly after the cleaning.... You have to be very careful, but if anything is left on the hotwire after, it will die the second it gets power. Not as easy as cleaning the T-body, but most people take it as such..

Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just took mine out and licked all the dirt and grime off of it and put it back in...

Old 03-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week I had the codes 1172 and 734 which I believe point to the maf sensor. I have been running a k&n air filter for over 2 years so I assumed that this would be coming sometime. After seeing this post I figured I might as well try to clean if I will need a new one anyway. After putting it all back together and clearing the codes there are no new codes yet. I have drove about 40 miles since cleaning it and have seemed to gain a little bit of power. I still have a rough idle but I think once I change the plugs and wires I will be set. I will keep everyone posted if it holds up or if I have to break down and buy a new one.

2000 disco 2, 102000 miles

Quick Reply: How to clean your MAF: