Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed wobble of death!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never experienced steering dampeners being the culprit for "Severe" wobble - so my guess is that you're just successfully masking the real issue for the time being. What's your total mileage? The panhard and swivel preload would have been my first guess's. Also, never ignore the possibility of something as simple as a radial belt having snapped in a tire (check both front tires closely to make sure there are no stray metal strands protruding anywhere).

Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man oh man, can you imagine if I were President?
Every Friday would be Hawaiian shirt day, everybody would have health care, we would mind our own business.
Hell, I'd turn the place into a dictatorship and I'd be the dick.
Thats why I'd vote for you.

piissst over here, little closer yeah there....The United States of America already (by law)has national health care, problem solved! Dont tell anybody I told ya, but that way you can use that time to go Wheelin at camp David in the Presidential Disco!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had it on the Disco but I have experienced it on the Jeep. It will scare the crap out of you when you relaize you cannot steer or while braking it starts and then you cannot stop. If it has gone away with the extra dampner then you are just masking the problem. A correct system does not even need a dampner if it is correct, they really just help deal with bumps in the road and make the ride smoother. It could be the radius arms, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, track bar or any other steering peice. Keep looking and find the real problem, just disconnect the dampner to help find it when pushing and pulling on parts.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How about fixing the problem instead of throwing 2 poor quality stabilizers on the truck. Is it a D1 or D2? What have you done to verify the tightness of the rest of your steering components and bushings?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm not an experienced mechanic but I had this exact problem 3 weeks before with my Jeep and my Disco 2003 with new replacement OME springs, shocks and complete EBC brake kit. With my Jeep, steering U joints were replaced and wheel balance. With the disco, just had all wheels balance and rotated. Have wheels balanced first and might save you a lot of money. Both drive smooth in any speed, bumps and breaking.
If theres a Strauss Auto center near you they give free estimates and while its up, check all the steering components and rubbers and specially the steering U joints. Cheers

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't tell what year and mileage the OP had.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I can't tell what year and mileage the OP had.
that because he has yet to bless us with that information...

Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mrcrptguy, It's my understanding and common consensus that DEATH WOBBLE is caused on D1's (if that's what you have) by worn ball swivel bearings..

Not by steering dampers

The europeans, freaks that they are, have a decent relatively quick remedy if your mechanical.

luck,greg

Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2 on what greg said.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, i never expected so many responses. The truck is a 98 d1 with 113,000 miles. Greg maby it's obvious but what is the remedy if in fact it is the swivel bearings, i have never tore down the front axle. Is the swivel bearing separate for the wheel bearing? Disco Mike, I told you not to read the entire post! I assumed that this was a deeper problem but sometimes you have to improvise especially when this is my daily driver, I fully intend to get to the cause and repair it.

As far as the linkage and components go I jacked the front end up and moved everthing with the steering wheel and by hand and i didn't feel any play anywhere. Also checked tightness of bolts on everthing involved.

Last edited by mrcrptguy; 04-07-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Speed wobble of death!!!