Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Vs. Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troll, but anyways the Mk1 was built to improve on the jeep in every way. It did just that, it was the better vehicle. I'm a professional automotive technician, and I work in Beverly Hills. I see a lot of land rover products, I also see a lot of Jeep product. I will tell you reliability wise Land Rover is a cut above Jeep in every way. The only Jeep I would ever own is the XJ.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 98 TJ 4.0L, 85 90 200TDI, 89 110 19J and 01 Disco2 with 4.6L.

Maintaining 98 to be roadworthy is no comparison to maintaining LR on the road.

I just got new rebuilt 4.6L on the 01 Disco. Cost me around 9K at 150K miles. My Jeep still has original engine and still runs fine and does not leak everywhere. Literally does not leak anywhere.

I can't speak for later model LR and JKs but TJs are just cheaper to maintain and more reliable.

Jeep (Wranglers with coil springs) is just as capable as Defenders or any straight axled LRs.

IFS rovers..... I am not even going to start.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
I have a 98 TJ 4.0L, 85 90 200TDI, 89 110 19J and 01 Disco2 with 4.6L.

Maintaining 98 to be roadworthy is no comparison to maintaining LR on the road.

I just got new rebuilt 4.6L on the 01 Disco. Cost me around 9K at 150K miles. My Jeep still has original engine and still runs fine and does not leak everywhere. Literally does not leak anywhere.

I can't speak for later model LR and JKs but TJs are just cheaper to maintain and more reliable.

Jeep (Wranglers with coil springs) is just as capable as Defenders or any straight axled LRs.

IFS rovers..... I am not even going to start.

Every 4.0L straight 6 Jeep engine I've owned had leaking rear main seals, leaky PCV gromets on the valve cover, and the lovely plastic piston calipers found on both my 05 Wranglers are known for swelling and sticking. I had so many lock up I carried spare brake calipers! The 4spd Auto is delicate, horrible shifter linkage that falls apart leaving you having to zip tie it until you can replace it, and the worse bit is it's to tall geared OD. The stock steering rods are about as thick as a shower curtain rod.

I had to regear all my Modified Jeeps just to maintain 65MPH. In all my LR's keeping up with traffic isn't a problem.

I had the Jeep thing bug, and it burned when I pee'd, but I finally got some medication for that and it no longer hurts when I pee lol.

My 06 LR3 is very capable off road with it's terrain response setup and locking rear diff.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-17-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Every 4.0L straight 6 Jeep engine I've owned had leaking rear main seals, leaky PCV gromets on the valve cover, and the lovely plastic piston calipers found on both my 05 Wranglers are known for swelling and sticking. I had so many lock up I carried spare brake calipers! The 4spd Auto is delicate, horrible shifter linkage that falls apart leaving you having to zip tie it until you can replace it, and the worse bit is it's to tall geared OD. The stock steering rods are about as thick as a shower curtain rod.

I had to regear all my Modified Jeeps just to maintain 65MPH. In all my LR's keeping up with traffic isn't a problem.

I had the Jeep thing bug, and it burned when I pee'd, but I finally got some medication for that and it no longer hurts when I pee lol.

My 06 LR3 is very capable off road with it's terrain response setup and locking rear diff.
I hear you on the straight six and its problems. I have a rear main seal replacement guide on my website. Just add .com on my ID.

A lot of times people don't take time installing the rear main seal correctly. I did mine about a number of years ago and it hasn't leaked. But I have to argue all my Defenders and Disco2 leak basically every fluid. Not just the engine oil...

You can't compare 6cyl to 8cyl.

If you are comparing LR3 to Disco2 or prior LRs then you haven't seen the pinaccle of QC from Rovers.

I am not biased. I just happened to own them because I love them and actually do work on them meaning I actually do work on them. 200TDI block overbored for swap 19J on 110.

Having said that, I just replaced power steering pump on my Disco last week. It is leaking already at the pump. LOL.

​​​​​​I have ARB locker on my TJ on Super 44. Traction control?? Defender has no traction control. It has a skinny pedal and two other pedals. It does marvelously. I don't wheel it hard but I don't hold back either because of the tree limps.

