Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of installing a discreet winch behind stock bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking of installing a discreet winch behind stock bumper

I've been researching adding a winch withoutreplacingthe stock bumper with anew one. The reasons are, I'm not a heavy duty off roader, just more casual and I'd like to have the winch for a little peace of mind. I also like the look of my current bumper (2003 model) and I have a steel brush bar with headlight protection and my off road lights mounted there. I've been reading about mounting a behind the bumper model here: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/winch.htmland I can get the Bearmach mounting plate in the USA at:
http://www.dap-inc.com/acc/app/d2/d2...ch.shtml#winchand unless I get some bad feedback on the winch model I am leaning towards the ES 9000 T-Max model:
http://www.t-maxwinches.com/pdfs/ew_9000.pdf

While the replacement bumpers offer better approach angles and other good features I don't forsee my need for one and I'd like to save the money for other toys. The main drawback that I see with this type of set up is that the winch is pretty low so if you are stuck in mud it may be an issue to get to it.

Has anyone else gone with this type of set up?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of installing a discreet winch behind stock bumper

I have an 03 as well and I am very leaning to doing the same thing as you. Urban Panzer's write up is sweet for ref. As you said, the main drawback is it's height off the ground but I'd rather have a winch and get muddy getting at it than not have one and be in need of one. I'd like to spend my $$ on other mods too, and where i live a heavy duty bumper wont help any. Although i love the way some look!My rear bumper is another story.One day I cracked my rear bumper a little bit while backing up into a palm tree that wasnt supposed to be there..lol... so maybe i'll get the RTE DII rear bumper since that keeps a stock look.

This guy did the same
http://www.muddyoval.com/forum/viewt...e7d53b97ea0d80

Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its only certain bumpers that offer better approach angles. The big bars from like ARB actually reduce the angles over a stock bumperas they sit that much further forward to accomodate the winch. Bumpers which sit the winch back into the grille are those with better angles, but you have to destroy your grille to do it and they dont look very nice in my opinion.

You have a facelift bumper, so your angles are slightly better that the pre-facelift anyway. Im just like you, dont do "heavy" offroading in my TD5, I save that for the D1, but having a winch there for the "just in case" gives peace of mind imo.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an HD bumper if you want a winch.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, no matter what why you install a winch, you need to do a lift, otherwise you will tear the front bumper of on even the easier trails.
That style is really hard to work with when you are already stuck and because they are so low, will cause you to get stuck more often.
For the money, consider a CDL, if you don't have one and or a great set of tires, you do better and go farther when wheeling.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

yeah just like Disco Mike suggested, I plan to do a 2" lift and all related goodies before I do the "discrete" winch. A lift will help me out way more where i live and ride than a winch. My CDL kit is on the way and if you dont have it yet I would put my $ in that 1st before a winch. CDL might prevent the use of a winch.

For my 03, my priority is: Rebuild drive shaft (parts and tools on the way), CDL kit (on the way), 2" lift (future), and by that time better tires. BUT...these are only on the list now because I have fully finished Disco Mike's 60k miles service list since i have 60k and i've only owned my rig for 4 months. Preventative maintenance first, then toys.

Mods made to rigs really depend on how the owner intends to use it. It would make no since (to me) to build an awesome rig like Disco Mike's if it will never get off the pavement. IMO, mods are to customize and improve your vehicle. Some ppl though take it to the extreme and dont think about what crap they add and make their cars more dangerous and "tacky". Like adding $1500 chrome wheels and a $2000 chameleon paint job on a geo metro... =)

Seriously though... yesterday I was debating whether I should get a discrete winch set up, or a 2" lift, or a CDL kit. I could only pick one. It didnt take too long to make that decision.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, we all have our ideas and opinons of whats best, thats what makes the world go round.

I do have to disagree ref the front bumper tho, I have been offroading mine for 12 months or so and not yet damaged the front bumper, yes it is one of the first things that "does" or "can"get damaged, but its not a 100% take it offroad and yes you will rip it off.

It all depends on how you drive offroad imo. Some people are more naturally "gun ho" than others and will most likely bang things whilst off road.

if you go rock crawling on 3 foot steps and rocks etc, then its a good idea to remove it. A CDL I would agree would be the first and best investment.

REF the discrete winch, I don't seeMike's point that it will cause you to get stuck more often as its so low, it sits between the chassis rails, there is a LOT more stuff lower than that to cause you to get stuck first.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jycsalas

yeah just like Disco Mike suggested, I plan to do a 2" lift and all related goodies before I do the "discrete" winch. A lift will help me out way more where i live and ride than a winch. My CDL kit is on the way and if you dont have it yet I would put my $ in that 1st before a winch. CDL might prevent the use of a winch.

For my 03, my priority is: Rebuild drive shaft (parts and tools on the way), CDL kit (on the way), 2" lift (future), and by that time better tires. BUT...these are only on the list now because I have fully finished Disco Mike's 60k miles service list since i have 60k and i've only owned my rig for 4 months. Preventative maintenance first, then toys.

Mods made to rigs really depend on how the owner intends to use it. It would make no since (to me) to build an awesome rig like Disco Mike's if it will never get off the pavement. IMO, mods are to customize and improve your vehicle. Some ppl though take it to the extreme and dont think about what crap they add and make their cars more dangerous and "tacky". Like adding $1500 chrome wheels and a $2000 chameleon paint job on a geo metro... =)

Seriously though... yesterday I was debating whether I should get a discrete winch set up, or a 2" lift, or a CDL kit. I could only pick one. It didnt take too long to make that decision.

Ummm, what kind of CDL kit did you order for your truck? The '03 does not have a locking center diff at all, so there's no way to convert it to work. Least, that's what I've been told.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You were told wrong.

You can add the front output housing and CDL parts to ANY disco 2 transfer box. It all depends on how big ya pocket is

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/part_17.html

Old 01-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Urban Panzer, I have to agree 100% on it depending on how one drives off road. Recently I went off roading with a friend who has a 2004 G4 Discovery and he got it stuck with CDL engaged. I told him to let me give it a try and I drove his rig right out of the situation. Then I passed through the same spot in my "CDL LESS" Disco and had no issues. The car is only as good as the driver.

Personally when I drive off road I constantly try to "map" where all my wheels are as I'm going through an obstacle and try to imagine suspension articulation and the shifting of weight on each axle/wheel etc...

I'd get seriously stuck in some areas if all I did was drive.

Quick Reply: Thinking of installing a discreet winch behind stock bumper