Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing viscous fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing viscous fan

So I'm getting ready to disassemble my cooling system on Friday and it seems like it would be much easier if I removed the Fan. However the workshop manual specifies that I should remove it using some special tools "LRT-12-093" and "LRT-12-094" Now I'm a fan of using the right tool for the job, but these don't seem like they should be necessary.

Can this be removed using normal wrenches or am I missing something that is going to bite me when I go in there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Removing viscous fan

You don't need the tools. I had to do it a few months ago. My water pumped failed and caused the viscous drive to seize. What you have to do is put a vice grip on it so that it will hit the alternator and stop it from moving. Mine was a real PITA to get off.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

I haven't done it yet, but I hear the tools for that job are actually a time saver. some people just can't get the fan off w/ a wrench. You can apparently rent the tools from an auto parts store, I'd look into it. A couple bucks for a few hours worth of hassle.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Ideally you should use that special very narrow wrench to get in behind the fan. Some people have found other ways, it is just difficult.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is a 38mm nut n the fan. I found a crecent wrench at K-Mart that fits. $5.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Mudding

Okay, so I have a crescent wrench that fits the nut, no problem there. What did you do to keep the assembly from spinning? I tried stopping the belt, but the pulley just spins without moving the belt. I bent a screwdriver trying to jamb it between a bolt head and the pulley, and now I'm out of ideas except to get the tools.

(I've looked into the rental places and no dice)

Anyway, thanks for the help already given. I'm in the ready to re-assemble stage, I'd just love to replace that water pump since I've got the parts and got the system drained.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Read page three.
https://landroverforums.com/m_97123/tm.htm

Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Mudding

Thanks! I might try the strap wrench. I also see that my NAPA sells a chain wrench that I might be able use to hold the pulley itself.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

air chisel with a flat blade placed carefully on the nut will spin it right off... every time..

but, probably bad for the water pump bearings. Always try and do it with a fan wrench set first, i'm pretty sure one from a dodge 3.9 fits (i used the one from my old dakota.) Autozone will loan it to you for a deposit if you don't want to buy one.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Mudding

Quick Update...

Well, I had no luck with the tool from Autozone, the wrench was too large. I decided to put it back together for now without the new waterpump to see if it was still leaking. I was stuck anyway, because I was waiting for a new-style upper hose set. Anyway, back into it...

This time, I rented a different set with a 36mm wrench from Advance Auto, and the fan came off easy. Woo Hoo! Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The key is to have the right tools because, for me, there just wasn't enough room for the crescent wrench. So, if anyone else does the job, I suggest the set from Advance Auto.

Quick Reply: Removing viscous fan