LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Fuel Grade for the LR2

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Grade for the LR2

Need some guidance on the fuel grade touse on a new 2008 LR2 HSE.

The manual says to use Premium Grade Fuel (91 Octane) but does say you can use 87.

My question is has anyone been using 87 or 89 for a period of time and not had any issues? I would like to use regular gas but only as long as I will not be regretting it later on in terms of fuel efficiency and/or engine knocking.

Please Help!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Overlanding
Default RE: Fuel Grade for the LR2

I've been running mine on 87 Since I bought it in May 2007 with zero problems. I've only put one tank of 91 in and got bad gas mileage.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
4wd Low

87 octane since day one, currently averaging 21.2MPG mixed city/highway. That's sweet compared to the 16MPG I get in my XTerra.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

umm, from a rover owner with decient knowlage, you should be putting ATLEST 91 (i put 93 in mine). The cylnders run hotter in rovers and need the extra boost for some reason i cant explain. you can run 87, but you shouldent run it long (ie a full tank every few mounths). You mostlikley wont feel the effects of it now, but in about 20k miles you will start having problems (leaking head gaskets), then after 50-70k you can see large problems costing in the $1000's.
YOU HAVE TO PUT ATLEST 91 OCTANE, CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES!!!! i know land rover recomends 7.5k but thats the minnimum, you CAN NOT do the minimun with these trucks if you want them to last over 50k. WHEN LAND ROVER SAYS SOMTHING, THEY MEAN IT, AND DO BETTER THEN WHAT THEY SAY, that just how it goes.

when people start "cutting corners" like this, you get the "LAND ROVER SUCKS, NO RELIABITLY" going. there IS reliability in these trucks, you just have to do better them the recomndations change oil2 times every time they say 1, and USE 91 OCTANE NO MATTER WHAT!

Old 09-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

the reason you had worse milage with the 91 jenin is due to the switch, if you had kept it for a few tanks it would have gone back to normal, but your engine was adapting to the new fuel and in doing this youll get poor milage

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
3rd Gear
Default Clarity.

Originally Posted by snowdude
umm, from a rover owner with decient knowlage, you should be putting ATLEST 91 (i put 93 in mine). The cylnders run hotter in rovers and need the extra boost for some reason i cant explain. you can run 87, but you shouldent run it long (ie a full tank every few mounths). You mostlikley wont feel the effects of it now, but in about 20k miles you will start having problems (leaking head gaskets), then after 50-70k you can see large problems costing in the $1000's.
YOU HAVE TO PUT ATLEST 91 OCTANE, CHANGE YOUR OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES!!!! i know land rover recomends 7.5k but thats the minnimum, you CAN NOT do the minimun with these trucks if you want them to last over 50k. WHEN LAND ROVER SAYS SOMTHING, THEY MEAN IT, AND DO BETTER THEN WHAT THEY SAY, that just how it goes.

when people start "cutting corners" like this, you get the "LAND ROVER SUCKS, NO RELIABITLY" going. there IS reliability in these trucks, you just have to do better them the recomndations change oil2 times every time they say 1, and USE 91 OCTANE NO MATTER WHAT!
Snowdude...do you have an LR2? As in, are you speaking from your personal experince as an LR2 owner? or just speaking in general Land rover terms? I am fairly cautious about such advice, considering the broad range of octane rating systems world-wide. My experience, with broad range tolerances in user manuals, (87- 91 for the LR2) accounts for travel in places which do not always have premium. I am guessing 87 RON in North America will get you by without destroying your engine, or they would not put that in the manual as a minumum rating, and certainly not void your warranty. My last motorcycle was a BMW which a broad range of tolerances for octane ratings, as they as well, are designed for global travel in far away places, not just grocery-getting in the suburbs.

Here is an article that hopefully will clarify this for all...it did for me.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4102182/

Last edited by rightcoast; 03-11-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more information.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Overlanding

Oil change every 6k if you're running on full synthetic. There is absolutely no reason to change the oil every 3,000 miles....I'm a technician.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Just use what is recommended! Or you'll be complaining about it being unreliable and all because you decided to fill it with 87 on a regular basis where it should be 91.

87 is "OK" if you are in the backwood and then its meant to get you to a station with 91. You can't expect the performance if your engine computer is constantly adjusting.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Alexandru
Oil change every 6k if you're running on full synthetic. There is absolutely no reason to change the oil every 3,000 miles....I'm a technician.
6k miles? Even the dealer sets it at 7500 miles with a blended oil. I go 10k on full synthetic in every car I own. Never had a problem.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aaron svendsen
6k miles? Even the dealer sets it at 7500 miles with a blended oil. I go 10k on full synthetic in every car I own. Never had a problem.
Unless your engine is running really rich and hot you shouldn't need to change it too often. 7500 miles is probably good with more highway driving. 100 % city driving and short trips, then maybe 3000 miles is needed.

Quick Reply: Fuel Grade for the LR2