General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2006 LR3 V6 Suspension lowered, HDC Fault System not available, transmission fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:34 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2006 LR3 V6 Suspension lowered, HDC Fault System not available, transmission fault

I got similar problem and need help!!! I am on my way home and don't know if it is safe to drive and also am afraid to turn the car off to make a stop. I have still more than 50 milles to drive. While Driving, I suddenly got dashboard message of suspension lowered, HDC fault system not available, transmission fault and orange brake light. No lights are flashing. When I push the suspension button it makes sound but don't change anything and there is no light on the button. car remains in lower position. Car drives normally and nothing funny is going on, except these symbols. SO, I don't know if it is safe to drive? Today is Sunday and everything is closed. I noticed a while ago that back brake light was not working, so I replaced the bulb because I thought it was burned. But it keeps not working. Sometimes it works though when I push the break. Also, couple days ago something strange has happened. While starting to drive, I tried to accelerate and pushed gas, but the car didn't want to accelerate. It was getting high 5000 r/min and didn't want to accelerate, so I switched to manual and went to 3 M/S. it helped and the car started driving regularly and symptom went away, but I am just thinking considering what has happened today, that it was maybe a start to something else. Please help me! What to do? Drive or rather call towing? Again, car is driving fine at least for now, but these working lights are scary! Thanks!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You can drive it, but once you get it home plan and just parking it.
How many miles are on it?
When was the last time you had the transmission serviced?
Is it the original battery?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM
5th Gear

Thank you for the response. The reason was the brake switch. It was replaced today. Car is working fine now and no more error messages!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The parking brake or the foot brake?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM
5th Gear

not brake, Brake switch under the wheel

Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 PM
3rd Gear
Angry

Originally Posted by Arth111
I got similar problem and need help!!! I am on my way home and don't know if it is safe to drive and also am afraid to turn the car off to make a stop. I have still more than 50 milles to drive. While Driving, I suddenly got dashboard message of suspension lowered, HDC fault system not available, transmission fault and orange brake light. No lights are flashing. When I push the suspension button it makes sound but don't change anything and there is no light on the button. car remains in lower position. Car drives normally and nothing funny is going on, except these symbols. SO, I don't know if it is safe to drive? Today is Sunday and everything is closed. I noticed a while ago that back brake light was not working, so I replaced the bulb because I thought it was burned. But it keeps not working. Sometimes it works though when I push the break. Also, couple days ago something strange has happened. While starting to drive, I tried to accelerate and pushed gas, but the car didn't want to accelerate. It was getting high 5000 r/min and didn't want to accelerate, so I switched to manual and went to 3 M/S. it helped and the car started driving regularly and symptom went away, but I am just thinking considering what has happened today, that it was maybe a start to something else. Please help me! What to do? Drive or rather call towing? Again, car is driving fine at least for now, but these working lights are scary! Thanks!
Im having the same issue i did everything still nothing....
changed the break switch... nothing
light bulbs from Oreillys working just fine...
battery used but fully charged good amp...
the electric break (hand break) was working, but once i removed it to clean it up, boy that to stopped wirking...
no computer communication, cant even clear the codes
there is a Christmas party inside my cluster ( i have never seen so many lights)
what else is left for me before i start to cry
PLEASE HELP?
I do love her 2006 Lr3 83k

The following users liked this post:
EthanTucker (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue here

I am having what seems to be the exact same problem. Xmas tree of lights on my panel, only access hight available, hdc fault, transmission fault, low traction, and what seems to be every single warning light. I recently changed the rear upper control arms very successfully, no issues. I tripple checked everything, battery is 1 year old, tested it, was good. Any ideas?

Old 06-22-2019, 09:53 PM
4th Gear

Hey guys! I've been having the same issue myself FOREVER! I have not completely solved it yet myself, BUT I have managed to work a few things out along the way that have allowed me to isolate a few things. You may not find yourselves in this same position, but it's worth a try to see if it helps:

1. I've determined that the complete and total heart attack only occurs when my lights are turned on! If my lights aren't turned on, I can drive it and it shifts just fine. If I turn my lights on, then after a little while I can always count on the Cluster Stroke of Errors to come fast and furious! They come right after the other and while it's not the exact same every time, it's usually some combination of the following:

HDC Fault System Not Available
Cruise Control Not Permitted
Transmission Fault (or)
Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available
System Fault Special Programs Not Available
Special Programs Off
Suspension Lowered

Usually what follows is that my shift display goes away and sometimes it won't shift automatically, or it'll give me just one gear.

If I pull over and turn the car off and the lights off and wait for a minute, I can start the car up just fine.

Then BEFORE I turn the lights on, I put the car into gear and switch to Manual Shift Mode (where you can upshift and downshift with the stick)

Then I'll turn my lights on and the can freak out all it wants, I can shift just fine and drive it as far as I need to.

2. One of the first things I would suggest is if you have tested your battery and are sure it's at full strength, then do a Hard Reset on the car to clear everything out of the system. One of the awesome members of the forum named "bbyer" posted a full how to on the Hard Reset, so I'll paste it here for you to try:

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition.This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed.(I find that it is often a good idea to have the drivers door window rolled down and the key in my pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)Also when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.)

Connect the negative cable to the positive cable. (NOT the battery.) You will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative batterycables for the ends to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere.Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put thebattery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.
Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully none or at least fewer warning lights.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased.Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. http://bit.ly/14WXXR1

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.
Disco3club - Login

3. After you've done the Hard Reset, replace the Brake Light Switch, and replace all the Tail Lights with OEM Land Rover Tail Light Bulbs - that same guy BBYER gave an awesome explanation on one of the threads about the reasoning for it and the LR3 not being sophisticated enough to report all the problems accurately, but it does recognize that it's sensing something out of place and so it throws crazy combinations of errors to tell you there's a problem, but the errors it gives are usually not the problem. So better to start eliminating things that are cheap and easy.

After these suggestions, if the codes have been cleared, you've switched out the staples and determined if maybe it's only happening when the lights are on or not, then if it throws a bunch more codes, grab them and talk to a Dealer if possible

Like I said, I'm not completely solved of all my problems either, but I may be a few steps ahead of where y'all are - so thought I'd share where I am and see if it helps.

Best of luck!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 PM
4th Gear

Here's the other thread that I was referencing:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...m-fault-46701/

Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

I would be checking all your ground points. Including the one in the passenger side fender well. Also be sure to pull the connection on the transfer case control module clean it add a dab of dielectric grease and reinstall.

i really don't think the bulbs are as important as some seem to think. Heck I accidentally installed a turn signal bulb in my brake light spot while I was on the trail and it was apart from not working for 500 miles

Quick Reply: 2006 LR3 V6 Suspension lowered, HDC Fault System not available, transmission fault