Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More stereo drama...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Default More stereo drama...

Well, its a problem of my own making.

I found a nice, cheap HighLine stereo on FleaBay, turned up today.

I'd checked under my drivers seat and thought I saw an amp, so thought I was good to go. But no, what I saw was a Bosch Transmission Controller. (what is that anyway?)

So, I hook the HighLine up anyway, and it plays, and works great, BUT is micro quiet, due to not having an amp.

So, whats the options? Where would I check to see if I have the wiring fitted for an amp to drive this thing? I obviously don't have a HK set up. I have tweeters in the door posts, and one speaker in each door.

I'm guessing all the harnesses fitted at the factory would be the same, and the options determined what was plugged into them. Am I right in saying that?

I see amps for sale cheap enough, but whats involved to wire one in? Cant be plug and play, can it?

Thanks all.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Not exactly sure, but without an amp, the wiring from the head unit most likely goes straight to the speakers. If this is so, your options may be limited to getting an exact head unit that came factory or getting an aftermarket single din head unit. The factory head unit came with amp built in and the high-line did not, henceforth your high line is outputting line-level output. In order for your high line to work, you would need an amp(4 channel) and install under the passenger seat(assuming you do not have cdchanger) and run speaker wires from the head unit to the amp, then from amp back to the dash and hook up to the factory speaker wires.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
In order for your high line to work, you would need an amp(4 channel) and install under the passenger seat(assuming you do not have cdchanger) and run speaker wires from the head unit to the amp, then from amp back to the dash and hook up to the factory speaker wires.
Correct, no CD changer.

So we are saying that the wiring is unlikely to exist for the amp under the drivers seat, which runs to the head unit? Hence the need to wire the amp back into the speaker loom.

In that case, I could go with any aftermarket amp? As long as its the right spec. Do we happen to know what the HighLine plus 4 door speakers needs? Maybe I can look at a bass sub for the back while im there.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The high line system utilizes a 5 channel amp(front left, front right, rear left, rear right and sub) and can be found on Crutchfield and other sites. Or you could get a 4 channel amp for speakers and a mono bloc amp for the sub. 5-channel amp would be simpler. If you do not have sub in rear door, then you would need to run the speaker wires to the sub yourself. Not impossible, I utilized the factory amp and then added a 10" sub(low profile Pioneer enclosure) powered by separate mono bloc amp under passenger seat(removed the cd changer). You will need to run a 6-8 gauge wire from battery or power block in the engine fuse box(this is how I did mine), and same gauge to ground to power the amp. If you decide to do this, I can shoot some pics and be here to help with the wiring.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I just would not go too crazy on the wattage on the amp, the speakers could probably only take 50 watts or less(per channel).

Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey Joe. I'm gonna send you a PM as I could rattle on all night.

Very much appreciate the assistance.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is the wiring diagram showing the Micro-iso fittings I spoke of on the PM.

The C1354 is the plug that the GROM will utilize.
What GROM unit do you have, need model number so I can look up to see if you need the plug to go into the head unit(it may come with it, I just don't know)

Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you have a 3 colored plug that looks like this(it will just be behind the head unit not plug in if the truck was prewired, but not used), then the blue plug is the one for the GROM,

Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954

If you have a 3 colored plug that looks like this(it will just be behind the head unit not plug in if the truck was prewired, but not used), then the blue plug is the one for the GROM,
Cheers for the PM. Really helpful.

I should have said, the Grom is up and working. It plugs into the blue connector, only one it fits in. Its operating fine. As is the radio, it all just needs some amplification.

Will update.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup
Cheers for the PM. Really helpful.

I should have said, the Grom is up and working. It plugs into the blue connector, only one it fits in. Its operating fine. As is the radio, it all just needs some amplification.

Will update.
GROM working, great. Most amps have adjustment for head unit speaker output so noise or damage to amp should not be a concern. 5 channel amps(factory anyway) get sub signal from rear signal.

Quick Reply: More stereo drama...