Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 180 thermostat can I buy for the Inline Thermo Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What 180 thermostat can I buy for the Inline Thermo Mod?

So to keep my engine cool and under 200F I've decided to go ahead with the inline thermostat modification.

My question is which thermostat should I get?

I've been following the parts list in this thread.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tat-mod-32216/

However the summit racing thermostat is not available. What can I buy in its place?

I found this one on ebay.

Jet Performance Thermostat Powertech 180 Degree High Flow Stainless Steel Each | eBay

But I've read online to avoid highflow thermostats. I know I can buy a180 degree chevy t-stat at autozone but which one in particular do I need?

Also where do I need to drill holes in the thermostat and why is this necessary?

All advice is appreciated. Really want to get my temps down fast before running into other problems.

Old 07-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Old 07-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you get the Stant off amazon, it fits perfectly with the Meziere housing. They have 170, 180 and 190F.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ATLDisco
If you get the Stant off amazon, it fits perfectly with the Meziere housing. They have 170, 180 and 190F.

Okay. What about drilling the holes in the thermostat? Can someone explain that process to me?

Also would 180 be too cold? Would 185 be more reasonable?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:07 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Okay. What about drilling the holes in the thermostat? Can someone explain that process to me?
No need to, the one I linked to has a jiggle pin.

Also would 180 be too cold? Would 185 be more reasonable?
180. US made thermostats use the starting to open temp, UK use fully open temp.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you have a solid base thermostat i believe you have to drill a hole at 12.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default hole

I have tried both with and without the hole. The hole is to allow air out of the radiator for bleeding air out of the system.

I prefer no hole (what I am running now). However, when you fill the system you will have to check the expansion tank a couple of times after driving to fill for the air that works it way out. Another solution would be to put a valve on both sides of the thermostat (one more valve than the inline thermostat setup shows).

When you assemble the inline setup if you just hold the hose up and fill it, then put the thermostat and body on (closed face toward the radiator) there will be little or no air.

I don't like the drilled hole because I'm not likely to have a drill with me if/when I have to replace it and it is not part of the original design of the thermostat. The one with the little jiggly brass part mentioned above would work, too, but my parts store didn't have one.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 07-27-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Okay thank you guys. What hoses do I need? I know I need the lower radiator hose of a 330 BMW (Gates 22639), but will I need another?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
Okay thank you guys. What hoses do I need? I know I need the lower radiator hose of a 330 BMW (Gates 22639), but will I need another?
I ordered a new upper and the gates hose, but there is a catch in this operation.

I had full hose sets available from my 2000 and a 2003 (parts car).

After I pulled everything apart, I noticed that the 2000 and 2003 hoses were different. The 2000 (4.0) had a tee within the hose to go to the heater core. On the 2003 (4.6) and in the inline write-ups, there is a plastic tee that all of the hoses meet in. The 2000 had no plastic tee. So I had to do some cutting and mixing and matching to make it all work and ended up using the 2003 tee. My original --2000-- setup would not work at all.

This one has the plastic tee setup in the middle: http://www.1aauto.com/land-rover-dis...GucaAs348P8HAQ

I guess they all come that way now, because I can't find a picture of my original one. But the hoses came out of the main hose as here: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...D4P6yASqgq2wAw

So first check to see which hose setup you have. If you have the plastic 3/4 way T like my spare 03 hoses and in the writeup, you don't need anything else except the Gates hose. If you have the setup that I had on my 00 (which was a factory setup--no plastic fitting between the hoses), then you will be running back and forth to the auto store unless you have spare hoses.

I could have used all of my old hoses, but I ended up using the new upper hose that I ordered with the Gates because the original ones are WAY too large (probably stretched) for the fittings recommended in the write up. The new hoses fit snugly.

Also, I used new hose for the top/front of the engine (where it goes over the alternator) because the old one was seriously stretched and sort of floppy/soft. New hoses (from my original 2000 hoses) are a night and day improvement.

Finally, get some hose clamps. You need them to make the hoses tight on the two aluminum fittings in the write-up.

You will use your original bottom hose to make the bend from your new thermostat housing to the top of the engine.

Honestly, once you look at it, you will be able to intuit everything.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 07-27-2015 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DiscoRover007 (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 03:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I ordered a new upper and the gates hose, but there is a catch in this operation.

I had full hose sets available from my 2000 and a 2003 (parts car).

After I pulled everything apart, I noticed that the 2000 and 2003 hoses were different. The 2000 (4.0) had a tee within the hose to go to the heater core. On the 2003 (4.6) and in the inline write-ups, there is a plastic tee that all of the hoses meet in. The 2000 had no plastic tee. So I had to do some cutting and mixing and matching to make it all work and ended up using the 2003 tee. My original --2000-- setup would not work at all.

This one has the plastic tee setup in the middle: 2003 Land Rover Discovery Upper 3-Way Molded Radiator Hose for V8 4.6L at 1A Auto.com

I guess they all come that way now, because I can't find a picture of my original one. But the hoses came out of the main hose as here: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...D4P6yASqgq2wAw

So first check to see which hose setup you have. If you have the plastic 3/4 way T like my spare 03 hoses and in the writeup, you don't need anything else except the Gates hose. If you have the setup that I had on my 00 (which was a factory setup--no plastic fitting between the hoses), then you will be running back and forth to the auto store unless you have spare hoses.

I could have used all of my old hoses, but I ended up using the new upper hose that I ordered with the Gates because the original ones are WAY too large (probably stretched) for the fittings recommended in the write up. The new hoses fit snugly.

Also, I used new hose for the top/front of the engine (where it goes over the alternator) because the old one was seriously stretched and sort of floppy/soft. New hoses (from my original 2000 hoses) are a night and day improvement.

Finally, get some hose clamps. You need them to make the hoses tight on the two aluminum fittings in the write-up.

You will use your original bottom hose to make the bend from your new thermostat housing to the top of the engine.

Honestly, once you look at it, you will be able to intuit everything.
Okay great. This is really insightful. It appears I have the 03 set up. So the new bmw hose is going to go where? In place of the old bottom radiator hose? And this will connect to what?

Just wanna get all of the dumb questions out of the way so I can get it done as fast as possible. Can't exactly tell where everything goes from google images.

Quick Reply: What 180 thermostat can I buy for the Inline Thermo Mod?