Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden winch mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden winch mount

I am considering mounting my Warn M8000 winch with a Dap hidden winch mount. Has anyone used one of these?

Thank you,
Willie

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/

Urban Panzer did one.
He has a write up on his site.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Willie,
How many miles on your D2 and have you done a lift yet? If you haven't, that extra weight will lower your front end even lower and you'll tear off your front bumper.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed one. I didn't particularly care for the "ram plate of death look" that you get with most brush guards.

It looked nice and got a few compliments. Very sophisticated look, IMO.

Although it's going to require some modification and cutting of your bumper, it's nothing that you can't do with a Dremmel tool.

I had a run in with a horse sized dog that destroyed my bumper. Ironically, I went with the aforementioned "ram plate of death" because it was cheaper than a factory bumper. I also now don't have to worry about oversized dogs, birds, or the odd moose should they happen to wander into my path.

Can't comment on the lower ground clearance. I did mild offroading and never bottomed out the front, but your mileage might vary.

I still have the winch tray and hardware if you're interested.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Hidden Winch mount that I bought from Meltdowndave installed now. I put a Warn M8000 on it I had laying around. The control box is mounted in the old jack location. I also hooked up a in cab control switch with a safety switch and LED.

The front only sags a 1/4 more now with the winch. I will probably get some 2" heavy duty lift springs soon. I already have OME shocks installed.

Has anyone had any problems with the mount moving while under high loads? I have not used it yet under any load. Just wondering. I have the bolts very tight. I was considering adding some brackets or turn buckles from the winch base then up to the frame.

Willie

Old 12-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

With as poorly designed as the mounts are, you will not want to do any off angle pulls or your twist the mount and frame.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't see why you say that mike, all winch mounts will "twist" under an angled pull simply because of the loads put on it.

This is the way I see it, the hidden mount is made from far thicker material than a winch bumper and the winch is set back further between the chassis rails which is a far stronger location than one hanging out in a winch bumper on the "end" of the chassis rails.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never noticed you had a winch. very nice.

the reason i'd like to get a bumper is the approach angle. seems its one of the weak links in the stock disco.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Don't see why you say that mike, all winch mounts will "twist" under an angled pull simply because of the loads put on it.

This is the way I see it, the hidden mount is made from far thicker material than a winch bumper and the winch is set back further between the chassis rails which is a far stronger location than one hanging out in a winch bumper on the "end" of the chassis rails.

Interesting point...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

The one and only mount I saw was like a 4 or 6 bolt crush can mounted set up which was not strong enough to hold the winch while bouncing around on a rough dirt road. If there are new models that are designed to be mounted directly to the frame after removing the crush cans, then I could see where these would be stronger.

Quick Reply: Hidden winch mount