Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof-Mount Light Bar - How to Route Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Roof-Mount Light Bar - How to Route Wiring

I am picking up a roof-mount light bar, similar to a Mofab, with four 6" round Hella's already mounted on Friday. The bar mounts to the rain gutters. I started planning out the install and have NO clue how to get power up to the lights?

Do I have to drill through my roof in order to run power up to them?

Light bar is similar these.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off...where did you get it! I looked for one of those forever and couldn't track one down.

You could wire up throught the factory roof rack bars, that way you wont have to drill through your roof.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe you could run the wires from the engine compartment, up behind the exterior A-pillar molding? Let us know what you figure out.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
First off...where did you get it! I looked for one of those forever and couldn't track one down.

You could wire up throught the factory roof rack bars, that way you wont have to drill through your roof.
I started watching you tube videos from the "Mud-Club". If you haven't seen these videos yet, check them out. There awesome. Anyway, after watching it got me thinking of lights bars. I searched the forums and read about Mofab. But, I couldn't find anything in the US similar to the Mofab roof mount. So, I started searching Ebay - another strike-out. I searched all of craigslist and found one about 2 hours from me. Made an offer- seller accepted a.d am picking it up tomorrow. With a set of four 6" round Hellas, wired and mounted.

Im sure once I have it in hand lull be able to figure out how to route the wires. Pics and "how-to" to follow stay tuned.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by coors
I started watching you tube videos from the "Mud-Club". If you haven't seen these videos yet, check them out. There awesome. Anyway, after watching it got me thinking of lights bars. I searched the forums and read about Mofab. But, I couldn't find anything in the US similar to the Mofab roof mount. So, I started searching Ebay - another strike-out. I searched all of craigslist and found one about 2 hours from me. Made an offer- seller accepted a.d am picking it up tomorrow. With a set of four 6" round Hellas, wired and mounted.

Im sure once I have it in hand lull be able to figure out how to route the wires. Pics and "how-to" to follow stay tuned.
You lucky son-of-a-gun!

This is UP's roof-rack lighting wire-up, but still might be helpful? --> www.discovery2.co.uk / Roof Rack Lights

Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Double post, my bad. See below

Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
You lucky son-of-a-gun!

This is UP's roof-rack lighting wire-up, but still might be helpful? --> www.discovery2.co.uk / Roof Rack Lights
Thanks for the write-up. Not eactly what I was looking for. I read this last night. Guess I gotta get out the drill and sealant. I will try to document my install and post my experience once finished.

Check on craigslist and E-bay, one will sure to pop up. I searched for probably an hour last night, for the first time ever and found one. Keep searching.

I'm not going even to tell you what I paid for this... You heated as it is. I got a steal. Let's say, I paid an equivalent to the cost of one set of the Hella's - I am getting two sets with the light bar.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by coors
....I'm not going even to tell you what I paid for this... You heated as it is. I got a steal. Let's say, I paid an equivalent to the cost of one set of the Hella's - I am getting two sets with the light bar.
Sounds like the Ferry God Rover visited you, what a deal! I ended up finding a roof rack for dirt cheap anyways, so I'm happy enough, I just have been too busy (read : Lazy) to wire up lights

Old 05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would STRONGLY argue against drilling the roof. The wiring harness I have helped with in the past have come from the engine box and thru the plastic A-Pillar exterior cover on one side only. Then off to the light bar. you will still need some good sealant but it does not involve drilling anything on or thru the roof.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by jeffh
I would STRONGLY argue against drilling the roof. The wiring harness I have helped with in the past have come from the engine box and thru the plastic A-Pillar exterior cover on one side only. Then off to the light bar. you will still need some good sealant but it does not involve drilling anything on or thru the roof.
I was being facetious I am not drilling through my roof. I will probably mount the light bar and lights this weekend (in the two minutes I have free) and take yloDiscoII's approach. Wire them up a later time.

Quick Reply: Roof-Mount Light Bar - How to Route Wiring