General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 HSE problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:32 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 HSE problems

Hey everyone, just want to point out that I appreciate the help it's making my purchase a lot easier. I have driven a few rrs for test driving and now I'm back to the one I posted about that is on ebay. I just went to glance on ebay and I noticed it was up again for a much lower price $6900, which is awesome. Then I read the description again and it went from limited warranty to as-is and they stated the problems. This is what it says:

Unfortunately, there are some problems with the vehicle that will have to be addressed. The check engine and ABS lights are illuminated. In addition, there is a problem with the battery cable that requires the cable to be removed and then put back in place for the vehicle to be started. We do not have a mechanic who is qualified to work on this vehicle so we have reduced the price below our cost for a quick sale. Please note that the vehicle is being sold As-IS.

I don't know what to think of this, could it be a good thing or bad. They've reduced the price about 2k, can this issue be solved at a somewhat reasonable price? I've found a couple mechanics on craigslist that specialize in land rovers, bmws, and jags that do work a lot cheaper. I would also definitely take it to a Land Rover dealer to just have it looked at first, if I really considered buying it. Any advice on this batter cable issue? Thanks again.

edit: PS: it has almost 92k miles.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having it checked by a dealer or your mechanic is the best idea. I would say if they find things wrong with the RR make a list in your mind and the cost to fix them. Subtract that number from his asking price. Sounds like the used car dealer just wants to move this RR off his lot so you kinda have him where you want him. Also, use kelly blue book to find out what is a fair price and subtract the amount of money needed to have this RR back on the road with minimal worries. Hope this helps somewhat. Let us know how it turns out!
RROJ

Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cable needing to be disconnected and reconnected sounds like a security issue with the immobilizer. Is there any message in the instrument panel that says "engine disabled" or "alarm fault"? Does the abs light go away when you start moving? If it does that is completely normal. If the ABS, Trac, and Brake light are on, there is a problem with the braking system which can span from the brake pump, pressure switch or modulator. Do you notice any odd behavior while braking? Is it the service or the actual check engine light? I would take it to auto zone or equivalent and have them read the codes to see why the check engine light is on. $6900 is a very good deal as long as there isn't anything else wrong with it.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Mudding

LRScott,

Not to take away from the topic but my 02 Range Rover has the ABS, Trac, and Brake Light turn on at startup when doing a cold start, but they all go out when the ABS light goes out after 5mph, on a warm start its just the ABS light like normal. Any ideas? The truck runs perfectly fine....

Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

think its abs pump pressurizing brake/hyd system. takes a minute to build
up pressure but accumulator could be going. I think.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Pro Wrench

What Hammerma said is correct. A strong pump with a good accumulator will take about 10 to 15 seconds to build up enough pressure to extinguish the lights. When you go to restart the vehicle you don't see the lights because the pressure is already built up. The ABS light will remain on until you go over 5mph like you witnessed. Idk why LR decided to do that with the ABS light because it causes a lot of confusion.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Mudding

Thanks! The ABS light never concerned me because I was used to it from my Disco. But the brake and trac lights gave me a good scare when it first happened. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, since it was running fine I passed it off as a electrical glitch, but at least I know it is not that.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Mudding

Odd how my Disco never did the brake and trac lights though... Must of had a stronger pump???

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Pro Wrench

Discoveries do not use an electric pump. They use a conventional pneumatic master cylinder. I don't know why they used an electric pump on the RR, it confuses more mechanics and is just a weird system all around. It isn't that hard to service though... Which is sort of nice. The ridiculous part happens when you go to replace the pump, the prices are very high unless you buy used, which is usually a gamble.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Mudding

Thank you! I learned alot.