Last edited by DailyDrivenTJ; 01-17-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Sounds like I lobbed a hand grenade into the mix. I am comparing stock with stock, totally unmodified. I drove a new Grands Cherokee demonstrator, to me it was like a boat in a rough sea without an engine, it rolled around like a drunk. As for the Wrangler, I like them but as a summer toy only.

What I cannot understand is the avid defence of the Jeep vs the LR D2 (no contest really, read the international trade press) when the majority of members on here own and run D2's, strange one eh

Old 01-18-2017, 06:32 AM

Land Rover's are only more $$$$ if you don't have a clue what you're doing or if you don't know where to buy your parts.

I spent much more $$$$ on keeping my 05 Wranglers on the road and Jeep has a horrific warranty department, and they DO NOT stand behind their product.

You can't ever make a Jeep beat a LR in my mind sorry. I've been there done that and the new wave of Jeep owners make me sick to my stomach..
Amen, I wholeheartedly agree

Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Stock vs Stock the only Jeep that was better off the showroom floor was the 03-06 Wrangler Rubicon due to it's Transfer Case, 4.10 gears, and F/R lockers, but by that time the D90 was no longer being imported so Jeep honestly had no real competition. D90 went bye bye in 97 and boom the TJ was released in 97.

The 4.0L is a great engine but 05-06 models with that delicate OPDA makes it not a good year to own. 03-04 would be ideal as you could get a Rubicon or LJ and avoid the OPDA issues. The 4spd wasn't geared right and it fought itself on anything but flat ground.

Jeeps to me are a dime a dozen now and even though I owned 5 they never had a true personality. Land Rovers aren't perfect by any means but they have class, character, lovely body lines, and I just have a passion for them. I like driving down the road in my Kalahari as I seriously doubt I'll see another one out on the road and if I do we'll probably both flag each other down & stop n talk or grab something to eat, swap numbers and go about our business. Something you won't find Jeep owners doing these days!

Old 01-18-2017, 05:40 PM

It's similar here. I drive a stock LHD Vienna green D2 TD5 ES and although there are many D1's and early D2's and a few LR3's and 4's around the locals still stare at my D2 facelift version, why, I don't know, it's not a tidy or pretty looking truck, it's invariably muddy or dirty but the looks I get you would think it's from Mars.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Stock vs Stock the only Jeep that was better off the showroom floor was the 03-06 Wrangler Rubicon due to it's Transfer Case, 4.10 gears, and F/R lockers, but by that time the D90 was no longer being imported so Jeep honestly had no real competition. D90 went bye bye in 97 and boom the TJ was released in 97.

The 4.0L is a great engine but 05-06 models with that delicate OPDA makes it not a good year to own. 03-04 would be ideal as you could get a Rubicon or LJ and avoid the OPDA issues. The 4spd wasn't geared right and it fought itself on anything but flat ground.

Jeeps to me are a dime a dozen now and even though I owned 5 they never had a true personality. Land Rovers aren't perfect by any means but they have class, character, lovely body lines, and I just have a passion for them. I like driving down the road in my Kalahari as I seriously doubt I'll see another one out on the road and if I do we'll probably both flag each other down & stop n talk or grab something to eat, swap numbers and go about our business. Something you won't find Jeep owners doing these days!
LOL. I feel like I am being preached to the bone but I am a part of the church choir. I own 3 rovers.

Rover 110, Discovery 2, 42 years of combined age.

85 Rover 90 and 89 110. Both are RHD.

I love cars of all kinds and I don't discriminate.

My Japanese fetish. Combined total milege is 55K miles with combined age of 37 years.

Jeeps and Rovers are the last companies on earth that stuck to offroadability instead of creating vertically stretched sedans to make it look rugged.

I am pretty obssesed with Rovers. At least these old ones that addes up to be 58 years old. I am not much of a fan for the newer Rovers. Rovers I own aren't anything you would experience in newer rovers. No comparison there. IMO, they aren't even remotely related other than the brand name.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
LOL. I feel like I am being preached to the bone but I am a part of the church choir. I own 3 rovers.
I think I have seen you around town or around MSFT campus

Quick Reply: Land Rover Vs. Jeep