General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning your head liner

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning your head liner

I smell pipe smoke in my recently purchased preowned 02 RR. I can shampoo the rugs easily, but how on earth do you clean the head liner. I'm thinking once it gets cleaned and can enjoy the rich smell of conditioned leather!
Any suggestions?
RROJ

Old 06-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a difficult problem, since the headliners can be very brittle. I'd start with something mild first and see if that works. So, perhaps try some Febreeze or similar product and mist the length of the headliner. Don't soak it, just mist. Probably have to repeat a few times. Make sure you wipe up any that gets on your leather just in case.

If that doesn't quite get the job done, I've used Scent Killer before - it is stuff I use for archery hunting to eliminate human scent, basically a carbon spray. It works pretty well too.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Ozium air sanitiser. Can be found in Wal-Mart and the like. It is actually an air sanitiser rather than masking the scent. I heard years ago that commercial airliners use it, but I don't know the validity of that statement.

What I do know from experience: Way back when I was 16 (more than half my life ago), my parents went away for the weekend, and I, of course, had a party. I don't know how many packs of cigarettes were smoked in the house, but the day before parents came home the house reeked of smoke. I bought 2 cans of Ozium, and emptied them both the night before parents returned.

They didn't smell a thing when they got home!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Excellent ideas!! I knew if I turned to you guys that someone had a remedy. Remember the days of smoking on planes. They had to do something and I will bet it was one of the ideas above. The carbon spray is an interesting thought because I know that carbon is used to remove musty scents and carbon packets are used in aquariums to remove a lot of the ammonia that the fish produce.
Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try and let you know how it all turns out. Any other ideas too are welcomed. Persistence is the key in many problems.
Thanks again to you both Chris X and lordmorpheus!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RROJ - this is the product I use: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...080&hasJS=true

I also used it one time when our cat soiled the carpet. I couldn't believe it but it took the smell out. If it can take out cat pee, it can take out anything!

There are tons of similar products on the market - you can find them at just about any sporting goods store. Just be careful, some are scented to smell like "fresh earth" which is basically dirt. I don't think you want that one!

Yes please let us know how it goes for you.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Chris,
I will be making the purchase soon. Its funny I have so many things to do and life keeps getting in the way of cleaning my headliner. lol I will definitely share my results with the LR crew!
Thanks again for the additional ideas. From all the viewers I think we are helping many Range Rovers smell like just leather again!
Stay tuned everyone.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RROJ, be very carefull with the head liner they start with a small area sagging and then the whole thing starts to come down. If you want you can replace the head liner here is a link to a place that sells replacement kits. (By the way it's not a fun job) But the black one looks cool. Some of the guys on the Disco side of the forum paint the interior roof rather then replacing it. Again, NOT a fun Job
http://www.landroverheadliner.com/

Old 06-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Skyguy
Thank you for the liner web site. I hope it doesn't come to that. Would you believe that I have not had the time to pick up the products needed to clean that liner. Life justs gets in the way sometimes. lol I will keep everyone posted on which product works!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I hear you