Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfires after carwash

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default misfires after carwash

Today I skipped out on work, and went to the car wash... got the full package, undercarriage and they use lots of pressure there... anyways soon as I left and pulled out on the road, my service engine soon light flashed a number of times and became steady... I pulled into the gas station turned it off for a minute to gather my thoughts... I started it back up, ran a little rough for a1/2 mile or so to the part store and by the time I got there it was running normal. They read the codes... I dont recall what the codes were, but he said multiple misfires, on cylinder 5 and 7. He couldn't clear the codes, but allowed me to clear them to see if they still existed, low and behold, they were gone. Ive driven aroud a while and no light, no running rough, im just wondering is there anything I should look for under the hood? avoid that car wash or something? wires are magnacores 9mm about 3 months old, plugs are the Bosch+4's a little older than the wires, so i would hope its not either of those couple items... anyways any advice, or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Discovery_Scott
Today I skipped out on work, and went to the car wash... got the full package, undercarriage and they use lots of pressure there... anyways soon as I left and pulled out on the road, my service engine soon light flashed a number of times and became steady... I pulled into the gas station turned it off for a minute to gather my thoughts... I started it back up, ran a little rough for a1/2 mile or so to the part store and by the time I got there it was running normal. They read the codes... I dont recall what the codes were, but he said multiple misfires, on cylinder 5 and 7. He couldn't clear the codes, but allowed me to clear them to see if they still existed, low and behold, they were gone. Ive driven aroud a while and no light, no running rough, im just wondering is there anything I should look for under the hood? avoid that car wash or something? wires are magnacores 9mm about 3 months old, plugs are the Bosch+4's a little older than the wires, so i would hope its not either of those couple items... anyways any advice, or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
Same things happens to mine after I wash my engine bay. Usually just means you have an edgy plug or your wires not be 100% seated. Nothing too major too worry about, but double check plugs and wires to make sure everything is snug.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Same thing that happens to me after some water crossings. No worries, clear the codes and you'll be fine.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Who and how old are your plug wires? If cheap or old wires this is most likely your problem.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, as i mentioned, my wires are magnacore 9mm red wires (less than 3 months old), plugs are a little older, but are the +4's you recommend in the 60k maintenance

Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

be sure to check the coil side of the wires as well

Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey buddy, sorry to hear of your troubles:-( when you replaced your wires did you apply any di-electric grease to the boots on both sides? Also one thing you could do is go there you electrical connections and fill all of them with the grease it helps to keep water and moisture out. O2 and any other connection you can access. Your getting the response from all of us that you will be okay so that should be reassuring to you. Good luck and start lubricating everything up as with your awesome high miles any lube that was there is probably dried up.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have any codes, if so what are the numbers?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You will have this trouble in humid air and hard rains.
You probably have a cracked sparkplug boot..

Get a hair dryer and an extension cord.

Put it on high heat.

Dry off all the plug boots..

Clear all the codes.

Then at night - open the hood when it is very very dark.
and look for sparks.

But, the codes - #5 and #7 mean that those two boots on the wires
are probably cracked.
Or the wires got burned.
Just reroute the wires for now and made sure the wires are on the standoff's on the valve covers.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this problem, in my case it was the wires from the wiring harness that plug into coil pack