General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I keep new rover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I keep new rover?

Hi just bought a black 97 range rover 4.6 HSE with 96k for 3k... it's been in a garage it's whole life(and shows it) there is very little rust and no rot anywhere for a new England car that is ridiculous... anyways it has full service records for it's entire life of one owner and she took care of it good sending it to the stealership every time..

A lot of stuff has all ready been replaced(electrical and heat) and other than fixing the plastic piece in the sunroof nothing else is going on.. I am currently replacing air bags for coils... not because i can't afford to fix but because i am all set with being stuck somewhere because the airbags or compressor let go... I own a standard discovery and that thing is so reliable!! just getting cold feet from horror stories i guess... especially if the battery dies... good grief.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! That's really good mileage for that year of a car.. What year is the Discovery? If the discovery is a 3.6 or a 3.9 or even a 4.0, you'll have to replace the head gaskets and possibly resurface the heads every 150,000 miles. It's not every day that a person can find a car in that state. The 4.6 hasn't had too many problems... with blowing the head gaskets.... The Range Rovers are great cars, as well as the discoveries... If you want more of a luxury car, then go with the Range Rover. If you want more of an off road-er then go with the discovery. The discovery has more of a ground clearance than the Range Rover (if you switch to coil). I just recently got a WONDERFUL deal on a Range Rover as well. I can relate what decision that you have to make. A friend of mine has a 1999 Discovery Series 2 and my heart was set on getting one until I had the opportunity of getting a Range Rover. The battery stories are myths... all batteries die... If you're nervous about that, then you should get a new battery that you keep in plastic or a container, and keep it in the back.. the batteries go out just like any other vehicle. Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Overlanding

yea well my discovery is a 95 3.9 and its at 147.... my lasst discovery 4.0 manual went to 212k before i crashed it, then i sold it still running to some kid to use for beater...

but anyways the discovery does not compare to the rover in any way possible... the range rover is no powerhouse but it is more highway driver than my lifted disco and would be perfect for ski trips and going back and forth to school(12 min high way drive)... if i decide not to sell i'll post pics when it comes back from being detailed and buffed... i'm probably going to get rid of the Ferrari wheels for some hurricanes too... thanks for your quick response and my battery comment was meant:

if you disconnect the battery or it dies completely you have to tow it to the stealership.. this means i need to have another car hooked up to my battery lines in order for me to disconnect and install a power wire for the amp... that is redonkulous...

Old 11-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Drifting

That's exactly right.. the Range Rover is more luxurious... it's a highway drive most definitely. The battery being disconnected and having to be towed is a crock... I've disconnected the battery to my car, hooked it back up, and yes.. it won't want to do anything.. that's true... you leave it in acc mode for 30 minutes.. and then the lights will come back on.. you then put the code in the radio.. and it'll start right back up!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Overlanding

nice!! i'll keep the battery connected with jumpers though... so i'm not waiting 30 min.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Yeah, that's a good thing to do.. it's a pain when you have to go to a meeting and your car won't start.. heh.. I have a Honda that took me there though.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a great deal on a rover. If she is in good shape, keep it. I like discovery as much as the next guy, but on long trips, you just can't beat the RR's comfort. I off road with mine several times and so far haven't needed any help. Discovery has a better ground clearence factor than RR because the wheel base is shorter. The P38 is the same length as the RR LWB. And the Discovery is the same as the SWB RR. Don't know about the II series though...

Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Overlanding

Yea it's mint!! they didn't post pics and i was like only owner... i'll take a look.. and it was a grandmas car it's whole life so got it!! i was so excited, my girlfriends mouth dropped when she saw it in the driveway and wants to buy it off me...lol so comfortable and the dash is huge!! i can't reach the rubber tray on the dash unless i lean forward and im 6'1.. can't wait to go on ski trips this winter... nice cruiser for sure, i'll be asleep in the passenger seat... HA!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the dash reminds me of a ships bridge for some reason. When I get in the thing I feel like I'm at the helm of a large battle ship . I am also 6' 1".

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Yeah, even though a 2007 Mercedes-Benz ML350 is my first... the Range Rove is my second...Then a 2003 Honda Accord EX, then a 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II.. It's so hard to categorize them, but that's my final answer.. You've SO lucked out Gasha!

Quick Reply: Should I keep new rover?