LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 tires; yes, again

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LR4 tires; yes, again

So I finally bought an LR4. Took deliver last month of a beautiful 2011 HSE. It came with Toyo Proxes ST II. They were quiet and smooth but I can tell looking at the tread that they would suck in the winter being they had no sipping at all. I live in PA. If last winter is any sign of things to come, I need at least a good dependable all season up here.

After much research, I noticed that the tire selection for 255/55/19 sucks big time. Out of the only tires I found, the Bridgstone Dueler Alenza Plus was the most recomended at Tire Rack. So I bought a set. Now the LR4 rides like I'm driving over a wash board. The Alenza's are complelety incapable of absorbing the small road imperfections that can ruin an otherwise great drive.

So, as much as I hate wasting money, I don't think I'm going to keep the Alenzas much longer before they drive me insane. ANYONE have any advice on tires you are currently using that work well year around and don't ruin the ride on the LR4?

Here are other tires I've considered and what my research indicated about them:

1. OEM Contis 4x4: Useless in general. Poor winter traction, ridiculusly short life span
2. Kumho Solus KL21: Bad wet and winter grip, too soft, wear out too quickly
3. Duler Alenza: Harsh ride, not impressed with winter traction
4. Scorpion Verde All Season: Read several claims that is a very loud tire as it wears down

I think Michelin makes the Latitued Tour HP and I read mixed reviews on it, nothing set in stone. Anyone using it can chime in? Also I'm aware that the Zeon LTZ comes in our size but read several reviews saying it was useless in the winter. Again, anyone using it cares to chime in?

Old 12-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Winching

So either most people have given up on finding a good tire for the 19" wheel or no one is happy with their current tire choice?

UPDATE:

Not only are my current Dueler Alenza Plus driving me insane with how harsh the ride is now, but to add insult to injury during the slight snow dusting we got last week (about 1/2") was enough to make the LR4 slip and slide everywhere like I was on skates. So they are also useless in the winter. I had gotten used to driving on GY SIlent Armors in my 2 previous LR3s which handle the winter almst like a dedicated witer tire that it now feels down right dangerous to go around driving on the Dueler Alenzas.

The contis are comfortable but too soft, most peole reporting the tires only last around 25k miles. A quick look at the UTQG rating of 360 comfirms that they are simply too soft for the LR4. So once again after much reconsideration, it would seem the only viable choices for people living north of the snow belt are the Scorpion Verde or the Michelin Latitud Tour HP. After hearing more than a few people complain that the Scorpion Verdes get annoyingly loud after they beging to wear down a bit, I think I'm going to buy a set of Michelin Latitud. Still waiting for anyone currently using them to chime in before I spend another $1,200 on tires I'm going to hate afterwards.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine came with a set of 20" Goodyear Eagles. They were gone by 23K miles and I put on the original factory installed Continentals 4X4 on the original rims ( PO had thrown them in and was getting rid of Rover because he needed new tires?) I have 10K miles which has been on dry, very wet and snow and icy roads, with some off-road (farm lanes ) with no problems. As far as ride, Rovers are not the smoothest, especially Discos. So as a Rover owner of a few different models I cannot tell you about ride as I like a more positive road reaction ride, as I also have MINIs and Jags. But am very satisfied with the Continentals now. I had Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts on all my older Rovers and Ford Supercrew 4X4. The Duelers took my wife to 70+K miles.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahh yes tires and the LR3/LR4. It is never easy. Living up north near the mountains I run two sets of wheel/tire combos. A winter set and a spring/summer/fall set.

Strangely enough my favourite tire for both of my rigs have been the Pirelli Ice & Snow. I would run these as dedicated snows for the first three winters and as the tread depth decreased I would finish them off as a summer tire. I drove all over North America on these Ice & Snows and they were my favourite. They are quiet, absorb impacts well and the tread wear is very good. As they neared 5/32 they began to get a little snakey in heavy rain.

Currently my LR4 has 20" wheels for summer and the previous owner threw in some new Pirelli Scorpions (255/50-20). I will mount them up this spring and we will see how it goes. I hear they drive well but wear fast and get loud. They would not be my first choice if I was buying.

My winter set that is mounted right now are Toyo Open Country Observe G-02 (255-55-19) . These things are great in the snow and on ice (better than the Pirelli Ice and Snow) but are loud on dry roads, so there is a trade off.

If I had to pick an all season tire from what is currently available I would probably lean towards the Pirelli Verde. Perhaps the Michelin. Update: The Firestone ST looks like it may be a sleeper. Good reviews and cheap!

my .02

Last edited by ktm_525; 12-15-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Winching
Default Michelin Latitud Tour HP

So, I went and bought yet another set of new tires for the LR4. I've read tire ratings from people who say "that was the worst tire I've ever owned. I wont buy tires ever again from so and so". I just can't see myself hating having to drive the LR4 for the next 3 years until a bad set of tires wears out and I have to buy another, so I bought it now.

For those of you out there wondering like I was after buying my LR4 last month what is the best set of tires for it right now, I now have your answer after trying 3 different sets: Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Just had them installed yesterday. Going from the Alenzas to the Latitudes feels like taking off Dutch Wooden Clogs and putting on sneakers.

The alenzas don't feel "mushie", but rather have a nice road feed back and a proper feel of firmness while somehow managing to absorb road imperfections to provide a "responsibly soft" ride. So far, they grab the road perfect in the wet, they are quiet, comfortable and responsive. I would guess the life of the tire wont be the best but I refuse to drive on Wooden Clogs just to get an extra 15k miles out of my tires. Plus if I they don't make it to the 55k warranty mark, I'd much rather deal with Michelin for a prorated price on my next ones.

They are not cheap, but I'm telling you, they are worth every penny. If on the other hand you are just worried about tires that will last longer and you have no snow where yo ulive, then by all means get the Alenzas. But if you want quality and no compromise from your tires, I think I've found the winner.

I will post later when I have the chance to use them in the snow/ice and even later as they begin to wear for a follow up. Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
JavaRacer (12-17-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 09:44 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced oem Conti's with Michelin Lat Tour HPs. After a few hundred miles on dry highway and winter snows in ny, I've been happy. A full review, no, too early to say.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Mudding

Any updates on the Michelins? The Pirelli Zeros that I had may be junk so I am in the market for a set of 255/50-20 for the LR4. As I mentioned I run a separate tire/wheel combo in the winter so I am not hung up on snow performance for this set. Were the Alenzas that bad? I can't believe the ride was no good. What pressures were you running? I find the LR rec. pressures to be goofy. 42psi in the rear assumes full load (trailering etc). I typically run 35-36 psi on all four corners with good wear.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we run pirelli ice and snow on our LR4, and Michelin on all our other rovers...... the pirelli's work great in our harsh MA winters.... just sayin...

Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Mudding

Yes the Pirelli Ice and Snow was my favourite all round tire for the LR4. It is too bad Pirelli is phasing them out in favour of the new Pirelli Winter SUV.

In terms of nasty winter performance the current Toyo Open Country G-02 Observes are much better than the Pirelli Ice and Snow. On dry pavement it flips to the Pirelli. Bridgestone is also now making their popular DMV1 snow tire in the 255/55-19 size which is great news.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Winching

As promised UPDATE:

To answer an earlier post, yes the Alenzas were THAT bad. I was using the LR recomended tire PSI (36/42) if I remember correct of the top of my head. That being said, and on to the update, the Michellins are quite noticeably smoother than the Alenzas even while running them again at 36/42 so if I were to let out a little air for comfort I can only imagine how much smoother they'd feel. The obvious benefit being, why suffer lower gas milage by deflating the tires when the ride quality is quite acceptable as is.

Got a little snow this week. Just enough acumulation for it to ice over at night and to slush on the main roads. Considering that the Michelins are just "all season" tires, I'd have to say that they have provided more grip than I expected in the wintery stuff. I feel once again confident taking the LR out in the snow. They are still perfectly quiet, responsive and comfortable. They track straight even on the rough "shaved" concrete highways. Still too early to post about their expected lifespan, but as of right now, I plan to buy no other tire for my LR4.

Quick Reply: LR4 tires; yes, again