Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Vs. Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:54 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Only in a Heep'
Isn't that their catch phrase?

Old 01-15-2017, 10:56 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Frank,
I actually don't vape, have no tattoos, no stds, do not do any type of martial art, and have no children of any sort. I know jeeps suck and you can't keep them running. Chrysler is the problem. However, Land Rovers are much more expensive and unreliable. They are comfortable, I'll give you that. But if you're looking for comfort I've heard Mercedes and Cadillac are the leaders in that department. I drive a crappy 95 ford f150 by the way. I have never owned a Jeep.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Land Rover's are only more $$$$ if you don't have a clue what you're doing or if you don't know where to buy your parts.

I spent much more $$$$ on keeping my 05 Wranglers on the road and Jeep has a horrific warranty department, and they DO NOT stand behind their product.

You can't ever make a Jeep beat a LR in my mind sorry. I've been there done that and the new wave of Jeep owners make me sick to my stomach..

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-15-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:21 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how half of you guys have LR's just for parts yet claim that they're cheap to maintain. Yes, if I had two of any vehicle I bet I could cobble together a working one.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

You're comparing apples and oranges. The original jeep wasn't a brand but a design for a 4wd utility truck. As such, you could argue that anything like a 4wd utility truck that was made after it was a derivative, but that's just how marketing works.
Once jeep became Jeep -- that is, it moved from a design designation and became a brand unto itself -- it started to be something different. Same thing happened with LR and every other 4wd utility truck out there.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I've owned both brands and various models of each brand. I have tattoos, I chew Levi Garrett, and love in the Deep South. I also like to maintain my own vehicles and each brand has their upsides and downsides. Some cost more than others to maintain no matter what brand you are speaking of. Hell one of my favorite jeeps was the Comanche and I had a running one and a parts one so there is no difference there. When you look at the fact that these vehicles we are discussing are anywhere from 13-17 1/2 years old, it's smart to have a "parts truck" since it's cost effective to maintaining a vehicle. The new parts are scarce and are getting close to the federally mandated lifespan to be manufactured. When you have a good group of people that are active in these forums, it benefits all since we can work with each other to obtain the parts we need to maintain the vehicles we enjoy and it is still cost effective. Have you tried to maintain a jeep that's hard to get parts for, a Comanche or a j10? Working with other enthusiast is great because everybody benefits. All manufacturers have bought or borrowed designs from others. Take the Toyota Tundra, that engine is a remade version of the chevy small block 350. The 86 Comanche I loved and hated had a stock chevy v6. We can argue all day long and every day but for those of us that enjoy our vehicles, will continue to get part trucks, spare parts, part connections, etc to make sure we can keep them working in the condition we desire. This is comparing apples and oranges and is turning into a rants and rave ad from a craigslist section made by a guy in his Mom's basement whom looks like Eric Cartman playing world of Warcraft or dungeons and dragons.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Oh and I don't have std's, watch wrestling or attend mma events, have a stepson, or any of that other ****.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Yeah Jeep parts are SO cheap.... BS!! Grand Cherokee window regulator is like 500.00, OPDA Sensor for 05-06 Wrangler is 500.00 easy, so don't try and tell me LR parts are more... It depends on what part your after.

Also I own 5 Land Rover's and they all run and move. The 03 that I classify as a parts vehicle didn't come with a title so yes it's for parts only or off-road use.

If I still had my 05 Wranglers I'd need a parts car for em to stay on the road.... They used up brake calipers like my LR's use up fuel...

Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

why are you guys entertaining a troll.......?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Since I own both a Disco and a Grand Cherokee (1993) I can compare those two, now my 1993 ZJ is on a 6 inch lift with long arms and aftermarket axles, so its not quite a fair comparison between it and a stock Disco, but...
Disco:
Almost on factory long arms, more stock articulation of suspension, better stock axles, better stock transmission, more cargo room
Grand Cherokee:
Way more reliable engine (5.2 V8), cheaper parts (thinking door lock actuators here!)

most of the components that make the rover better stock can be added to the ZJ, such as long arms, both can get lockers, at the end of the day, both need axle upgrades for heavy off road. The breakdown is this, they are both good vehicles, but both have problems, my torque converter went out on the ZJ at 130,000, I bought the rover with a blown head gasket, and its engine (thermally) requires a lot more care and attention. Lets face it, as people who like to off road, anything that comes with solid axles and made for more than the mall is our friend.

Quick Reply: Land Rover Vs. Jeep