Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack Broke

Goofy question here. I was using the jack out of my Disco to lift a Volvo out of the sand at Lake Mead. When I was letting the jack back down, I think I loosened the valve a little too much and it popped out. All the oil (hydrolic) squirted out all over the place and of course now the jack doesn't work. I took it over to an autoparts store to get it refilled or whatever. They had no idea what to do with it. So they sold me a $3 bottle of "Jack Oil". So, I figured, it's broke now how much worse can I make it. I unscrewed the plug put as much oil in it that I could and screwed the plug back in. The jack still doesn't work. How bad did I *jack* this thing up?

Brian

Old 06-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Jack Broke

A buddy and I were redoing the railing on my front deck and I was using the jack to support one of the support beams when my buddy did the same thing. I as well bought the $3 bottle of hydraulic fluid and spent about an hour trying to bleed all the air out. In the end, I threw the dam thing away and bought a new one. You can pick up a 2 ton jack pretty inexpensively. Of course I have looked at buying the original from online stores and they want $100 for this jack. Not worth it to me as I now have a replacement that work just fine for about $20. I also ended up breaking the rubber plug, so to me it wasn’t worth fixing.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can salvage it. If not go to a Auto Parts store, you should be able to find one that will work.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Mudding

Very cool thanks! I figured at this point I was screwed. Will a 3rd party jack will fit in the engine compartment and have the hight to lift a stock disco?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Rock Crawling

take the rover with you to the store, and ask to try it. they may, then again they may not. worth a try. I did have trouble with a jack as well. I ended up buying a rover jack. the third party I tried did not work. check ebay. you may find one less expensive. I found one after I paid for the rover jack. hope it helps, gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 06-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Mudding

Cool thanks. I'm actually bidding on one on Ebay right now! I'll find out if I get it or not.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Prepilot_3ck, the jack I found at Auto-Zone worked just fine. I painted my calipers and used this jack along with my wifes kia sorento jack with no problems.

hope you win the one off of ebay.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Mudding

Cool, if this ebay thing doesn't work out. I may just get the one from AutoZone. Question though; Painting your calipers?

Brian

Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Yeah, I painted my calipers silver so they stick out. I think it looks pretty sharp. My wife owns a kia sorento and I also post on a kia forum, this is where I got the idea to do it. I will post a pic once I get my LR cleaned up.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Mudding

Hey, whatever pops your cork I guess. Right on. I'm a few short minutes from winning/losing that Rover Jack. This dude like dissasemlbed an entire Disco and is selling every part on eBay. Seats, fuse box, frick'n mirrors, ash trays, power lock switches etc... It's pretty nuts. I'm just glad I don't need anything other than the Jack. Crap is spendy.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 06-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Mudding

Wowhoo! I won the jack. It comes with the entire tool kit too! Wow! $41. I hope it works.

Brian

Quick Reply: Jack Broke