Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
the only time this would matter is when it ices over- led's do not produce alot of heat like their counterparts.
For what it's worth, the stock bulbs don't produce much heat, either. The rear markers are 5W bulbs, and when my rear gets iced over from driving for hours on end in blowing snow, they're just as covered as my brake lenses are.

Capped up, there definitely are regulations that are covered in the FMVSS, which is why I switched to the LED brake light bulbs that I did. They're quite a bit brighter than the stock 10w bulb, and they have a rise time of near 0ms, where the incandescent bulb has a rise time approaching 300ms.

That might not seem meaningful on it's face, however at 70MPH, an decrease of 300ms in reaction time buys you 30 feet.

That's two car lengths.

It's worth the cost to buy the right bulbs for the task, especially in this city.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Racer!! That bulb list is exactly what I needed to know!

Now, to start buying all of those 2 pieces at a time.

The following users liked this post:
Racer X (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Here's what I'm using on my truck:

Brake lights - 14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower, Red, 1156

Reverse lights - 14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower, White, 1156

CHMSL - 7 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower, Red, 1156

Fender mount turn signal repeaters, and amber parking lights - 7 Watt Osram, Amber

Glove box, dome lights, and license plate lights - SYLVANIA 6418 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1)

City Lights (the one in the headlight housings) - SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1)

None of these bulbs are especially cheap, but they last a long time, and do a spectacular job of lighting the housing they're in.

On the brake and reverse lights:

You could probably go with the much brighter 50 and 80 Watt Eagle Eye SMT Towers, but they weren't released when I initially ordered my LED's. According to the vendor, their draw isn't actually 50w or 80w, but they're enormously bright.

Also, you have to match the color of the LED with the color of the lens it will be sitting behind. Red LED behind a red lens, amber LED behind a amber lens, and so on. Faiure to adhere to this will result is some odd colors being presented when the LED illuminates.

That's a good site and an even better list of bulb configurations. THUMBS UP. I dread replacing lights with online purchases because trying to figure out what is what is such a PITA and getting the wrong ones (as I have in the past) is, well, an even bigger PITA.

Nice thing about LED's is that they should last basically forever (as long as me anyway).

My thing is reverse lights I have LED's now but they are no brighter than the original incandescent bulbs, and I have dark tinted windows. I just ordered some of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-80W-CREE-...133ae9&vxp=mtr (80 watt for 18 bucks a pair) and I'll let you know if they work or catch my truck on fire or whatever.

Charlie V

PRINTING YOUR LIST.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-16-2015 at 12:07 PM.
mattmo78 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
That's a good site and an even better list of bulb configurations. THUMBS UP. I dread replacing lights with online purchases because trying to figure out what is what is such a PITA and getting the wrong ones (as I have in the past) is, well, an even bigger PITA.

Nice thing about LED's is that they should last basically forever (as long as me anyway).

My thing is reverse lights I have LED's now but they are no brighter than the original incandescent bulbs, and I have dark tinted windows. I just ordered some of these: 2X 80W CREE HID White 1156 BA15S High Power RV camper Trailer LED Light 1141 12V | eBay (80 watt for 18 bucks a pair) and I'll let you know if they work or catch my truck on fire or whatever.

Charlie V

PRINTING YOUR LIST.
sweet! i want to see those in action before i burn my truck down too!

Old 06-22-2015, 02:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by ls1morethanyou
sweet! i want to see those in action before i burn my truck down too!
I put them in... sorry it was daytime and I a too hyper to wait for dark then take before and after shots. I have to say that they are pretty bright... sadly my truck is, um, a little taller than the average Disco and maybe leans a little forward due to the ARB bumper, so the projector portion of the bulb nicely lights my across the street neighbor's bedroom window instead of the driveway.

They are brighter and I can see much better, but my tint is a little dark to use them without rolling the window down, so it is not a perfect fix.

Id say 7 on a scale of ten for brightness and cheapness, and because they didn't burn my truck to the ground. but I still need some obnoxious floods for reverse. Back to ebay.

mattmo78 (06-24-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI: If you have a Disco 2 from 2003/2004, then you want a 1157 lamp for the brake/running lights. 1156 will be fine for the rear turn indicators, but it's a dual filament brake lamp.

I used the following for my 2003:
Side turn indicators

Rear turn indicators

It's worth noting my turn signals blink at a double rate with these two sets of lamps, but I'm fine with that.

Rear fog lights

Reverse lights(due in tomorrow)

Rear running/brake lights(due in Monday)

The rear fog lights are quite bright, same goes for both sets of turn indicators. The above lamps are sold in pairs, so they're about half the cost of the lamps Racer mentioned.

It looks like I've got some amber lights in the front housings that are out as well, so I'll probably replace them with the same ones I used for the side turn indicators.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jwigum
It's worth noting my turn signals blink at a double rate with these two sets of lamps, but I'm fine with that.
I mentioned earlier. Do law enforcement officials not object to car drivers messing with turn signal blink rates? When I lived in the UK the cops would take any reason to stop you and find something not standard with your car. Incorrect plate size. Light tints. Window tints. Beam alignment. On a motorcycle it's worse. Indicator lamp size too small? Have a ticket.

I'm surprised if in the U.S. It's legal to alter the manufacturers set blink rate. Which will have guide lines from other places.

Otherwise it's a free for all on what a turn signal actually is.

Having said that I disagree with red turn signals over yellow ones, cos I don't think they stand out enough.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Meddling kids. ....

I'm all for finding better bulbs, but what are the actual rules of the matter? Is it a state by state thing?

Last edited by cappedup; 08-28-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by cappedup
I mentioned earlier. Do law enforcement officials not object to car drivers messing with turn signal blink rates? When I lived in the UK the cops would take any reason to stop you and find something not standard with your car. Incorrect plate size. Light tints. Window tints. Beam alignment. On a motorcycle it's worse. Indicator lamp size too small? Have a ticket.

I'm surprised if in the U.S. It's legal to alter the manufacturers set blink rate. Which will have guide lines from other places.

Having said that I disagree with red turn signals over yellow ones, cos I don't think they stand out enough.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Meddling kids. ....

I'm all for finding better bulbs, but what are the actual rules of the matter? Is it a state by state thing?
I know some states specify a flashing rate, but they are not all the same. Texas just says they have to flash. No mention of rate. But there is a reference in the transportation code to federal standards. I just don't know what the federal are.

I'm glad you asked because I just learned that I can have four headlights! Hahaa. MO light MO better!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cappedup

Maybe I'm getting old.

Meddling kids. ....

Here in California, there doesn't seem to be any mention of a required blink rate for turn signals. If someone has a reference indicating otherwise, it's a simple resistor install to fix As always, check your local vehicle code before doing anything. ever. cause rules.

I really wish they'd crack down on side window tinting, as I'm getting really sick of not being able to see other drivers. I like amber turn signals, as it's impossible to confuse them with brake lights.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

My only problem with the faster flash rate is that it's designed to flash faster when there's a lesser load. Like when a bulb is out. So if a cop is behind you and sees your hyperactive blinker, you very well could get pulled over thinking your front blinker is out. Why risk the hassle. And also with brighter blinkers, make sure they aren't too bright as to distract other drivers into forgetting how to drive. Ah bright light, swerve, crash. It happens lol