Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow or Walker Y-Pipe/Cats bolt right up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Magnaflow or Walker Y-Pipe/Cats bolt right up?

If it isn't one thing it has been another!

Left cat has gone bad and rattling like crazy. I banged it and sure enough it has definitely broken lose inside. I then banged on the right one and it seems to be rattling some too. Took it to a local muffler guy that has historically been trustworthy and he confirmed my diagnosis. He said if the right isn't as bad as the left, he thinks it will be soon. Offered to weld in some aftermarket generic cats. The left for $250 or both for around $400.

Issue is, I can get a complete Y-Pipe from either Magnaflow or Walker for $450-$600. All is new and a lifetime warranty.

After all I have spent, I don't have the funds to replace the Y-Pipe/Cats AND the Cat Back

I can't seem to confirm that either the Magnaflow or Walker Y-Pipe will match and bolt up perfectly to the existing stock exhaust system.

Can someone confirm I can just bolt on either of these?
Is Magnaflow or Walker recommended?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...odel/discovery
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wl...odel/discovery

Any other items I should buy to have on hand for the install? (Gaskets, bolts, nuts, hanger bushings, etc)

Thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Both of those kits look complete with everything you need. If not, all local part stores will have everything you need, be it exhaust clamps or reducers, extra pipe etc etc.

The following users liked this post:
cybercop (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by bmeier
Both of those kits look complete with everything you need. If not, all local part stores will have everything you need, be it exhaust clamps or reducers, extra pipe etc etc.
So they should mate up/align with the current system no problem?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Looks like it, just for peace of mind I personally would give customer/part service a call to verify. I bought one of those magnaflow kits once from summit for a a chevy I had and it had everything I needed plus a few spare bolts & nuts.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you in a CARB compliant state (NY or CA)?

If so, the CARB compliant Magnaflow is your best bet. If not, get two CATCO 6905 universal cats.

I already have a CATCO 6905 on my left bank, and I have a second for my right bank when it decides to go. I ordered the second one right before the CARB rules went into effect in NYS.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the magnaflow and it bolted up without issue.

The following users liked this post:
cybercop (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Not in a CARB state. I can't afford to live in those states.

I don't have the ability to weld, so I would have to pay someone to weld the CATCOs.

At $60 a piece, that's $120 plus about $30 shipping. That $150. Then I will have to pay about $150 to have someone weld them on. Now I am up to $300 with some old pipes connecting everything together.

Another $200 and I have a complete new system from manifolds to cat back, a limited lifetime warranty, (CATCOs only have 50k mile warranty).

Is my logic missing something?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess I didn't take into account you getting raked over the coals with the labor rate.

I live in NYC (where the labor rates aren't exactly discount) and I got mine installed for a Grant ($50).

That said, it's your call what direction you go, just giving you some more options.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Racer X
I guess I didn't take into account you getting raked over the coals with the labor rate.

I live in NYC (where the labor rates aren't exactly discount) and I got mine installed for a Grant ($50).

That said, it's your call what direction you go, just giving you some more options.
Holly Smokes! Now I feel like I am getting fubared over! I could probably talk the guy into coming down a little bit, but 1/3rd.

Being someone that doesn't know crap about welding, how long should it take them to take off the system, cut out old cats, weld in new cats, and then mount back up? I would think a hour at least?

Wait a minute, I just thought about that as I typed it. Take the dang things out myself and put back in myself. Now he is only charging for about 15 minutes labor.

Nevermind

Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Longer than an hour.Maybe like 2 to 3. I had a shop do headers, hi flow cats & muffs, and all the pipe fab plus tips and it took 4 hours on my old truck,

Quick Reply: Magnaflow or Walker Y-Pipe/Cats bolt right up?