General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying.

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new family car I am looking for someone to convince me to buy a Range Rover Sport (or maybe full RR ?).

I am looking at low mileage 06-07 models (<20kmiles) and have found some really good deals, however I have also run across many negative reviews of the car and Land Rover reliability in general.

Can you guys offer some advice? The other car in the mix is a used BMW 750Li (although those have their own problems I am finding....What is it with luxury cars and poor reliability?)

Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the big issue with luxury cars is that they are on the cutting edge of technology and so there are always bugs to work out. It is not like the goodies have just trickled down the line and have been proven through many years of revisions. With that said there are certain quirks that the Range Rover has that you must take into consideration. You need to service it when it is needed, sometimes before it needed and cannot be ignored. If you want something like that then you do not want a Rover.

They have uncomprimised comfort and I think is one of the best rides around. The BMW and the Rover are completely different and hard to compare since they have such specific uses. If you can handle a few quirks then it is a great vehicle, there is a reason we all love them.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Here is an honest response from a 2006 RRSSC owner. I bought the truck new in May of '06 and still own it. I love the engine, handling, style, etc. but have had a ton of issues with it. Everything from little issues; windshield washer fluid hose that took 3 visits to fix to more significant issues (all of the bushings needed to be replaced). On the whole, it has been in the shop 14 or so times, for various issues. The saving grace for me is the dealership is less than a half mile from my house, so I can deal with it. As you likely know, there is a ton of electronic "aids" in the truck and a lot of these flare up from time to time. A real time example would this last weekend, my wife had the truck 3 hours away (doing some humane society dog rescue stuff) and on the way back it thought it sensed something with the engine and forced her into "limp mode" (i.e. 30 mph on the highway). She pulled over and after restarting, everything was back to normal and 75 mph the rest of the way home. I have been told this is mainly a first run issue ('06 was the first year of the sport) and later years have been better, although I can't confirm. If you have a low mileage 2007, I would head that way as I do believe there were a lot of kinks worked out after the 2006. As I said before, I love the truck on the whole and am looking at replacing it with a '10 SC but if the dealerhip was more than a few miles away, maybe not.........

Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Make sure you're buying a certified pre-owned unit. The 100k mile warranty will give you huge peace of mind.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A real time example would this last weekend, my wife had the truck 3 hours away (doing some humane society dog rescue stuff) and on the way back it thought it sensed something with the engine and forced her into "limp mode" (i.e. 30 mph on the highway). She pulled over and after restarting, everything was back to normal and 75 mph the rest of the way home.
Thats a RR for you... If you consider that a problem. Don't buy one. Our Jag does it my RR does it, my friends' RRs do it. Little electrical gremlins are just part of it. Restarting the car makes the weird behavior cease 90% of the time. I turned the radio on one day and everything went blank, instruments and everything. Turned the radio off and everything came back. Turned the radio on again and everything was fine... These cars like to mess with you. If you can put up with their imperfections, you will have a vehicle that you will refuse to ever part with . If you are not very mechanically inclined, I would do what njb8199 said and get a pre-owned RR. You end up paying an extra 5k, but its worth it unless you have a good cheap rover mechanic, or will do the work yourself.

Last edited by LRScott; 05-28-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 AM
6th Gear

Not trying to thread jack or anything but im also in the market for a RR and also curious to know like when are the usual service periods ??..

Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you fly Boeing 727s, Rover 727? Just curious. Well aside from oil changes, the dealer will usually need to service it every 25k miles. It varies between the year you purchase too. The newer ones seem to have larger gaps between servicing. The most accurate answer you can receive on this question, is to contact a local dealership and ask.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:14 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LRScott
Do you fly Boeing 727s, Rover 727? Just curious. Well aside from oil changes, the dealer will usually need to service it every 25k miles. It varies between the year you purchase too. The newer ones seem to have larger gaps between servicing. The most accurate answer you can receive on this question, is to contact a local dealership and ask.
Flying planes....lol...

Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 AM
3rd Gear
Default looking @ buying a 1995-1998 RR

Hi, I've been a jeep Guy for many years. Now that I'm getting older, wiser and one back surgery later. I'm looking for more of a smooth and comfortable ride. My question to you all, what to look for in a used RR, I don't want to be taken. Any info can help and would be appreciate. Thanks

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying.