General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Range Rover Trans Failsafe Prog

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Range Rover Trans Failsafe Prog

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE L322. It is showing the following message:

Trans Failsafe Prog

Took it to the dealership, and they told me that output speed sensors are required to be replaced as they are giving false reading. They replaced the speed sensors and all faults and codes were cleared but the message showed up again.

Vehicle goes into Limp Home Mode into 4th gear. This only happens once the vehicle is moving and not on start up.

Also, if I switch off the vehicle and restart it again, the message goes away, but once the vehicle is moving, the message comes again and the vehicle goes into Trans Failsafe Prog.

Vehicle has travelled 95,000 kms, transmission is fully serviced and all the gear changes are smooth.

The vehicle is back at the dealership. Would really appreciate if someone could help!

Thanks

Dap

Old 04-24-2011, 11:59 AM
4th Gear
Default Trans-fail safe

TRANSMISSION SOLENOID CONTROL SWITCH maybe bad . Once it gets hot it will keep trans. in low range , and once switch cools it works fine for a while . About an 1800 dollar fix at dealer . I'm having the same problem .

Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

Sorry to hear about your troubles- I just recently experienced the very same thing- dealership had my Range Rover for 3 weeks trying to figure it out.. they replaced the output sensor to no avail, confirmed the output shaft was good- was on the phone with their tech support... turned that I needed the transfer motor replaced. The dealership took care of me with the total bill and gave me a 2010 loaner rover in the meantime.. I researched other forums and it could be a whole host of issues- from radiator to charging system... take it back to the dealership- they'll figure it out. good luck
- T

Old 02-21-2017, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dap_nz
Hi All,

I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE L322. It is showing the following message:

Trans Failsafe Prog

Took it to the dealership, and they told me that output speed sensors are required to be replaced as they are giving false reading. They replaced the speed sensors and all faults and codes were cleared but the message showed up again.

Vehicle goes into Limp Home Mode into 4th gear. This only happens once the vehicle is moving and not on start up.

Also, if I switch off the vehicle and restart it again, the message goes away, but once the vehicle is moving, the message comes again and the vehicle goes into Trans Failsafe Prog.

Vehicle has travelled 95,000 kms, transmission is fully serviced and all the gear changes are smooth.

The vehicle is back at the dealership. Would really appreciate if someone could help!

Thanks

Dap
Same problem so what did you do to fix it