Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between Discovery Models? S, SE, HSE etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between Discovery Models? S, SE, HSE etc.

Just chatting
Hey guys hows it going, im new to these forums and well relatively new to Land Rovers too, although my dads been driving them since the first Discoveries were introduced, I am a previous Jeep Wrangler (2005) owner and as I rolled that off a cliff on a off roading trip a while back, I am now in the market for a Land Rover Discovery, because, they come in Diesel, and they just look plain awesome, love the car

Now I am looking at the Discovery Series 2, I would like to get a 2002 model, before May however as they seem to get more expensive after May, and I figure I can change the headlights myself relatively easily.

Question
I would like to know however, what are the differences between the different models? As in I've seen S, HSE, SE etc. Ive tried googling for this with no avail, is there any website that could just list for me these differences, or maybe one of you kind people could help me out

Also as I am looking into the 2002 model (before May), what, if any, are the major changes they made after that, apart from the headlights, up to when the Discovery Series 3 was released (which I ****en hate!). As in were there any major changes to the engine/body or anything? So what im basically asking is from 2002 till 2004 (or whenever the Series 3 was introduced, ie. last Series 2 model) were there any other major design changes?

I am hoping to get this car as soon as possible, as I want to drive around Australia and my temporary Peugeot 405 SRI just blew up on me [:-]

Thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Differences between Discovery Models? S, SE, HSE etc.

I can only tell you what we see in the US.

They just go up in grades and options from S as the base with duragrain seats, to SE with leather and better stereo's, to HSE on top with DVD players and head phones. No body changes within the same year.

late 01 to 02- old style headlights with 4.0 petrol engine
03- facelift and 4.6L petrol engine
04- same as 03 with the addition of a manual locking transfer case.

I would hold out for the 04, it is the best year IMHO. That said, you could save a few bucks on an earlier model and spend it making it like a new one. If you are interested in the headlamp upgrade, I have instructions I would be more than happy to send you. Just PM me with your E-mail...

Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for your reply.

So the differences between the specs is only in little things like interior trim, AV Equipment etc. I don't care too much about that, as long as its got a nice interior, and I will be ripping out all the old AV Equiptment anyway.

So what makes the 2004 the best year? The 2002 model I was looking at was actually just withdrawn from sale so im pretty pissed hah [:@]

I would be getting something between 1998 - 2002 by the looks of it, as im only 20 and a uni student so I dont have too much cash to throw around, plus im going to be needing some of it for an audio system. 2003 to 2004 is getting out of price range. As long as its a series 2 I would be happy.

So there are no other cosmetic/mechanical changes between 1998 to 2004 on a diesel TD5 version, apart from the headlights and the manual transfer locking case? I just want to understand this to make sure I dont miss out on something huge.

If I bought one between 1998 and 2002 and put in the new headlights, would it look and perform identical to even the 2004 model, that is with the exception of the Manual Transfer locking case?

I will definitely not be getting the V8 or an Automatic Transmission either.

Also my email is < se7en.hu[at]gmail.com > the instructions would be cool

Thanks alot dude.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

from 99 to early 2001, they have a lockable transfer case, but you have to add the linkage from a D1 or a solenoid. The D1's had a shifter to lock the case, and in 99, they switched to the D2 and added traction control. They still had the same case until mid 2001. The 2004 had a 4.6 engine and the shifter to lock the transfer case. We don't get diesels here.

The S also doesn't have foglights and might not have dual sunroofs. I have a D1, and I know on the SD (s) didn't have dual roofs or leather. Pretty sure there was no chance of cloth on the D2's

EDIT- I will get those instructions to you tonight. They are on my home computer..

Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 AM
8th Gear

Dont get diesels [:-] !?!

Wow, thats like one of my primary reasons for getting the car haha, my dads diesel 2002 model gets 1200km/s to a tank, while my cousins V8 gets like 400km/s.

Those changes don't really bother me then, ill just add the headlights and it should be sweet.

Whats D1/D2/SD etc?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,
D1 = Disco series 1, 1989 -1998,
D2 = Disco series 2 1999-2004, Sd is a version / spec of a particular model, ie D1 or D2

I do find it strange why the TD5 was never offered in the US, but there again, the UK never got the 4.6 either

Also you can add the D2 CDL linkage to an "early" series 2 (99-2001)

Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
8th Gear

IMO no one should be offered a 4.6 these days, but thats just my opinion, well especially with petrol prices to rise to AU$3.00 soon, but even then think about the environment man :P

Thanks for all your help guys, so what im thinking now is I get a 2000 to 2002 model (between there) and then just change over the headlights to the new style, add a ARB bullbar (painted white to suit the car), some sidesteps and a kick *** stereo system, SQ off course, possibly with Valve amps depending on prices.

What is this D2 CDL linkage all about ? Im not that educated about this yet to be able to understand all these terms haha

Old 03-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: se7en.hu

Wow, thats like one of my primary reasons for getting the car haha, my dads diesel 2002 model gets 1200km/s to a tank, while my cousins V8 gets like 400km/s.
I wish we could get diesels here. I think that the US just doesn't like them, especially certain states. I just fueled up today, diesel was 60 cents more per gallon than premium gas ($4.09 and that was much cheaper than most places). Between that and the ultra low sulfur diesel that we have to use killingour mileage it almost doesn't seem worth it.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to decide what you are going to use this truck for before you worry about options. The CDL is really important, if you plan onm a lot of wheeling and only comes on the 99"s, 2000, the first few months of production and the 04's.
Have you ever owned a 4 wheeler before?

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jkid

ORIGINAL: se7en.hu

I wish we could get diesels here. I think that the US just doesn't like them, especially certain states. I just fueled up today, diesel was 60 cents more per gallon than premium gas ($4.09 and that was much cheaper than most places). Between that and the ultra low sulfur diesel that we have to use killingour mileage it almost doesn't seem worth it.
$4.09 a gallon, my god you dont know how easy you guys have it in the US. A gallon of Diesel here in the UK now costs £4.99, or approx$10 dollars to you guys!!!. I would like a 4.6 Disco, but the fuel costs would be ridiculous....Td5 for me....

Quick Reply: Differences between Discovery Models? S, SE, HSE etc.