General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (Few Issues)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (Few Issues)

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE a few days ago. It has a few issues & was wondering if I could fix them myself without bringing it back to where I got it from.

1.) Steering wheel controls. None of them seem to be working? Cruise Control, Volume etc. Is this a plug that just needs to be plugged in?

2.) Heated seats not working. The button lights up on the climate control but seats dont seem to be heating up? is there somthing thats not plugged in?

3.) Vibration on the passanger side. The dealer balanced the wheels supposedly, but the vibration is still there? Its not bad, but bad enough to be annoying.

Any help on these issues is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh

Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Drifting

you can find a lot of information here...

http://www.rangerovers.net/newrremedies.htm

heated seats tend to go on these, I think mine are about done as well, and it seems like a PITA to fix.

Are you sure you're turning your master cruise control switch on when trying it? took me a few drives to figure it out. Its on the dash by the hazard lights. volume I dont know though.

vibration sounds bad to me. from what i've read these machines are supposed to run pretty smooth and any vibration may be a bad sign.

hope it helps...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the P38 Range Rover. These trucks have quite a few little annotances that will drive you mad at times. Follow the link above and you will find excellent documentation on all the small things that create these issues.

The steering wheel controls may be a combination of items as well that are showing up together. The cruise control issue may be a vacuum hose, the stereo controls I am not sure of.

The heated seats are very common for the elements to stop working, usually you can fix then to let the backs work but not the bottoms unless you replace the elements and that is not as easy as it sounds.

Vibration could be from a couple of things, is it definately only coming from passenger side? If it is not the tire then it could be a bent wheel, bad wheel bearing, or who knows unless you pull it apart and start looking for worn parts.

How may miles are on it by the way?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
4wd Low

I just went and got all 4 wheels balaced. They said it was badley in need of it. It seems a little better. I know i'm in need of 2 rear tires. They are pretty warn.o I need to get used to the small annoyances since i'm coming from a 2007 F-150.

I have been on Rangerovers.net & didnt see anything on vibration other than the drive train?

It doesnt seem that any of the electronics are working on the steering wheel. I have the cruise button on the dash on but no luck.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uniform tire wear is very important on these vehicles. I had some front tires that were very unevenly worn compared to the back. This caused a vibration on the passenger side. Replacing the tires and re-aligning them fixed my problem.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 AM
4wd Low

I am going to replace the rear tires I think. That type of thing really bugs me.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest that you replace all 4 of the tires that way you wont put an undo stress on the rest of the drive train and possibly damage the transfer case.
You might also consider adding a new spare as well.
If a set of tires are rolling faster than another set then the transfer wont be giving an even amount of torque to both of the drive axles and this can cause the transfer to fail or possibly damage the third member in either differential

Old 01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
4wd Low

I think i will do that. I have also noticed that the tires on it are 255/65/R18 when the manual calls for 255/55/R18. Would this make a difference?

Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Wal Mart they have some Bridgestone Duelers that will fit the 18 in rims about 160 a tire

Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Rock Crawling

DO NOT get the Duelers. I had them on for about 10,000 miles before I took them off, total junk and I wouldn't trust my life with them. However if you don't live where you get a lot of snow these tires would probably be fine. I just got a set of Michelin LTX A2 and I LOVE them. We have been getting a lot of snow in MI and they just eat it up. I also drive a ton of miles (over 4,000 in the past month) and they handle well on the highway.

Quick Reply: 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE (Few Issues)