LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add the navigation system to my LR3

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there....I installed a Magellan 1700 in the cubby hole for my lr2..and it looks just like factory install..I have attached the pics...take a look..might work for the lr3 as well..Nav has independent voice..which I am fine with...whole thing cost me less than 350 including installation charges!! Happy with it

Attached Thumbnails  Can I add the navigation system to my LR3-2011-07-16_18-46-19_16.jpg    Can I add the navigation system to my LR3-2011-07-16_17-54-41_442.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanting to kick this thread free.
I have a Garmin Montana from my other platforms and want to install in my LR3. The Montana is extremely convertible and transportable with its easy disconnect powered mount bracket. The cubby space is large enough for the Montana but I'm a little reluctant to use that space for this and was thinking of a bracket extending above the LH dash vent. Will need to take into account the slight weight of the unit and connectivity of power and sound ideally for the turn by turn aspect.
The pictures in the start of the thread has helped giving me a look at what's behind the dash but are missing some details like having the dash vent installed without the trim piece.
I don't like just splicing into any old 12V power source even with a fusible link so some direction in that area would help.

Thanks
Jer

Old 10-10-2014, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear
Default Bump

Does installing the navigation unit also make the various 4wd modes appear on the screen?

Old 12-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Resurrecting this thread again.

Any decent options for a screen to be added to an LR3 without one? It seems I could get the factory screen and wiring from a scrapped LR3, but I'm not sure I'd want it (better nav from my phone).

What I'd really like is something like a tablet that will mirror the GPS from my phone. Anybody know of anything? Maybe just look for a tablet that fits the space?

Any real advantage to having the LR Nav system vs. something else?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 AM
1st Gear
Default 2005 lr3

Hi I know this is long time ago but I'm doing what you did on 2008 and my problem is getting the right harness how did you find the part number to replace the harness?
I try the dealer but they don't help.
Thank you
Alejandro

Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I added an aftermarket that fit perfectly in the cubby which I bought as a refurb from Fry's for about $100. Works really well and is updated regularly for free. I also plan to add a wireless back up camera in the near future.

One thing on the iPhone GPS - I find an actual GPS to be far more reliable for navigation - especially around here in the Pacific Northwest.

Can I add the navigation system to my LR3-img_3053.jpg

Old 09-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airstream345
I added an aftermarket that fit perfectly in the cubby which I bought as a refurb from Fry's for about $100. Works really well and is updated regularly for free. I also plan to add a wireless back up camera in the near future.

One thing on the iPhone GPS - I find an actual GPS to be far more reliable for navigation - especially around here in the Pacific Northwest.

Attachment 27253
Can you share the details?

For now my 5.5" phone sits in there pretty well. My preference at this point would be to add in a tablet that fits well rather than a dedicated nav device. Far more utility to do other things with it and I typically use Waze or Google Maps for navigation. I'd have to figure out how to either get a nav antenna connected or share connectivity from my phone, which would work but perhaps be a pain.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, it's a Garmin Nuvi 65 LM. I bought mine from Fry's Electronics as a refurb - sort of on a whim actually as I was there for something else and just happen notice the GPS's size and thought "hey this looks like it'll fit right into the cubby on the LR3". I unboxed it in the parking lot, popped it in and viola! It fit perfectly.

They also offer a LMT version which has traffic data and re-routing.

Garmin nuvi 65LM 6" GPS Navigator with Free Lifetime Map Updates - Walmart.com

Garmin nuvi 65LMT 6" GPS Navigator with Free Lifetime Map and Traffic Updates - Walmart.com

The GPS just slides in and sits within the cubby. I eventually plan drill a hole and re-route the power cable behind the dash, etc but it's working as is.

Next step is to add the wireless back up camera to make back-in and parallel parking around the city a little easier.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod501486.html

For me this was a a good cheap way to add reliable GPS to the LR. We were using iPhones but out here when you get into the Cascades or the more remote areas or islands of the PNW cell coverage can get pretty spotty.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Default Is anyone still following this?

Hi, I am looking to add the factory unit to my LR3 and I noticed that the pics are missing from the original posts. Does anyone happen to have them saved or a link to them. Any ideas of what this might cost?

Thanks, Ryan

Old 03-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rhodesrt@gmail.com
Hi, I am looking to add the factory unit to my LR3 and I noticed that the pics are missing from the original posts. Does anyone happen to have them saved or a link to them. Any ideas of what this might cost?

Thanks, Ryan
Do a search on DISCO3.CO.UK - Index

you'll find even better information there.

Quick Reply: Can I add the navigation system to my LR3