General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a new guy ...would ya

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a new guy ...would ya

Thanks ! I am going to look at a 1996 Range Rover tonight. I have never owned and Land Rover products before.
What should I be on the lookout for?

I do know that is has had the air suspension replaced with a coil setup and its possibly slightly lifted. It appears to be completely stock except for the suspension. It currently has 187k .

Thanks for all your time and knowledge ! Great site keep up the good work!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check out rangerovers.net if you are brand new to LR. Check the usual things, like fluids, listen for noises etc. Go through the buttons and switches and check them for functionality, make sure the engine is NOT overheating. Check the service records, expect to replace the head gaskets soon if they haven't been replaced already. If everything is up to par and it runs well, go for it! What are they asking for it btw?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Rock Crawling

a 1996 with 187k needs to be CHEAP!!!! I's say around $3,000 or so but it had better be nice. If the previous owner stayed up on maintenance you should be ok. If you suspect it hasn't been meticulously cared for I would run as fast and as far away as you can.

Last edited by krazzz; 07-20-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Overlanding

Well just got back from seeing / driving it. There is no way that I could have ever guessed that this 96 has 187k miles on it! This rig looks great! It does have a coil conversion lift on it and Old Man Emu shocks. Other than that it is bone stock. Runs great , drives great, shifts good. No leaks , no scratches. He is asking $4200.00.
The only possible glitch is that the twin, fan / heat / a/c motors are acting funny. They won't start on their own, if you open the filter covers and touch the fan they start right up and stay running until you shut them off. Any Thoughts? Bad Ground?
Great Guy , a whole yard full of Land Rovers , I think there were a total of 8 Land Rovers there. That made me feel better. They are selling due to an increase in family size, and not enough seats in the Range Rover .

What your thoughts Guys? You are the experts here. Irregardless if this is "THE" one for me , I want a Land Rover, specifically a Range Rover!

Thanks to all!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Overlanding

Thanks to all for all your input!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4200 is kinda steep. I would low ball them at 3500 and see what they do. Rovers will last a long time so long as they are not over heated and they are very well looked after. Mine runs great at it's mileage, better than some of my other newer vehicles. It is not unusual to see rovers over 200k. Just be prepared for a few major things like head gaskets and transmission o ring replacements (not a huge deal as long as you do it yourself).

Old 07-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Rock Crawling

I agree with Scott. $4,200 is VERY steep. I think $3,500 is still high. I got my '97 HSE with 105k miles for $4,000. My truck is very clean. I love Rovers, this wasn't my first and wont be my last.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is high on mileage but if it was taken care of then it could be better than one with 100K on it. I say if you can get it for $3500 then it is not bad. You already will not have to deal with the EAS system so you are ahead of the game already. The fans could be simple or bad it depends. Shoot the guy an offer and see what he says, if he has Rovers then he knows he cannot get top dollar but he may also know that a good Rover is worth something more than the car lot guy.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Mudding

Sounds pretty fair for $3500 if it is indeed in great shape with no leaks. The used car market is actually in pretty good shape these days so prices are a touch high. I wouldn't go over $3800 i don't think.

Got any pics?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Overlanding

Well I'm buying it ,(tomorrow eve) ! Got it for just under $3800. I feel that it has been extremely well kept mechanically ! Pretty excited to get her home!
Wooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooo I am going to be a Land Rover owner ..........................Finally !

Thanks guys for all your input!!

See ya on the trails up here in Maine !!

Quick Reply: Help a new guy ...would ya